Big PAR difference between Apogee MQ-210 and MQ-510 on LEDs

zoaprince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm aware that only the 510 meter is made for LEDs but I didn't think the difference would be so vast. Overall the MQ-210's readings are much higher, on average 50% higher.

I'm just wanting to make sure that it is expected that the 510 reads lower, and if there is some known equation between the two meters when it comes to LEDs.

Thanks!

Readings were done on a Radion XR15 Blue with the LPS/Softy pre installed spectrum.

OP
OP
zoaprince

zoaprince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to update this in case someone finds this through search.

The issue was I did my initial readings for MQ-510 when my glass was covered in algae. Woops :oops:. I scraped it all off and the readings were very similar. Less than 5% difference.

For clarification, I did the readings with an MQ-210 about 6 months ago (it was borrowed) and did not have access to it now for a direct comparison. I was comparing the 510 readings to numbers I had written down from 6 months on the 210.

Pete_the_Puma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait a second,

how does algea on the glass affect PAR readings? You place the PAR meter in the water below the light, doesn’t feel like the cleanliness of the glass should have much effect or is that much light reflected back into the tank from the glass??

OP
OP
zoaprince

zoaprince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait a second,

how does algea on the glass affect PAR readings? You place the PAR meter in the water below the light, doesn’t feel like the cleanliness of the glass should have much effect or is that much light reflected back into the tank from the glass??
The major discrepancies were near the glass, but overall did get different readings all around. I am a noob and didn't realize the light bounced off the glass and made such a big difference.

Last edited:

KGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait a second,

This is rarely mentioned but internal reflection of light on the side glass panels can contribute a large portion of PAR. When the incidence angle of a light ray and the glass is low then it gets reflected back in the tank.

KGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is rarely mentioned but internal reflection of light on the side glass panels can contribute a large portion of PAR. When the incidence angle of a light ray and the glass is low then it gets reflected back in the tank.
It’s great because then your corals then also get light from more angles. Another reason to keep your glass clean.

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the price difference better the 510 and 210 worth it or is the less expensive 210 good for measuring par in our reef tanks accurately ?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back