LVReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good Bill!
Just wanted to thank you for the meticulous job you're doing documenting your build; Not only the good shots but also where you ran into problems. This is helping me tremendously for my own 72x30x24 tank CDA is building.

Can you explain what the ball valve is used for on the Durso drain? Is it for maintenance?

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good Bill!
Just wanted to thank you for the meticulous job you're doing documenting your build; Not only the good shots but also where you ran into problems. This is helping me tremendously for my own 72x30x24 tank CDA is building.

Can you explain what the ball valve is used for on the Durso drain? Is it for maintenance?
I am honestly just following the instructions on setting up a beam animal overflow. The right drain is the full siphon, the center is the emergency overflow, and the left is the half siphon. I think the ball valve is mainly for maintenance.

I did have to alter my plumbing a little because of the brackets that attach to the back of the stand that hold my lighting standards. The drain plumbing came out directly where they mounted, so I ended up have it to move my sump to the right 6”. Not a big deal, but it gives me less room for a platform for my algae scrubber. I checked before glueing everything and I still have room for the platform, so everything is good. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully today I will mostly finish my return section. I will build a support structure and install it to help support the dual returns and they will no be able to support each other. Once I do that I can start to plan the plumbing for the carbon reactor and algae scrubber.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just installed the Wye check valves. I didn’t really need to put unions on either side of the valves, as the check valve has a union itself to clean the plunger, what if I didn’t then I would need one. ;)
6E510D6C-E843-45BC-BEC2-9F123AFB1A73.jpeg

I installed the check valves on the sides and not at my sump to help clean up the sump area. Plus, I would have had to cram them in a tight area as I will have 2 return pumps. Trying to get the check valves in such a small area would have been a pain in the buttocks.

OH!!! Did you notice that I made sure to have at least 5" of PVC before the Apex flow sensors? It is recommended to have at least 5" of straight pipe to make sure the sensors have a clean flow of water. Turbulent water can mess up the readings of the sensors.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I currently have some zip ties holding the returns up, but this is where I am currently. I will build a support to hold up and fasten the returns down.

68FDFE75-BCF8-45B4-AAAD-8C0E5FDE8964.jpeg
180599E1-6D5F-493F-8461-C8F6C388E086.jpeg
760BAEAE-7F17-48A4-AF1C-B257E5746E88.jpeg

Last edited:

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to catch up on the last 14 pages as somehow I wasn't getting notifications. Or I can no longer read or something.

Bill, you are heating things up now. Keep cranking. It all looks great and your patience is admirable. You sure you haven't been at this hobby a bit longer?

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to catch up on the last 14 pages as somehow I wasn't getting notifications. Or I can no longer read or something.

Bill, you are heating things up now. Keep cranking. It all looks great and your patience is admirable. You sure you haven't been at this hobby a bit longer?
LOL, I just hate staring at things that you spend a ton for. I had a plan to have this tank up and running and possibly ready for SPS by Macna 2021, which is in my backyard, its still possible, but its a outside chance. PLUS, I am always a student of the hobby, I will always have questions and never know all the answers.

Last edited:

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just installed the Wye check valves. I didn’t really need to put unions on either side of the valves, as the check valve has a union itself to clean the plunger, what if I didn’t then I would need one. ;)
6E510D6C-E843-45BC-BEC2-9F123AFB1A73.jpeg

I installed the check valves on the sides and not at my sump to help clean up the sump area. Plus, I would have had to cram them in a tight area as I will have 2 return pumps. Trying to get the check valves in such a small area would have be a pain in the buttocks.

OH!!! Did you notice that I made sure to have at least 5" of PVC before the Apex flow sensors? It is recommended to have at least 5" of straight pipe to make sure the sensors have a clean flow of water. Turbulent water can mess up the readings of the sensors.
I had missed that about the flow sensors needing 5" of pipe, and just had to double check my own set up. I got lucky and I have enough line before the sensors.

I also have the same style check valve on the sides, and they're concealed by the tank, but easily accessible for maintenance. I'm wondering if I'm doing the maintenance the best way. I've just been releasing the side cap and removing and washing the plunger once every couple months. Are you planning on removing the whole valve via the unions or is there a maintenance routine you had in mind?

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had missed that about the flow sensors needing 5" of pipe, and just had to double check my own set up. I got lucky and I have enough line before the sensors.

I also have the same style check valve on the sides, and they're concealed by the tank, but easily accessible for maintenance. I'm wondering if I'm doing the maintenance the best way. I've just been releasing the side cap and removing and washing the plunger once every couple months. Are you planning on removing the whole valve via the unions or is there a maintenance routine you had in mind?
Just plan on cleaning the plungers. I installed the unions just in case. I thought about not installing the unions, but with my luck I would need to remove the check valve.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a better picture of what I did yesterday.

250F8DAD-98D9-4C27-81F6-B77E02974EF1.jpeg

I started to build the support for the return today. I will add a few more pieces and paint it flat black. You won’t even know it’s there.

1E91D6BA-2AE9-4F98-8872-3E7DBF153B98.jpeg
C2B77C06-57CF-4087-803C-EC44DEDBE501.jpeg
7F992C3F-E63C-4C58-ABA9-2A874B7F1835.jpeg

Yes, I know I messed up on the left elbow on the return, ;Facepalm , but it is what it is.:( I will probably fix it, as its eating at me, but I will have to replace everything from the left union over to the right. I don't have to replace the Cepex ball valve though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow kinda circle is the ball valve for my algae scrubber, the red and green lines and tee is for my carbon reactor. I will install another ball valve on the carbon reactor, and gate valves and flow sensors on each as well. Neptune is gonna make a small fortune off of me with FMM modules, LOL!!! ;Hilarious

1E91D6BA-2AE9-4F98-8872-3E7DBF153B98.jpeg

I am hoping that I will be able to have my 120 cleaned and ready to move out of the way by this weekend. Thankfully I don't need as many people to help me move it.

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could have helped me more, perhaps a cut list lol. Really good job, certainly gives me a look to aspire too.

Any reason why you went with the 2 flow sensors? Are they to balance out the flow to each nozzle? I'm going to have to get back to the start and read through, 2 return pumps perhaps?

Keep up the pictures, enjoying the journey.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could have helped me more, perhaps a cut list lol. Really good job, certainly gives me a look to aspire too.

Any reason why you went with the 2 flow sensors? Are they to balance out the flow to each nozzle? I'm going to have to get back to the start and read through, 2 return pumps perhaps?

Keep up the pictures, enjoying the journey.
I decided to go with 2 flow sensors as I will have a algae scrubber on one return and a carbon reactor on the other. I went with 2 returns to have redundancy with 2 Neptune Cor 20's.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune will love you! I have the Cor20 as well, figured that for returns and a Cor15 for the reactors. I do like the idea of redundancy.

What other equipment is in the sump? Did you with a Bashsea bio reactor?
Bashsea Carbon reactor is also in the sump. I will plumb in a Clear Water CW-200 algae scrubber as well.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I officially started to drain all the salt water from my 120 gal tank today. I will fill it up with tap water and add citric acid to it to help clean it. Unfortunately, probably due to the weather, I didn’t receive the big batch of citric acid from BRS this week, but hey, you can’t control the weather. I will still fill it up with tap water beforehand.

D2EBAA23-D884-44B9-B43C-609F3F69A18F.jpeg

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 132 59.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 29.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 78 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.5%
Back