OP
Billldg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing is done with the exception of installing tubing between the return pumps and return lines. Everything is tight and the overflow is done. Just waiting on my second batch of 100 gals to mix.

7F39A5B4-3276-43FF-A088-7003B7610ADF.jpeg
47D56E19-5CD0-42D8-95B6-0E18E7B83560.jpeg

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I filled it all the way up...AND...then I had to remove roughly 40 gals to get it below the bulkhead for the overflow box. I had 2 leaks, that I know of so far. One was on the full siphon drain line union. I was able to fix it, I think, we will see. The 2nd was harder and thus having to drop the water back down. I drain a lot of water into the sump to keep from wasting it, and the rest I dumped into a brute trash can. I had replaced the one of the bulkheads, because, when I cut it down I chipped it. The new bulkhead never really sit well with me when I installed it. It was the one that leaked. I removed it and installed the other bulkhead. I raised the water level back to the bottom section of the bulkhead, and I will let it sit a while to see if it leaks. Then I will raise it further. I knew it wouldn't so easy, LOL!!!

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No leaks, SO FAR, on the bulkhead. So I added another 10 gals to raise it a little more. I also put back the weir so I could raise the level a little more. I am also making my 3rd batch of 100 gals of saltwater. Its almost comical, until you just see money in the form of salt just flying away, how much salt you use when mixing 100 gal batches. I usually start out with at least 35 cups, and take it from there. ;Hilarious :eek: ;Hilarious

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where I am at right now. I am waiting on another batch of saltwater to mix. The sump is full, due to me having to lower the water level and hopefully fix the leak. I just need another 30-40 gals.

5BCB4BB3-53B1-47D1-B10E-0DA44258D7C5.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
liking the scape.. :cool:

Thank you.

I still need to add a few overhangs on the tunnels, but that is for the most part what it will look like. I like it. It looks a little empty at first, but in a year or so, the SPS will love it. ;) :cool:

AGAIN, knowing myself, I couldn't stand still. I was not going to try to get the return pumps ready to roll as I am more concerned with any water leaks. I still ended up attaching the return pumps, with soft tubing, to the return lines. I still will not run them, probably :rolleyes: , as I want the tank to sit a while to check for leaks, but honestly, have I kept to the things that I said I would, AND, would not do.;Hilarious

I still plan on just letting the tank sit, to check for any leaks on the sections that have water in them, BUT, WHO KNOWS!!!;Facepalm;Happy:p

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SERIOUSLY, WHO AM I KIDDING!!! ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious

I can't stand still. I ended up adding the flow sensors to the Apex FMM module and added my first COR 20. I could only run it for a few minutes, not enough water in the tank yet, but I am close to filling it all the way up and running at least one return pump. I will, in all likelihood, add the 2nd COR 20. I need to have flow in the tank to heat it properly.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
you didn't.. :oops: :p;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious
this old salt needs a coma nap...;Dead
but kinda expect to wake in a few to fish swimming ...;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious
you go Bill ...;Woot;Woot..;Happy

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well boys and girls, guess what...HMMM!!!

The blue circle is a flow meter reading.

I will have to adjust the water level overall, but I will need to run the 2nd return pump before I do that.

Screenshot (48)_LI.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see that adjusting the overflow is going to a major pain. I still need to do a factory reset on the Cor 20 I have running as I can only get 600 gph out of it. I think it’s the IQ adjustment causing the issue, thus the factory reset. I installed the 2nd Cor 20 and at 50 percent I had 500 gph. Problem is that is dumped out the sump in 2.5 seconds. That’s were I feel it’s going to be a pain. The overflow is very noisy right now, but that’s because I still need to add a little water to it to raise the water level overall. Only running 1 pump at 600 gph, I don’t have enough flow yet to do so and not overfill my sump. I mainly wanted to get water flowing to check for leaks and to allow the heaters to get the temp up in the tank and not cause the bacteria of the live rock to go dormant.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to get the overflow to quite down, so that is a plus. I found another small leak on the bottom union of my return flow meter. I tightened it, hopefully that it stop it. I will try to get the 2nd Cor 20 up and running tomorrow, which means I will pretty much have to start over on quieting down the overflow, UGH!!! I will also see about installing my ATO, which really shouldn’t be hard at all. Having the return pumps running will mean evaporation, thus the need for the ATO.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see that adjusting the overflow is going to a major pain. I still need to do a factory reset on the Cor 20 I have running as I can only get 600 gph out of it. I think it’s the IQ adjustment causing the issue, thus the factory reset. I installed the 2nd Cor 20 and at 50 percent I had 500 gph. Problem is that is dumped out the sump in 2.5 seconds. That’s were I feel it’s going to be a pain. The overflow is very noisy right now, but that’s because I still need to add a little water to it to raise the water level overall. Only running 1 pump at 600 gph, I don’t have enough flow yet to do so and not overfill my sump. I mainly wanted to get water flowing to check for leaks and to allow the heaters to get the temp up in the tank and not cause the bacteria of the live rock to go dormant.
Feels good to get your controller connected I bet!! :D

I am setting up two return pumps for my SCA150 build!! I will be running a COR20 on 1 return AND A EcoTech M2 on my other return in my Synergy CL-44!!

Would you be so kind and share a few pics of your 2 COR 20's installed and running in your sump for the 2 returns?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feels good to get your controller connected I bet!! :D

I am setting up two return pumps for my SCA150 build!! I will be running a COR20 on 1 return AND A EcoTech M2 on my other return in my Synergy CL-44!!

Would you be so kind and share a few pics of your 2 COR 20's installed and running in your sump for the 2 returns?
I took the partition out so I could install 2 Cor 20’s. Photos aren’t great, and ignore the wiring, LOL, just trying to get water flowing before I worry about neatness.

34145EA6-FBDE-410F-AF2D-051632804CB3.jpeg
6D9B3AFD-7DA6-481C-8B9F-7BE829CEB010.jpeg
876257F0-C6F1-4305-B63B-56D4595924A3.jpeg
7791E477-9FDF-4625-B37E-F61A1B9FC694.jpeg

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K, I HOPEFULLY fixed the leak and started up the 1st COR 20. Wouldn't you know it, the full siphon union leaked, LOL!!! I tightened it up and have the COR 20 running again. Hopefully the return and right return section is water tight and I can move on to the left side. I will not even attempt it today, EVEN AS STUBBORN AS I AM, because it will mean I will have to balance out the adjust the overflow rate all over again along with the flow rates of each pump. I need to do about 1100 gph to get a 5x turnover, which is the max I want. The problem is that I will also be running the carbon reactor and algae scrubber off on the left side and will have to factor them in.

If I can make sure I have no leaks on what is running so far, them I will add the live rock to the tank and sump. I already have roughly 50-60 pounds of the rock, part of the aquascape that I soaked in the brute cans with actual live rock, in the tank, AND I found my first tank occupant. Its a brittle star that was on the live rock and moved to the rock I soaked. So OFFICIALLY, it columnized the tank, LOL!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my temp probe, Salinity probe, and PH probe hooked up to my Apex. I will need to calibrate them eventually, but it is good to see some values showing up. Still waiting to see if any leaks show up on the right side return, but none yet. Still waiting on the overflow box, as I felt some dampness behind the tank, UGH. It could just be residual water from yesterday when I found the leak, but still, UGH!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a pic of my first occupant of the tank, WELL, sort of, LOL!!! Brittle stars are a bit shy.

43199BDF-408A-41E5-9B22-26EAA9679E63.jpeg

I love Brittle star fish, BUT, unfortunately they usually die due to starvation. If you have Nassarius snails, they are far better scavengers, and the Brittle star fish usually starve as a result. That does not mean I am not pulling for the Brittle star fish, AS I AM, BUT, lets be honest as they do not venture out to scavenge very often.

I also added 2 smaller pieces of actual live rock to the tank as I have not seen any more leaks...YET!!! :rolleyes: I will add a third to the actual tank, probably from my 40b as the others I have in my brute trash can are to big. I will put the ones in the brute trash can in the sump. I will take a pic later on and post as it is to bright right now and wouldn't show the tank properly.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back