Big tank & Cool fish .VS. Small tank & Cool coral?

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3AE1712E-A6F8-430F-AED0-6A2FB7840306.jpeg

I vote ‘Big Cool Pet Fish.’ Have great filtration. :)
Stunning fish! Now that’s what I’m talking about!!

Why not have big tank with cool fish AND cool corals? Everyone knows 10ft tanks are the best ;)
Seriously though, the longer the better when it comes to tangs.
Here's my work in progress 500 gal

20210618_133611.jpg
This tank is INSANE. Why not have a hold thread? Tons of people would love to follow your progress! Truly incredible.

If you go fowlr you’d be able to save lots of money on lighting. Honestly unless you find a good deal on used you’ll probably looking at 5k+ for everything. Plus the monthly cost of running a tank this size.

My dream tank is 8’x3’x30” but might be convinced to go 10’ if the room allows but 8’ is the bare minimum for me. Wife is on board to so one day it will happen. Mixed reef with big tangs and maybe some butterflies. But I’m in love with corals and the wife loves the fish so it will be a little bit of both.
Well… I think a 6ft would be a good size for me, especially considering the biggest tank I’ve ever managed is a 29g tank.

I also think it would be fair to try to keep the tank to a United size, because it is after all, my parents house.

—-

Would a 6ft be able to comfortably house tangs/angles?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also love this, but I would stick with cool fish when I’m getting the tank going. A few years later, then I might look into getting some big colonies. :D
I had two small 25-gallon tanks that I combined into a much larger 200-gallon, so I brought all the fish and corals, then added more fish and corals. I’m maybe 75% of where I want to be with fish and probably 25% with corals.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two small 25-gallon tanks that I combined into a much larger 200-gallon, so I brought all the fish and corals, then added more fish and corals. I’m maybe 75% of where I want to be with fish and probably 25% with corals.
I might move all the corals from my 29g over to the new tank and use it for a QT tank or something. But that depends on what fish I get. (I know some angles eat softies and LPS?)

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Big tanks mean you have to have foundation to support them. or make it that way.

For smaller tangs and angels 5 ft works. For dwarf angelfish, 4 ft works.
But, for larger fish that get over 12 inches I would not recommend less than 8ft long by 2 and a half ft wide.

So, tank size would be around 60x18 wide, height usually ranges in at 24 inches by default. A lot of tanks however are made at 4'x2'x2' the 120g setups. Which I guess works for tangs as well.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might move all the corals from my 29g over to the new tank and use it for a QT tank or something. But that depends on what fish I get. (I know some angles eat softies and LPS?)
I have 2 dwarf angels and I wouldn’t recommend more than a pair as even in a 6-foot tank they still manage to have territorial issues. My emperor angel got along fine with both until he sadly passed on.

My coral beauty is a very peaceful and leaves everything alone, unlike my midnight that recently dined out on $250 worth of brand new acros (he generally leaves everything else alone, though). If he wasn’t one of my favorite fish...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back