Big problem

Discussion in 'Algae (including nuisance algae and bacteria)' started by rmiles54, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Deniss

Deniss Well-Known Member

Maybe it is because the algae is pulling the water more "cleaner" in N and P wise. I had to dose 3 times a day during the peak algae outbreak to prevent 0 readings.
    But on the other side i have read that algae can spread out a substance to combat for space against other living things..but i'm not sure if this is actually true or not.

2. rmiles54

rmiles54 Well-Known Member

Well I’ll be home late this evening and am looking forward to seeing if the flucon is making up any ground on this algae. I’ll get some pics up tomorrow. Anyone know if it would be harmful to add a sea hare to try and help the flucon?

3. rmiles54

So far it’s still a little hard to tell if there’s anything happening after the flucon treatment. May be starting to grey out in a few places. I went ahead and added the sea hare. Slowly moving along. I treated last Sunday. Here’s some updates as of today. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Still hoping for the best. Anyone added a fuge to a bare bottom tank? Would I need sand in the fuge? Im only looking at growing chaeto. Thoughts?

4. rmiles54

Can anyone point me in the direction to find out if I️ can just add chaeto to my sump and a light? I️ have no substrate, sumo has a couple old frag plugs in it. Also, I’m really getting worried about this stuff overtaking my coral. I’ve noticed since the last time I️ removed all my rocks and tooth-brushed all this stuff off the best I️ could, my Powder Blue is showing some white spot. not good.. I’ve had him for over a year he’s doubled in size and is a pig! He still eats but this morning he was covered substantially more than the last few days. The sailfin has minor spots and longest resident, Naso has nothing! I’m sure I’ve added stress with the year down, I’m not sure if the flucon has added stressed! I️ have another tank.

5. rmiles54

Update.. as far as white spot, All fish are still eating and moving about as normal. Today is 1 week from initial dose. Last night I️ was losing hope as I️ couldn’t really tell any difference. Today to my surprise it’s definitely looking as if the algae is dying! Yay!!!!! My corals are not looking the best, I️ think the amount of algae dying off may be affecting this. If my polyps don’t look any better tomorrow I️ think a water change a retreat might be in order. Anyone have any suggestions? Plus I️ think I️ can siphon some of the dying algae to help the process.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. rmiles54

You can see the zoa frags on the rack not opening. Acans all look good in comparison to the zoas. Colors are just dull! What would you guys do??? I️ believe the flucon is working.

7. DeepBlueSomething

DeepBlueSomething Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

How are your parameters holding up? Especially Nitrates and Po4? With the amount you have could see some dramatic swings. Do you have filter socks or not? Hopeful that you have great success in the next week. From what I have ready, days 8-11 can see big changes.

8. rmiles54

Sorry for the question marks. Cell was auto correcting those in place of the letter I. Struggling.. lol

9. cmcimino

cmcimino Well-Known Member

It took mine a week to start seeing some die off, but I waited a full 2 weeks to do a water change. I had a ton of algae come off during that water change. I have been doing water changes on a weekly basis now while redosing the Fluco every time. I have not see any negative effects, and the algae really seems to be receding. I have a few places where it still seems to be growing. I added my chaeto back to my sump in hopes to soak up excess nutrients. I'll post some update pictures tonight.

rmiles54 likes this.
  10. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I'd be curious to know what reading you get with a TDS meter. Specific test readings would be useful. "Within range" is ambiguous as parameters change based on what you have in the tank.

rmiles54 likes this.
  11. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Yes, in fact I think it is better to have a bare bottom on your sump. The chaeto does not need substrate. In fact, most people want it rolling in a ball shape.

rmiles54 likes this.
  12. rmiles54

On a Seachem test phosphate was between .08 & .12 best I️ could tell from the color. That is up some from last test. I️ think the algae was consuming the phosphate and giving me a bad read. Wish I had a Meter.

13. rmiles54

This is a ray of light on my situation. I picked up a couple boxes of salt this weekend anticipating more frequent water changes. From what I️ can tell, there is a few spots still that look to have a strong hold. I’ll probably pull by hand when I️ do WC. I’ve got some chaeto coming in this week. Are you running a skimmer? Did you re-dose the full amount of flucon each waterchange or only for the amount of gallons being replaced? Looking forward to seeing your pics..

14. rmiles54

Params are starting to creep. Mainly Nitrate and Po4. When I️ cleaned the sump last week I️ removed filter socks. I️ have a sponge at my first baffle that’s been trapping a bunch. This stuff would clog a 7” sock in a day. I’ve ruined all I️ had. Sponge is actually working well. I️ purchased 1 big piece and have been cutting to the sizes I️ need. All the excess is settling in the first chamber and will be an easy siphon when I️ do WC. Today is day 8 for me so super excited to see what happened the next few days. I’m filling a 35 gallon mixing can now just in case params get to far out of line and unmanageable.

15. pirate2876

pirate2876 Well-Known Member

Took me a little longer than a week to really notice a decline in the algae. It'll die off slowly, not disappear.

rmiles54 likes this.
  16. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

When I had a bad algae problem I used a small powerhead to blow it off the rocks as it died then scooped it up with a fish net. Surprisingly easy.

rmiles54 likes this.
  17. cmcimino

cmcimino Well-Known Member

I turned my skimmer off, pulled out my Seachem Purigen, and pulled my filter floss. I had chaeto running for the first two weeks but it was getting clogged with dead GHA and it all started dying off, so I removed it. Keep in mind I have a JBJ nanocube so everything is in the back, no sump. Removing dead/dying algae definitely helps with excess nutrients that will cause some cyano. I would keep chaeto running if you can since it helps combat these excess nutrients from dying algae. See updated pics below. My tank looked just as bad as yours so just keep consistent with the treatment, and you'll see some results. I'm over a month in it and my zoas are finally looking happier. Lights are on 100% for better visibility.

IMG_8732.jpg
    IMG_8733.jpg
    IMG_8734.jpg
    IMG_8738.jpg

I am seeing a bit of a cyano bloom, but hoping the chaeto will help with that. I have 5 more weeks worth of Fluco and will probably use the rest of it over 5 weeks and start running my skimmer, purigen, and floss after that.

rmiles54 and DeepBlueSomething like this.
  18. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Phosphate is a food source for algae. That's the idea behind a refugium; promote algae growth in the fuge and not in the tank. Do you run a refugium? If not, consider one. I swear by it.

rmiles54 likes this.
  19. DeepBlueSomething

DeepBlueSomething Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

@cmcimino
    Thanks for sharing your progress - so much hope to share!

rmiles54 and cmcimino like this.
  20. rmiles54

Awesome! Thanks for all the help and advice. Your tank and corals look great. When you say 5 weeks worth, are you dosing weekly? I️ guess it’s only a capsule or 2? I’m trying to figure out how much I️ should dose when I️ start water changes? Full dose or dose for the amount of gallons I’m changing? I’m adding the chaeto to try and get ahead of the cyano.

Draft saved Draft deleted