Bicolor blenny stressed or disease?

bbPhoenix777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still new to reefing.

I just bought a bicolor blenny from my LFS. I floated the bad for 10 minutes and did a drip acclimation for 15 minutes.

After I got him in the tank I noticed he started to get white spots and bands. Is he just stressed or is it disease? It's the next day and the spots and bands are still there.
PXL_20210807_135047860~2.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For starters, fish is very thin. The spots can be sand… ich or lymphocystis but will need a better/closer pic under white lights
It needs meaty foods as a main staple

ReeferJen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The striping is a normal behavior for bicolor blennies (and tail spot blennies) My old tailspot blenny used to go striped when stressed. This one appears to have stress stripes, not a disease.

Once he's acclimated and calms down, he'll return to normal.

I have one I bought yesterday that is doing the same thing. The water in the fish store bags was 1.022, I keep my tanks at 1.025, and I acclimated for over an hour, and he's still stress striped and hiding under a rock, and I'm hoping he makes it too. I should have acclimated longer.

Leave him be, and hope for the best or take him back. I hope he calms down!

OP
OP
B

bbPhoenix777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The striping is a normal behavior for bicolor blennies (and tail spot blennies) My old tailspot blenny used to go striped when stressed. This one appears to have stress stripes, not a disease.

Once he's acclimated and calms down, he'll return to normal.

I have one I bought yesterday that is doing the same thing. The water in the fish store bags was 1.022, I keep my tanks at 1.025, and I acclimated for over an hour, and he's still stress striped and hiding under a rock, and I'm hoping he makes it too. I should have acclimated longer.

Leave him be, and hope for the best or take him back. I hope he calms down!
Thank you, RefferJen. This was it. My blenny was stressed. He has acclimated now and seems content hanging out in my cabbage coral, eating normal and swimming around the tank. The stripping is still noticeable but not nearly as pronounced.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back