Big White Bulge Coming Out Of Clownfishes Side

Ezra Blue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am new to reefing, and just started my tank in September 2020. I got my first two fish a couple days after the tank was running. They are a Black Ice clownfish pair. They both are really active until about a week ago (month two of them being in the tank) the female started eating less. She does eat but looks like she has a hard time doing it. I then noticed white stringy poop coming out of her? A few days later she won’t leave one side of the tank and there is a red mark on her face with white bumps? This is when I got worried. A day later a big bulge was on her side. I suspected she hit a rock or something but realized it was kind of unluckily. A week later (today) the red mark is completely white, and the bulge got pointy and dark and when I went to look at it again today it looks like a big hole with something inside of it? It looks like the inside of a tan tan when Han Solo cut it open in Star Wars.

Does anyone know what it is and how to treat it? Thank you! Picture below.

2DF767FA-C100-48DF-8E22-E3D99CD3B1B1.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Sorry, I missed your post last night. That is a very serious lesion due to its location above the body cavity. I don’t think it is from an injury- see how the edges turn outward? That implies an internal infection that reached the skin and broke through. The lesion on the face also looks like a bacterial infection, but more external. To be honest, the prognosis is grave. Do you have a treatment tank you can move it to to treat with antibiotics?
The only marginally good news is that this isn’t likely to be contagious to the other clown.

Jay

OP
OP
E

Ezra Blue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have a quarantine tank I was going to get medicine for her today. Do you think she will be alright if I medicate her as soon as possible? Also is the white stringy poop a sign of parasite, I just herd other people talking about that being a sign? Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stringy feces can be from a variety of issues: constipation (low fiber), bacteria, protozoans and metazoan parasites.
You should dose the fish with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic ASAP, but as I said, this is very serious, and the outcome is doubtful. If you can get Kanaplex, try that. You might find Maracyn 2 easier to come by though.
Good luck, fingers crossed!
Jay

OP
OP
E

Ezra Blue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stringy feces can be from a variety of issues: constipation (low fiber), bacteria, protozoans and metazoan parasites.
You should dose the fish with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic ASAP, but as I said, this is very serious, and the outcome is doubtful. If you can get Kanaplex, try that. You might find Maracyn 2 easier to come by though.
Good luck, fingers crossed!
Jay
Ok I’ll try and find those, thank you!

OP
OP
E

Ezra Blue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish has been in the quarantine tank for about five days now, and I have been dosing the water every day with API Melafix, the good news is she is swimming fine and the opening on her side is now a small spot and the thing on her face has healed! The bad news is she won’t eat today or yesterday and she sits at the bottom of the tank and breathes heavily? She isn’t dieing because every time I tap the glass she swims around and returns to the same spot. Does anyone know what this is, or if she is about to lay eggs? Thanks!

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may be able to stimulate appetite with garlic and favorite live food. Don't think it is laying eggs in this condition. Are you getting a good supply of oxygen in the water?

OP
OP
E

Ezra Blue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a good amount of oxygen being pumped in the tank, I will try the garlic for the food. Do you think it would be safe to put it back in the tank or should I keep medicating? Thank you for answering!

OP
OP
E

Ezra Blue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, I wish, but she keeps going back to that one spot? She lays upright to, not on her side which is weird. I’m just hoping she’ll get better.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back