Big Neptune Systems Announcement on Live Event Today

tjnorthdakota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me I like the ecotech/apex combo because if I ditch the apex or it takes a dive I can just plug them into wall socket and things will start running again. Doesnt hurt to have a spare return pump, though maybe not as expensive, jebao spare works just fine. Battery backup also good

A.J.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dishonest business practices. You don't offer the biggest discount on your flagship product and then release a new model 2 weeks later without telling your customers. That's just WRONG. You offer the discount on the old model after you launch the new model, the way Apple does it.

Bad leadership in my opinion.

WilRams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have invested a lot of time, money and frustrations in the last year on 2 full apex systems to run 3 tanks. I was on the fence before. Profilux has looked very promising in my research the last couple weeks. Now with this I'm def not sure what direction I'm going.

My biggest qualms have always been setup, updates, and reliability ( I have had issues). It seems like the new system fixes at least my first 2 concerns. So I'm happy about that. However all the little issues I have had to email about here and there that take days to resolve via email back and forth kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I think what I will most likely do is keep my upstairs tank running on the apex "classic" as long as I can using parts from my downstairs setup. I would sell the other setup but I am sure resale value just tanked. Then ill either be an early adopter or make the switch to Profilux.

One question. Will the old eb8 be compatible on the new system?

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in sales and marketing. You never forget your base. If fusion updates work on the legacy system it should have been said. I'll assume the guy presenting makes a lot of money and is not a low level employee which means he wouldn't forget to tell us that.
Terence is very high up at Neptune, he's the VP of sales & marketing.

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was so hesitant in buying the gold package ,I'm glad i did not . With all the negative reviews and die hard believers that think its the greatest since slice bread, was extremely hesitant.
Is this the way a supposed great company with a great product should do business? and they claim to "Listen to what we want"
:confused::eek::confused:

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought of something that could be a really cool move on Neptune's part. Offer a "head unit only" upgrade for existing apex users. Let us use all our same probes, powerbars, etc. Then we can upgrade other components as we see fit. That would at least cushion the blow. It solves the new module question without us completely abandoning our investment.

I hope they are listening :)

Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tjnorthdakota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought of something that could be a really cool move on Neptune's part. Offer a "head unit only" upgrade for existing apex users. Let us use all our same probes, powerbars, etc. Then we can upgrade other components as we see fit. That would at least cushion the blow. It solves the new module question without us completely abandoning our investment.

I hope they are listening :)

Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
problem is I would have to purchase something I dont want, beauty of the pm2 module is you can add salinity, I dont ever see the need or added cost of expensive probes to have salinity monitoring on my reef. Better option would just be to offer a firmware purchase option to make old apex campatible with the new stuff like eb832 I think.

CuseReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the big question. I'm wondering the same thing about the new iOS app. There is no reason IMHO that it couldn't work... But the same could be said for the EB832, and we see how that has worked out.

Don

Could they allow "classic apex" to use the new fusion features? Yes. Will they? Prob not. The new unit is nothing new from what they currently sell other than packaging. But now it allows them to sell their software as the big upgrade. And software is pure profit. I'm just waiting for them to start charging monthly for Fusion access. Seems the direction they are going.

I was a big Apex supporter until today. I "invested" into the apex system but now I see the writing on the wall much sooner than I expected.

And also agree the $100 drop in price was wrong to do before the announcement. There's a balance between profits and treating your customer base fair. And they showed their hand today.

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
problem is I would have to purchase something I dont want, beauty of the pm2 module is you can add salinity, I dont ever see the need or added cost of expensive probes to have salinity monitoring on my reef. Better option would just be to offer a firmware purchase option to make old apex campatible with the new stuff like eb832 I think.

That's not a horrible idea. The only issue is it would reinforce the "we limited this on purpose through software" mentality and could cause a PR nightmare. I suppose for me it made more sense because I have a salinity probe on a PM2.

At least buying the head unit, they are getting the cash influx, and we are getting new hardware and new software. We both have something to show for it. I think it's a win win in the end.

Don

CuseReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And this new Apex package really doesn't add much over the "classic Gold apex". When you think about it you lose a bunch of things.

What hardware functionality you gain with the new system (in comparison to gold)*:
- 1link ports/24V ports
- monitoring outlets individually
- wifi

What hardware functionality you lose with the new system (in comparison to gold):
- additional 6 switch inputs (new apex only has 6, gold has 12) (from the PM2 that you now only get the salinity)
- Display module
- legacy control port (for older modules that use phone cable)
- 3 aqua bus ports (EB8 now only has 3 not 6)

*ignoring integrated modules/flashy packaging

When you compare just the hardware functionality, it seems you are losing MORE features and you have to pay $100 more for it! The only way they are sweating the pot is with the fusion upgrades.... which is why I dont think they will offer them for Apex Classic otherwise people would just get the Gold system.

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sitting here thinking more.... The upgrade idea is very much like what EcoTech has done through the years with the vortech. Upgrade the driver separate from the dry side and wet side. Completely modular. The apex is also very modular. It makes a lot of sense. It gives their customers transitional options. People have always been willing to pay incrementally and I think EcoTech sells more because of it. How many of us have MP20, non ES, and ES drivers lying around? I would venture to say quite a few....

Don

Griff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fusion is the operating system for Neptune. We should all get the features they are upgrading. I'm hoping this was poor marketing and we all get the software upgrades. I hope they set the record straight soon.

tjnorthdakota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not a horrible idea. The only issue is it would reinforce the "we limited this on purpose through software" mentality and could cause a PR nightmare. I suppose for me it made more sense because I have a salinity probe on a PM2.

At least buying the head unit, they are getting the cash influx, and we are getting new hardware and new software. We both have something to show for it. I think it's a win win in the end.

Don
I think they might already have a PR nightmare on their hands, I guess I should be careful what I say also, after all, one flip of their switch and its lights out for my apex controlled reef, apex mafia, people controllers for the reef controllers

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dishonest business practices. You don't offer the biggest discount on your flagship product and then release a new model 2 weeks later without telling your customers. That's just WRONG. You offer the discount on the old model after you launch the new model, the way Apple does it.

Terrible business practice.....???? , these guys are making reefing easier, and saving bunch of us from random disasters. They probably spend a ton of time and money on RnD, + always available for support and pleasure to deal with . Gen 1 is still worth every penny IMO.

DaveJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Gets worse if you are a retailer for them. The price of their products are fixed at x. Retailers can't sell for more/less, they pay y to Neptune for the products so X-Y=Gross Receipts right? Well, with that $100 offer, they reduced the retail price, but did not offer that same amount to the retailers as a rebate. So in order to squeeze as many sales of older units they could, they reduced the price by $100, but the retailers still had to pay/or had paid the same amount. Their Gross Receipts took a hit of $100 on each product they sold AND now they have unhappy customers with obsolete products a month later and no recourse.

Ecotech did the same thing with vortecs.... one the primary reasons I stopped using vortecs.... and now its looking like I may stop using Neptune products when mine gives out.

Macro1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry fella's, I don't blame them for the change as an update was overdue but personally i think what they focused on (such as the flip up function of the controller) to be a little silly. I only mess with the plugs like once every 6 months. Also, I prefer the slimmer profile that my apex equipment currently has, but the updates on the power bar and the controller personally aren't going to make me dump my Gold system to get one.

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well what is another good controller??? If they don't plan to support the classic I will be spending my money on another one. I have 4 tanks running on mine now, and am not very happy with this change unless they will support my classic. I have spent a lot of money on what I have!!! They are great, but if they plan to drop us after supporting them I will readily buy something else!!

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think it is a slap to the face while laughing to the bank on all current Apex owners. Even more so, the ones whom just purchased the GOLD package while with on current special of $100 off have been cheated when they could have simply just waited and gotten the new controller. But because Neptune is anxious to sell off the old controllers, they intentionally lowered the value of the older style controllers so that reefers would buy then remorsefully upgrade to the new controller while getting rid of the "outdated" model. Also, with the new release video of the Vertex Controller, it seemed as if it was a panic attack on Neptune's behalf. Just my opinion.

MCooper

MCooper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought the gold unit 1 month ago and haven't even hooked it up! Wow I feel like I got smacked in the face. It is still in the box, just opened the box to check it out. Damnnnnn

MCooper

MCooper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm extremely frustrated. Purchased this right before the 100 dollar price drop. Oh well bad timing. Now I hear this! My tank build was stalled due to a delay and issue with shipping in the tank. Now I find out my Neptune is obsolete well not obsolete but you see where I'm going with this. Also had a delay because one major retailer online couldn't ship me the right rock order. finally by the third order it's right. they did cover all the orders free to me but took apprx a week each time, delayed things a lot. I've had discouraging news at every turn while trying to do this build. I'm extremely discouraged. I have way to much money and time invested to throw in the towel but this news didn't help any. I didn't even know they were developing something new. I would have definitely waited but I guess that was the point. I think it's been to long to return it and in addition I of course opened it because I was excited. Well thanks Neptune not excited anymore!
Same exact scenario as you. Simply opened the box to check it out and that is all. So bummed

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back