Bicolour Blenny Problem

TheBeta100

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, my new Bicolour Blenny appears to have an issue, I’ve had him around 9 days and he’s been doing well but today he’s been seeming out of it. He didn’t eat and he’s been hiding in the same hole all day. He appeared to breath a little heavy and almost looked like he was coughing for a second earlier. He has been known to clean out the cave he’s hiding in of his poop so that could’ve been related to that.

Two days ago the tank did get a bit warm 79-80 F (normally 76-77) because the AC didn’t click on, but I slowly cooled it down and it’s been fine since. All other params are in check other than ph that has pretty much stayed stable at 8.0.

I don’t have anywhere to put him right now to look at him but if you think I could get a hospital tank working in a day I’m willing to do it, I can’t really get a good look of him or a picture of him where he is right now. Im going to leave him for the night and check again tomorrow to see.

Tank: Nuvo 20 peninsula, lots of dry LR, a single small piece of LR from my LFS for corraline algae, no corals yet, I’ll snap a picture when the light turns on tomorrow.

Other inhabitants:
Purple Firefish - 24 days in tank, incredibly health and happy
Peppermint Shrimp - 7 days in tank, also healthy even after a acclimation mishap
Emerald Crab - 7 days in the tank, as far as I can tell he’s happy, although I think he did nip at my Firefish’s tail when they were in the same cave (the tail is already almost healed, a very small amount was missing)
2 sapphire hermits - 7 days as well, got them for some algae as the tanks only been cycled a month

I feed them a mix of frozen spirulina and frozen Mysis, sometimes mixing in formula one pellets or prime reef flakes, and he normally eats a bit of all the above plus algae on the rock, if you guys have any ideas let me know and I’ll keep you guys updated and try and get a picture if he comes out of his cave a little further.

OP
OP
TheBeta100

TheBeta100

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he’s doing better today as I saw him eat a small amount and swim a little bit more, I’m thinking something might’ve spooked him and put him into a hiding mood, but he still isn’t as active as he’s been. I’m not too worried anymore but I’ll still keep an eye on him.

Here’s some pictures if you can see something. I have a manual camera app which allowed me to change my phone camera’s white balance to filter out the blue light. Also ignore the epoxy my friend and I may have put too much on when we aquascaped the tank. I’m just waiting for some coralline algae to help hide it.
642ACA12-EC12-4410-8082-DF756ADC3B07.jpeg
4F8CE3B2-A373-4DAD-8C7A-C6D674FEA8D7.jpeg
3BE5A043-4142-4B4A-AF4B-16908A15BB8A.jpeg

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nine days is really nothing; he's probably going to take several weeks to get used to his surroundings. You've seen him eat, so that is good!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 31 50.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 33 54.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • None.

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.6%
Back