OP
Billldg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is where I stand currently. I have 1 return pump running, not in the mood to start chasing any more leaks. I have 2 Maxspect Gyre 350’s running, and 1 Ecotech MP40 running. I added 2 small pieces of actual live rock to the tank and roughly 20 pounds of live rock to the sump. I will eventually get the 2nd return pump running when I am in the mood to chase any more leaks and to also balance out the overflow box, due to the added return flow. I will try to start to get the lighting mounted and up and running as best as I can. Here is a pic of the tank currently. The blue circles are the live rock, and the red circles are the dry rock that I have been soaking in the brute trash can with the live rock for the past 2 months.

0AFE52D3-DB8A-4081-B91E-C2831929102F.jpeg

Looking at that pic, it looks SO empty, LOL!!! This will be a SPS dominant tank though, thus the spacing.;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought everything was good, meaning the leaks, BUT, I am starting to feel dampness again. It is more than likely coming from the right bulkhead on the external overflow. I just ordered some reef safe silicone from BRS. I will likely remove the overflow AGAIN, and use the silicone to seal between the gaskets between the bulkhead and between the tank and external overflow. I may even add a 3rd gasket between the external overflow and the nut that fastens everything together. I need to get this leak issue solved so I can move on.

I was just wanting to get this tank up and running with a few fish in it before Reefapolooza Orlando. I am still shooting for this goal, but with the leaks on the bulkhead. and being on call for work, it is becoming a challenge. I was shooting for this goal mainly because I can automate the new tank, my 40b isn't set up to automate.

It's a little frustrating, NO, actually it's a lot, because I was hoping to have my lights mounted and running this weekend. I can't deal with overflow leaking issues and the lighting being in the way at the same time as I would have to either remove, or lean underneath the lighting fixture to fix the leak. It's always something.:mad:;)

Last edited:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sorry to hear ,what a PITB... :( ,do you have bulk ,gasket ,gasket,nut ? if you know what i mean by that?

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to hear ,what a PITB... :( ,do you have bulk ,gasket ,gasket,nut ? if you know what i mean by that?
Yea, I have the bulkhead,gasket,tank,gasket,overflow,nut. I am going to buy some silicone and put it between all

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
good morning ,is that what they recommend ? meaning order not silicone, is middle gasket needed?
bulk ,gasket, tank, overflow, nut. is what i am familiar with.
but the last new tank i bought was back in the late 90's.. :rolleyes:
really a bummer :(

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good morning ,is that what they recommend ? meaning order not silicone, is middle gasket needed?
The way Modular Marine said to mount it was putting the second gasket between the outside of the tank and the overflow. I am putting the silicone on to help seal the gaskets further.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your frustration with leaks, I had the same problem when setting up my tank. I'm loving the rock work.
Thank you

I just moved the live rock that I had in the sump to the tank, along with the heaters and temp controller, and dropped the water level below the bulkheads. I am about to remove the overflow and bulkheads and start the process of using silicone to further seal the gaskets.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot (51).png

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering that when I plumbed the tank, I may not have had the unions and such as tight as they should be, so when I tighten them on the tank with water in it, could the extra 1/8" of pressure caused by tightening down the unions on the drain be the cause. I know it may sound confusing, but it not, I'm just may not be explaining it good. What I will do, after everything dry's out, is reinstall the overflow box with silicone added, wait a while, then install the drain lines, wait a while and then check the height of the unions on my sump to see.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this is not going to be a quick fix. Water got between the tank and the black paint, and thus separated it. I am currently peeling off the sections that separated and will need the let the back wall dry out. Then I will need to paint the portions with black paint to match. Then I will start to work on the plumbing again. This tank upgrade is becoming a pain, not CDA's fault at all, they built me a beautiful and solid tank and will still recommend them, its just the way things happen sometimes, UGH!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I would have most of the fixes done by this weekend, but I am on call for my work this weekend, so I can't commit to anything. I will try to get the back painted at least. I will need to pick up some rustoleum paint tomorrow.

Mad Angry Bird GIF by swerk

Last edited:

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
man... if it's not one thing,it's another.. :(
grab Murphy ,give him a swift kick in the butt..;Blackeye
just not in NW direction please..:rolleyes:;)

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WELL, here is the silver lining to my issues with my tank. It is also the reason I am posting as many post as I can.

Anyone can have issues with their tank. Whether its a new build, in my case, or established tanks. That is what R2R is about, to help other reefers.

It just goes to show you that, even though you had a smooth ride during your first tank, the second may be a little more challenging. ;)

Last edited:

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a very rough time setting up one of my frag tanks a couple weeks back I tried everything you could think of. Bought new bulkheads, new gaskets etc tried everything. I had to repaint just like you. It was a pain!

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to apply a coat of paint to the section that lifted. I may not have to do another, we will see. Unfortunately, their are several shades of black, and the one I used doesn’t match it 100 percent, but thankfully it’s close enough that the worse someone may think, when they are within a foot of my tank is that it’s a blemish. A few feet away and you can’t tell the difference. The pic below is the area that I had to paint.

E77CCC96-4BEB-4E6F-9264-83FFD0E5FA24.jpeg

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though I had to move the live rock from my sump to the tank, I did beforehand see that the tank is getting great flow. Great flow along the back, and when I had both Gyre 350's going, I could see the sand tumble a little, and that was with the Gyre's only at variable 50 percent. I will install a 2nd MP40 on the opposite site for the back so I can turn down the flow on the other MP40.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to get started on re-installing my external overflow with silicone. Just need to get the feeling to do it, LOL!!! ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious
Hahaha. I can totally relate to that needing to build up some momentum to get started. I had issues with my 60 gallon leaking at the bulkhead. I siliconed it and actually did it looser, and that stopped the leak... but 18 months later, it’s still a salt creep issue.

setting up a tank just isn’t easy. No matter how much you know, there’s always something. but I agree. It’s important to share. Plus. People may be able to think of something you didn’t think of or just simply forgot.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The deed is done, now I have to wait 2 days to see if it worked. This time I didn't have the overflow attached to my sump as I tightened it. If need be, I will shim the sump to fit the plumbing of the overflow. Patience sticks sometimes...wait...who am I kidding, it sticks ALL THE TIME, LOL!!! ;Hilarious :eek:;Hilarious

Scared Still Waiting GIF by Looney Tunes

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have water in the tank to test Wednesday, and HOPEFULLY, if it doesn't leak everywhere, I will run the AWC waste line and feed line this weekend.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back