BIG TANKS versus smaller tanks...Which do you prefer and why?

BIG TANKS versus smaller tanks...Which do you prefer?

• BIGGER

Votes: 780 75.1%
  • smaller

Votes: 205 19.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 53 5.1%

• Total voters

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted bigger but honestly I wouldn’t want anything bigger then 500 gallons. My dream size tank would be 250-350.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. How many gallons do you consider a "BIG" tank?
200 gallons

2. BIG TANKS versus smaller tanks...Which do you prefer and why?
Unless one has unlimited funds - which some do, large tanks are just not worth it (to me). 1. Lots of work (cost of time), 2. Cost of salt, 3) Cost of inhabitants, 4. Cost of equipment, 5. Cost of 'the system', 6. Cost of electricity (which going forward is going to limit a lot of things - as well as the cost of water).

And - again IMHO - for what gain lets say you have a 6 foot long x 3 foot high - if the tank is 2, 3, or 4 feet deep (which markedly changes the gallons) - to me you gain very little viewing and a ton more work and expense.

Then take into account the price of perhaps shoring up flooring, remodeling, etc - AND the decrease in re-sale value (potential) of your home. Its kind of like having an extremely expensive swimming pool. Its fun to swim in - but not to pay for.

No critique - or criticism - to each his own. I have had both - would never do the huge tank again for many reasons.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Smaller. Ice had big. 125 and 220, and a 90. I have a 72 now, and it brings me the most joy. It does not cost me a ton to run, and plenty of room for fish and coral for my liking.... dosing isn't super expensive, and water changes are not taxing...works for me I guess...
PXL_20210414_185411354.jpg
nice look

Jon F

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely big for me. Well, when browsing the forums anyway. I rent and cannot have my dream tank, just my nano piece of the sea.

Anything bigger than my previous 55g is big to me.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m blessed to not have financial constraints that would prevent me from having a very large aquarium, but that doesn’t mean I want one.

I like fairly large but not gigantic (~2000 liters, but not really larger than that) and also fairly small (200 liters or less). I like large systems for large puffers and smaller systems (1000 liters or less) for anything else.

For me, the size also depends on the shape, which depends on the home. I do not have homes designed around my aquariums, but instead, my aquariums designed around my homes. :)

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my trip to insanity with a 29 BioCube that I loved. Then I lost my mind (perhaps licking toads is a bad idea) and followed some bad advise (for me) and bought the "BIGGEST TANK YOU CAN AFFORD". I have a lovely 350 gallon tank taking up a huge amount of space in my living room. I've been fighting this thing since day one. I've changed so much, so many times and I can never get it dialed in. I've killed more frags than most people would ever buy. Different lights, re designs on the sump, skimmers, reactors, on and on. Watched every video on YouTube. I still go from cayano bacteria that covers everything to rock covered in algae and back again. I've given up on ever having a nice reef tank. I'm sticking to fish only and live rock. Though I do have a very large bubble tip that seems happy, and a Bubble coral that's easily the size of 2 grapefruits side by side. I have cleaner shrimp, hermits, snails (sometime a few some time hundreds) urchins, a brittle star That all do fine but always cayano or algae. All told I'm in 30k and wish I'd never gone this big. Perhaps I should give up and raise the for mentioned Psychedelic toads. (for medicinal use only not for resale) If you want big do a 180. Much easier to maintain or remove later.
Big tanks need a big budget. I have a 1000 liter that I’m probably 3M JPY/$30k USD into, and it’s not done yet. For a tank your size, or really anything over 1000 liters, you’re looking at ~1M JPY/~$10k USD just for live rock (which would help solve your algae problems, btw!). Larger tanks basically require a “I don’t care or need to worry about the cost” budget for them to look good. In my humble opinion

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the FUll look of a larger tank.. I consider a larger tank longer than 4 fgt. long and at least 24 x 24 end dimensions. SO Bigger is OVER 120 gallons. There is a tank at our NewWave Aquaria LFS that is 180 gallons but is only 4 ft long. (48x 36 x 24). I dont consider this a big tank in spite of the gallonage. But is the tank I want as it still has that majestic look to it. it looks like it could be a piece of a real reef. I have a 75 that no matter what I do with it, never looks like anything more than a holder for corals and is inadequate for the kinds of fish I would associate with a reef (Tangs to be exact) The fish I would consider synonymous with a reef are Tangs and Anthias. Both, I feel, need that 6 foot run.. at a minimum.. so a big tank then.. 6 ft. + and at leaqst one other dimension exceeding 24 x 24 end.Prefer depth... Basically a 6 ft 220 gallon.. Did I just over explain this???

Last edited:

Mistahbrock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the any tank should fit in that particular location where its located.

From the inhabitants view, bigger is better, coming form the freshwater world I see a lot of misconceptions that eg. Betta fish will manage fine I small jars, bowls etc. which is outright stupid, as these species comes from areas with huge water circulation in the form of rain and irrigation.

kutcha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly i say both cause i have large and small tanks all depends on what your trying to build if your wanting a predator tank you want a large tank if you want a seahorse tank you want a smaller tank

RoweReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the FUll look of a larger tank.. I consider a larger tank longer than 4 fgt. long and at least 24 x 24 end dimensions. SO Bigger is OVER 120 gallons. There is a tank at our NewWave Aquaria LFS that is 180 gallons but is only 4 ft long. (48x 36 x 24). I dont consider this a big tank in spite of the gallonage. But is the tank I want as it still has that majestic look to it. it looks like it could be a piece of a real reef. I have a 75 that no matter what I do with it, never looks like anything more than a holder for corals and is inadequate for the kinds of fish I would associate with a reef (Tangs to be exact) The fish I would consider synonymous with a reef are Tangs and Anthias. Both, I feel, need that 6 foot run.. at a minimum.. so a big tank then.. 6 ft. + and at leaqst one other dimension exceeding 24 x 24 end.Prefer depth... Basically a 6 ft 220 gallon.. Did I just over explain this???
This! I also have a 72 gallon display and agree whole heartily with having a tank with the dimensions necessary to house reef fish.

DiamondHands

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big tanks need a big budget. I have a 1000 liter that I’m probably 3M JPY/$30k USD into, and it’s not done yet. For a tank your size, or really anything over 1000 liters, you’re looking at ~1M JPY/~$10k USD just for live rock (which would help solve your algae problems, btw!). Larger tanks basically require a “I don’t care or need to worry about the cost” budget for them to look good. In my humble opinion
I just found a beautiful 440 liter (115 Gallon) tank, stand and sump full of live rock for 1500 USD from someone exiting the hobby. Depending on your location, your skill sets, ability to make opportunistic purchases, flexibility, and experience, initial costs can be lower.

My old 180 gallon tank and custom 42-inch tall powder coated custom steel stand cost me 300 USD - total! (Used tank, and sometimes it’s good to have a friend who builds oil field equipment).

Other notes:

flow:In all honesty, AC mag drives and koralias are more than capable of producing stunning results.

lights: so many people exit this hobby - used gear is abundant. I clean up what I find (inside and out).

salt: Instant ocean reef crystals work - been using it a decade

There is a trade off between good and great. Like, I am totally stuck in the Tunze Osmolator. I got past my initial failures and learned to make sure I pay attention to what they tell me and keep one spare pump around. So, all my tanks have one.

I could get used lights for my new system, but I had a desired outcome that steered me towards a specific fixture that where I dropped a larger sum than I normally might. Some people use less expensive options.

I am a fan of the Apex Fusion SaaS solution, so I run one. You don’t have to.

I think generally, yes, a larger tank requires a larger budget. However a smaller budget, even in smaller systems requires more effort, sometimes creativity, and more trust in less mainstream components. Small doesn’t mean inexpensive.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank size has more factors... placement is also key

I have 180g but I'd be happier with cleaning it if I could get to all four sides and not just front and sides. Never felt that way with any of my smaller past tanks. This 180g currently my only tank (5g QT doesn't count... usually QT isn't even setup)

s_spowart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever dreamed of getting a bigger reef tank? Doesn't everyone want a bigger tank? I personally always did but after having a "bigger" tank I'm dreaming of smaller! HA! How about you? Let's talk about it!

1. How many gallons do you consider a "BIG" tank?

2. BIG TANKS versus smaller tanks...Which do you prefer and why?

YES this is going to be a 4200g reef aquarium! image via @dca22anderson
051252B8-DDE5-441D-B44C-ED9AA21E3992.jpg
Big tanks are easier to maintain stable water chemistry, and can house much more.

The downside is they cost more to run as well. 10% water change in a big tank means more salt than a small one, not to mention the lighting costs. I pay more in electricity to run my aquarium than I do with the rest of the house, or at least it seems that way. Having those lights burning 4-500 Watts for12 hours a day adds up.

botheboss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a couple of 40g breeders, I feel like that is the perfect starter tank. But you got to go bigger, also had a 20g long, 55g, 75g, 180g, and now I have a 310g and a 32 cube in my bedroom. The 310 is quickly becoming my favorite of all time.

sksouthpaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose other. Tank size is subjective. For example, given my available space in my house/living room, my 45 gal to me is “large” compared to the 30 gal I had in my old apartment. However many would consider a 45g to be a small tank.
I personally like a smaller tank. Sure it is more prone to nutrient spikes, and they can head downhill faster than a “large” tank, but I also find that they are easier for maintenance, so if you need to do that emergency water change, its more manageable for the average enthusiast. At the end of the day, I don't think it matters small vs large, its all about how much effort/maintenance you are willing to put in. To each their own.
Just my thoughts

Anthony Gatch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm fine with my 120 gallon tank. My wife already thinks I spend to much time with it. The tank backs up to wall next to my garage. There are auto water changing containers in the garage. Also the RO/DI is out there with two more containers. One to collect RO/DI water and the other to make saltwater in. My point is this tank takes a more space than just the box of water and it stand.

paul barker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had big tank and small tanks the new tank is 180 peninsula I wanted a 220 but for custom built tanks I would cost me 1500 more the build I tank longer then I thought but it will have auto water change that I made myself that can change 55 gallon in 5 minutes if it all works out I post pictures

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back