Bi colour Angel bully

Davos2911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

Looking for some thoughts on my predicament. I have a 32.5 gal AIO fluval flex and currently have 2 clowns a bi colour Angel and 6 line wrasse. I added a lobster and small gold rush tang on Friday and after drip acclimatising introduced both into tank under the blue lights 4 hours before lights out.

As per usual the bi colour started harassing the tang and it quickly sought refuge in the rock. I came out a few times over the course of the next 2 days but only until the angel spotted it and started nipping at it.

To add to the strife i put some frozen muscle on a skewer to my lobster who duly came out his hidey hole and started munching away. To my astonishement the bi colour went for the lobster and stole its food and started to play rugby with it. I managed to get it back to the lobster while distracting the angel with some flake.

Unfortunately my tang disnt make it. I am pretty certain the angel pretty much harranged it to death.

The angel doesnt bother with clowns or wrasse the wrasse can hold it own. It also bullied 2 chromis I had which sadly perished too. I wanr to keep her as she is the centre piece of the tank but would like to add 2 other fish before complete. I think i might add some more rock for hidey holes before attempting any new fish. In terms of species what would you recommend? I used to have a picasso trigger in my old tank who was bad butt and he got on fine with my yellow tang. My water parameters are all within range too and had conducted a 25pc water change 2 days prior to introducing the tang.

Any help and advice would be great.

Thanks

David

OP
OP
D

Davos2911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture of the culprit

Attachments

• IMG_20201231_124112_345.jpg
    IMG_20201231_124112_345.jpg
    622.8 KB · Views: 48

ReefSapper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am usually not one to judge people on stocking because i tend to bend the 'rules' myself but in this case i think it's probably the heart of your problem. That's a bunch of fish that are way to big for that tank, no chance they all have places to hide or room to disperse aggression. The angle and 6 line are not long term solutions nor is any tang in a tank that size, my guess is you would always have some extreme aggression issues...that's my 2 pennies for what its worth.

OP
OP
D

Davos2911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thqnks Reef snapper. Yep I was thinking this might be something to do with it. My LFS said that any fish that become too big they will take them back and exchange aslong as they are in good health. I will monitor the situation in the interim and look to maybe swap out in the future. I guess given this advice I will keep the fish to thes numbers only.

ReefSapper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some cool options for tanks that size, if you're dead set on a wrasse (cant blame you for that!) perhaps look at some of the Flasher Wrasse's they stay smaller but are still very cool fish. Best of luck, hopefully things settle out a bit for ya.

OP
OP
D

Davos2911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, yeah the wrasse is cool and has stood up to the angel a few times. Interestingly enough the angel sometimes swims up to the wrasse and puts its side to it and the wrasse picks at the angel like its cleaning it. Then they just swim together. Its very interesting to watch. I ll look into the other wrasse too.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not typical bi-color angel behavior but no fishs' behavior is certain.
Unless you physically see it bully each fish to point of death- What are your parametersmainly:
Ammonia
Nitrate
ph
salinity
Temperature
Age of tank
type of water used(Rodi or tap from faucet) ?

A great way to always tell if an aggression issue is occuring is to set up your cell phone on camera mode for about 30 mins) and walk away. If you dont walk away- fish tend to know you are there and are on their best behavior.
Review that video later and see what is actually going on. If nothing, may be your water quality and related.

OP
OP
D

Davos2911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not typical bi-color angel behavior but no fishs' behavior is certain.
Unless you physically see it bully each fish to point of death- What are your parametersmainly:
Ammonia
Nitrate
ph
salinity
Temperature
Age of tank
type of water used(Rodi or tap from faucet) ?

A great way to always tell if an aggression issue is occuring is to set up your cell phone on camera mode for about 30 mins) and walk away. If you dont walk away- fish tend to know you are there and are on their best behavior.
Review that video later and see what is actually going on. If nothing, may be your water quality and related.
Vetteguy thanks for that,

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 5ppm
PH 8.1
Salinty 1.021
Temperature 78 F
Tank is 4 months old
RO water from my local fish shop

I have the fluval PS1 Skimmer
INmedia baskets with carbon purigen Matrix and Phosguard as filter media.

I will try the video thing I think. I did witness the angel chasing the tang a good few times but as Uncle 99 has pointed out my tank might be too small for it not to get territorial and have a go at others.

I am not sure how efficient the PS1 skimmer is, the collection cup is often and hit or a miss with the scum being generated. I think I might look into other options.

Thanks for the help and advice its always good to hear other folks experiences.

Many thanks

David

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back