BIG TANKS versus smaller tanks...Which do you prefer and why?

BIG TANKS versus smaller tanks...Which do you prefer?

• BIGGER

Votes: 780 75.1%
  • smaller

Votes: 205 19.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 53 5.1%

• Total voters

Mr Mumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 46g bow front now and want a 180g peninsula. My reason for wanting bigger is my love for the tang, and stability. I’m thinking of water changes already though and it’s making me hesitate a weebit! Lol

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40b and it’s a perfect size for my apartment life , when I get a house I’m thinking a long 200gallon would be a dream tank , bigger is better because I want eels

Ti64reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on your situation. I have a 400 gallon and its my first tank. I see both sides where it my be more work but it's harder to screw it up once you get it going. Think of it like a slow moving freight train vs the subway. The subway gets going faster but it's real hard to stop a freight train. There is definitely more cost involved but I guarantee my cost per gallon is way lower. Overall it depends on your situation. If you can go bigger then go for it. If you can't then enjoy what you have.

dsloan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started out with 110 tall, went to a 125 long and I like to go to 300-350 but $$$$$ to afford a good quality glass is going to cost. By what you can afford with the best star fire glass....

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both small and large tanks have their advantages. However, if cost, space, etc. is not an issue I want as big of a tank as possible. The increased options for fish as well as the space to increase the total number of fish/corals/inverts is important to me!

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150 gallon and a 180 gallon plumbed together to a 125 gallon sump on the basement. I'm almost to the point of calling them fish tanks. I have an awesome to me collection of fish all who greet me at feeding time and they watch and beg when I'm feeding the other tank. I also have a 75 gallon in my daughter's room that houses a picaso trigger and a fox face so another fish tank. My reefer 170 in our bedroom is closer to a reef tank with just a few small fish but a growing collection of LPS. I like it the best because of the coral. It's more challenging keeping coral than fish which is also more rewarding. If I could only keep one it would be the reef tank. Stability has not really been a problem. I have an ato and manually does 2 part daily and change 4 gallons of water weekly and that's about it. No skimmer either.

Buckster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoy a larger tank the most and don't mind the maintenance. 13 months ago I started a 32 Biocube. 12 months ago got the 180 running. Shortly after I used a 10 gal for treating cupramine but the hippo freaked out and now I use a 30. Somehow the 30 now can't be used for treating.

C94EF06A-EF97-4951-B45E-1E988FADBDAE.jpeg
4DD877D2-73D1-4827-9E14-26EA7F9AF124.jpeg
9D6C8CEE-440F-45F6-894C-16AD94FF1E6A.jpeg

Justinm860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smaller, one leak can set you back tens of thousands of dollars. It’s one of my biggest fears

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a 58 Gallon for my first Saltwater. Then after a year upgraded to a 225 gal and now after about 12 years I am upgrading to 1100 gallons so YES Bigger is Better. But it sure is more expensive
IMG_3851.JPG

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I flat out will not own a reef over 3’. Sold my custom miracles 6’ and 4’ - just don’t like the size. More to do with my anxiety I suppose but I do think it’s funny being good Americans that bigger is better and a larger tank is always an ‘upgrade’ despite most tanks over 200g end up looking terrible due to the work and cost (not all of course) while they probably would have had a beautiful 75g.

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the 200 gallon range is considered big in my my eyes. I started with 20s and 30 gallon tanks in the 1980s, today I have a 180 gallon and love it. If I could I would own something in the 260-300 gallon range but right now not in the cards. My concern with anything much bigger than that is the cost of running the tank (I can buy the Ferrari but can I afford the tires, maintenance and insurance kind of thing). Additionally bigger tanks mean bigger gear which you normally can't find locally, that is also a concern of mine.

However if money was no object a 5000 gallon tank I could scuba in would be amazing.

TateLitts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming from planted tanks, I love packing plants/corals densely together - which is lighter on my pocket in a nano.

Tyler Flynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel the foot print of the tank could be more beneficial than sheer amount of gallons. I find tanks get too tall as you go up in size.
I have also contemplated a partitioned tank similar to what you see at stores. That way i could have the benefits of a larger water volume, but have seperate habitats for all smaller creatures i like. Nano viewing benefits.

MasterChief

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever dreamed of getting a bigger reef tank? Doesn't everyone want a bigger tank? I personally always did but after having a "bigger" tank I'm dreaming of smaller! HA! How about you? Let's talk about it!

1. How many gallons do you consider a "BIG" tank?

2. BIG TANKS versus smaller tanks...Which do you prefer and why?

YES this is going to be a 4200g reef aquarium! image via @dca22anderson
051252B8-DDE5-441D-B44C-ED9AA21E3992.jpg
That is seriously bad butt

ultraArcite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever dreamed of getting a bigger reef tank? Doesn't everyone want a bigger tank? I personally always did but after having a "bigger" tank I'm dreaming of smaller! HA! How about you? Let's talk about it!

1. How many gallons do you consider a "BIG" tank?

2. BIG TANKS versus smaller tanks...Which do you prefer and why?

YES this is going to be a 4200g reef aquarium! image via @dca22anderson
051252B8-DDE5-441D-B44C-ED9AA21E3992.jpg
I think anything over 100 gallons is large! I prefer larger tanks because they increase the variety and quantity of fish you can keep

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my I look at over all cost to do wc and the water I need to hold on hand . I wish I could go bigger but don’t want the cost of upkeep to be really high so I went with a custom 90 with 40g breeder sump . I couldn’t imagine the guys with big tanks the upkeep cost is. Also the one thing I don’t like about small tanks is fish selection

FreshwaterConvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have the room or $$$ for a large tank.
This. I’m in college, and I moved 5 times in one year (before I got into salt, only had freshwater at the time). Now I have a 13 gallon. My biggest tank to date is a 20 gallon freshwater. I consider 75 gallons and up to be “big” for me, at least for freshwater. Saltwater might be more like 120. I like smaller because they’re more budget friendly, and it’s a lot easier to find room for a smaller tank in any home, whether it’s a house, apartment, or dorm. Getting the equipment is also much cheaper. When I was planning my tank, I priced out a 40 breeder and a 13 gallon for a mantis shrimp (different species were being considered) and while the 13 gallon (which is what I went with) was only gonna be ~500 the 40 breeder was gonna be much closer to 1000, which during a pandemic and as a college student is not reasonable or doable. I do think that bigger tanks are easier as far as stability goes, but for many it’s just not reasonable. I live on an upper floor, so 40 gallons would be really concerning weight wise. I do think that big reefs are stunning and are amazing, but I love my smaller tank and I think it’s a lot more reasonable for a majority of people.

FreshwaterConvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say the shape of the tank is more important than the overall size. I have a regular 60 gallon and the front view is nice but when I see how narrow it is from the side I feel bad for the fish. But a 60 gallon cube looks like it would be much more comfortable for them.

Having said that, I'll be stepping up to a 7 foot 200 gallon and a 95 gallon wave front and I'm super excited about it.
Very much agreed. I hate 55 gallons for this exact reason, it just seems so skinny. And the 75 is the exact same size. I think cube shapes and the more depth in general also makes for more interesting aqua scapes and can make tanks feel more realistic.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back