BIG THREE: What Test Kits are you using for ALK, CAL, MAG in 2021?

Do you choose a test kit brand and stick with it or are you willing to change?

• Stick with it

Votes: 139 31.8%
  • Willing to change

Votes: 286 65.4%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 12 2.7%

• Total voters

dsh92056

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made the switch to Neptune Trident about a month ago. Hands down my favorite piece of equipment. I’ve tried many different test kits API, Red Sea, Hanna, Salifert. After testing by hand thousands of times over the past six years the trident is a game changer in my opinion.

Reefr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert for the big 3 : best quality & ease of use vs price. If you know how to test and you constantly test in the same way, there is no reason to buy more expensive tests. I can imagine Hanna are useful for those who are color blind. Nitrates also with Salifert and phosphates with Redsea

Last edited:

RalphTech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With just a 13.5G EVO I only test Alk, Cal and pH with my Hanna's, not mag.
35 Na with other brand refract.
Digital is much preferred over timed color changes.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. What brand test kits are you using for:
Alkalinity (Hanna and Red Sea),
Calcium (Red Sea) and
Magnesium (Red Sea) in 2021?

2. Why are you using the test kits that you are using?

I really like the Red Sea Pro kits and the titration method...especially for the Calcium as they are easy to perform and identify the color change. Also, I use Red Sea for Phosphorous (and other).

In addition, I use Hanna for Alk, ULR Phosphorous and pH. They are also easy to perform and I like using two brands to cross reference.

brian.badge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna (Alk) Salifert (CA and MG). I would be willing to change, but right now adding a trident is too much money.

Bruce60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna for Calcium and Alkalinity. Salifert for Magnesium. Used Salifert before Hanna so I stayed with Salifert Magnesium when changed to Hanna. They're all easy to use, accurate, and the corals are doing it beautifully.
Hi! I love my Hanna for Alk, but have stuck with Salifert for Ca so far because it is easy and reproducible. The Hanna Ca seems a bit more complex without providing the same consistency according to reviews. Can you comment on your transition from Salifert to Hanna for Ca and any tips you might have for others? Thanks!

PAreefer710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t tested parameters In months, seriously. And don’t plan it, tank hasn’t looked better.
BE946C05-E316-4E00-BEF9-26B99FB03038.jpeg
2FF3D4F7-156C-4288-86F7-DA92980BC6CE.jpeg
463EAFC0-7093-493C-A7BE-17063F964A7E.jpeg

Alan_J_MN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea for the top 3. Switched from Salifert a couple of years ago. I just seems easier to use and easier to read. The consistency also seems good. When I purchase a new kit, I always test the new against the old, and they seem to be pretty much spot on.
Definitely agree the Red Sea kits are easier to read than Salifert. I'm surprised so many use the Salifert CA test. I find the color change is too gradual to get an accurate reading.

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea Foundation Pro for Ca, Alk and Mg. I switched to this after some wild test-strip results indicated i needed something more accurate and repeatable. I will probably continue using it unless something even better comes along.

Salty_Steve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a little of everything
ALK HANNA
CAL API
MAG ELOS
NO3 REDSEA
P04 HANNA

saturn13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Mastertronic sure looks nice, love to see what people think and of it. Id like to automate testing if I can

I use mostly hanna alk,ca and salifert mag.

Bob Lauson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using Salifert for Ca, Mg, and Alk. I watched a BRS video comparing test kits and Aquaforest seemed to come out on top. I tried it and got exactly the same results as Salifert. In fact the tests were performed in pretty much the exact same way.

BobT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Hanna for Alk & Cal & Red Sea for Mag. Have used them for years and like the consistency.

I test Alk weekly, Cal every 2 weeks & Mag monthly. My 2 tanks are literally on cruise control & this keeps them in check.
Couldn’t agree more. I’m on the same program!

BigSkyRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing hobbyists tend to go back and forth on are test kits and that's due to various reasons. I would like to hear what everyone is using for the big three (alk, cal, mag) in 2021! Which do you trust the most and why? Let's talk about it!

1. What brand test kits are you using for Alkalinity, Calcium and Magnesium in 2021?

2. Why are you using the test kits that you are using?

test.jpg
Hannah for ALK and CA and Red Sea for Mg - I like ease and (assumed accuracy) of Hannah - will stick with those. My Mg readings are always high (1600+) and I haven't determined if its user or test kit error yet

JimFuller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using Trident cross checked with Hanna testers. I send in ICP once once year. If something could prove out better and as easy, I would be willing to look at it. My present system keeps the tank stable and within good ranges.

Back