BIG THREE: What Test Kits are you using for ALK, CAL, MAG in 2021?

Do you choose a test kit brand and stick with it or are you willing to change?

• Stick with it

Votes: 139 31.8%
  • Willing to change

Votes: 286 65.4%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 12 2.7%

• Total voters

tigre44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for this trio of test.
Another v
One thing hobbyists tend to go back and forth on are test kits and that's due to various reasons. I would like to hear what everyone is using for the big three (alk, cal, mag) in 2021! Which do you trust the most and why? Let's talk about it!

1. What brand test kits are you using for Alkalinity, Calcium and Magnesium in 2021?

2. Why are you using the test kits that you are using?

test.jpg
Alk—Hanna
Ca—Salifert
Mag—Aquaforest

Jax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna ALK,
Hanna PO,
Hanna Sal,
RedSea CA,
Salifert MG,
Nyos N

Raven09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing hobbyists tend to go back and forth on are test kits and that's due to various reasons. I would like to hear what everyone is using for the big three (alk, cal, mag) in 2021! Which do you trust the most and why? Let's talk about it!

1. What brand test kits are you using for Alkalinity, Calcium and Magnesium in 2021?

test.jpg
Hanna for all except for Red Sea for magnesium.

yourmom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a new reefer. Started with FOWLR, only testing for Nitrate and Ammonia using Salifert. When I started my reef tank (upgrade, started fresh) I bought a big API pack and started using that plus my Salifert Ammonia and Nitrate. Got more interested in Calcium and Magnesium so I added Salifert tests for those as well and just upgraded my nitrate to Hanna so I can see low level digital readings. I recently ordered a Hanna Alkalinity kit and will eventually move to Hanna for others. I love the digital readings.

N1Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Sailfert for Magnesium and the thing I like is it will test your calcium in the process. For alkalinity I use API, it gets close enough. For salinity I have a Milwaukee that I really like.

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Alk - Hanna
Ca- Salifert
Mg- Salifert

I use them because of there accuracy and consistency

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Trident. I am loving it, even though it had a rocky start. Once it was all se up, the mechanical/programming issues were addressed by Neptune support (much of which was user error in the set up) it was and is spot on. I do check it from time to time vs my Hanna cheker for Alk and I still do monthly ICP testing (because I want to and it makes me feel safer to do so)

I am using the Trident because I like how it integrates with my Apex, how easy it is to use and because I can keep a consistent “finger on the pulse” of my aquarium.

I have heard rumblings of a second “trident” from Neptune in the works. If they make one I will buy it ASAP. I am hoping for Nitrate, phosphate and either iodine or potassium (preferably iodine...I think)

I also need to give a “shout out to the Hanna Checkers. I love my Alk tester and I won’t ever get rid of it so I can periodically test it against my Trident. Redundancy is key in this hobby!!

Whatever test kits you use don’t chase numbers and ENJOY the hobby!

BlackGoldReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

test.jpg
I’m a on the poor boy side of the hobby and have been using Salifert for over a year. Pretty solid results for me. I have also dabbled in the Red Sea kits with great results. I think API does a good gob as well I just tend to break the little tubes often

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big 3
ALK - Hanna
CA - Red Sea
MG - Red Sea

others
Nitrate - Red Sea Pro, Fluval and API as back-up/cross-checks.
Phosphate - Hanna ULR 774

Preyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Salifert across the board, but I invested in a magnetic stirrer and it changed my life.

Back