Bicolor or Midas Blenny with Diamond Goby in Peaceful Tank?

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, Marine Experts! I'm still new to the marine aquarium world and I'm finishing up my stock. After a ton of research, I think I've decided to get a Blenny as my final addition, due to their funny personalities. I'm picking up my Diamond Goby and Yellow Tang this week. Already have 2 Oscillaris Clowns, a Royal Gramma, a Banggai Cardinal, a Pajama Cardinal, a Fairy Wrasse, a Springeri Damsel, a couple shrimp, a few hermits, and a few snails. I've read mixed reviews on the Midas for aggression and just plain craziness and on the Bicolor for not playing well with Gobies. I'd love some expert opinions on which I should choose. BTW, I have a 75 g FOWLR with lots of live rock and live coarse sand substrate. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it should be fine. I had a bi color blenny that was a model citizen. He liked to perch in the return nozzel whenever I turned off the return pump and get shot out when I turned it back on. Just make sure your tank is covered. Blennies tend to be jumpers.

OP
OP
MamaP

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it should be fine. I had a bi color blenny that was a model citizen. He liked to perch in the return nozzel whenever I turned off the return pump and get shot out when I turned it back on. Just make sure your tank is covered. Blennies tend to be jumpers.
Yes, I have a glass top.

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have all 3 with no problems. When I added the Midas, there was a bit of aggression with the bicolor, but they worked it out.

WMR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d pick a Midas, they’re usually out more than bicolor, & IMO less belligerent than bicolor, the only issue I see is your gramma possibly showing territorial displays to it, but, your tank is large enough, you might not have any issues

OP
OP
MamaP

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d pick a Midas, they’re usually out more than bicolor, & IMO less belligerent than bicolor, the only issue I see is your gramma possibly showing territorial displays to it, but, your tank is large enough, you might not have any issues
Awesome! Thanks for the advice!

OP
OP
MamaP

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was concerned about that at first, but was told it would be ok, since all my others will stay so small...

It has nothing to do with that. Tangs are swimmers. They cover a lot of distance in the wild. It has more to do with the length of the tank then the size itself. Tangs can become aggressive in smaller tanks as well.

OP
OP
MamaP

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has nothing to do with that. Tangs are swimmers. They cover a lot of distance in the wild. It has more to do with the length of the tank then the size itself. Tangs can become aggressive in smaller tanks as well.
Maybe he'll have to wait until I can get my next tank, which will be bigger...I would like an active swimmer, as I love to watch them swimming around. Considered a foxface rabbitfish or a butterfly, but concerned about foxface being venomous and I've been discouraged from butterflies due to them being so finicky and prone to illness... Any suggestions??

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people say you can get away with a 4ft (length) tank but your talking about a fish that will end up 8” and is known for swimming. Your best bet is a 6ft tank or longer.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s some

8D0CAB61-0113-461B-B2DA-2F532B79256C.jpeg

OP
OP
MamaP

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s some

8D0CAB61-0113-461B-B2DA-2F532B79256C.jpeg
Thank you. I've researched them as well and chose the yellow b/c they are the least aggressive. Do you know how long it takes for then to get big? Since I'm already planning a 6' larger semi-aggressive tank for the future, I'm wondering if he'd be ok until I get my bigger tank, then move him before he gets big. Will look at the ones you've suggested again, too.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how long they take to grow but as long as you have a bigger tank ready that you can switch the fish to you can get away with it. You could also put one of these in a 75.

AF2FB7B4-80D2-4F85-8A50-E170478660A9.png

OP
OP
MamaP

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: Are adult Indian Gold Ring Bristletooth Tangs brown or black as adults? I've seen pictures of both, but not sure if they are the same type of Tang or if they're different, or if they come in an array of colors... @4FordFamily you seem to be very knowledgeable about Tangs. Do you know the answer to this?

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s also known as a Kole yellow eye tang. The color gets darker as the fish matures.

Ctenochaetus strigosus

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back