OP
Billldg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ultimately decided to go with 4 MP40s in my 235 for the sole purpose of maintenance. It’s one of those things I could see starting out well but 1-2 years down the road not being consistent enough.

The only question I have currently is placement. I’d like to put all 4 on the back wall. Basically an 18x30 space per MP40. May also go 2 in the back, 1 on each side.
I will probably go with 4 MP40’s because I don’t want any wires in my tank, but still not fully sure as the Gyre just moves so much water. I still have a while to decide, thankfully, lol!

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 360 is a CDA tank and my previous 260 tank was as well. You will be happy with the quality. I am not sure if you are getting a peninsula tank or not. But there is some solutions to getting a gyre with minimal cords in the tank. IF you have a Canopy and eurpobracing. I have both 4 MP 40s and a Gyre. Happy with having both.

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn’t help but notice your avatar pic, is that a Powder Blue/Goldrim hybrid? I have one as well he is quite purple and can be a real jerk.

2BD0119A-88EA-4FCA-AD67-A91792D8A6CE.jpeg

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn’t help but notice your avatar pic, is that a Powder Blue/Goldrim hybrid? I have one as well he is quite purple and can be a real jerk.

2BD0119A-88EA-4FCA-AD67-A91792D8A6CE.jpeg
My avatar is my Gold Rim tang. Mine can also be temperamental. He and my LT Tang fight all the time.

20190922_145831.jpg

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what are you using for lighting?
I will go with a Aquatic Life 61 in hybrid with 5 Radion XR15 G5 Blues. I am a big fan of the hybrid. I have one on my 120 gal tank.

Still waiting on wider brackets to spread out the fixture even more as the tank will be 30 in's wide.

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will go with a Aquatic Life 61 in hybrid with 5 Radion XR15 G5 Blues. I am a big fan of the hybrid. I have one on my 120 gal tank.

Still waiting on wider brackets to spread out the fixture even more as the tank will be 30 in's wide.
I was trying to decide if I wanted 4 or 5 fixtures for mine as I will be doing the same. Will you get a PAR meter and test?

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was trying to decide if I wanted 4 or 5 fixtures for mine as I will be doing the same. Will you get a PAR meter and test?
I have a par meter. Plus, I will try and bribe Dana Riddle to come over my house to test it as well, lol!

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have the same light set up on my CDA 180.... did you copy LOL. The only difference is I have XR15 G4 Pros. I am getting plenty of PAR (at least according to Seneye).

I need one of those fancy mixing stations! I feel like all I do is mix water, hehe. I am glad you are having fun!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same light set up on my CDA 180.... did you copy LOL. The only difference is I have XR15 G4 Pros. I am getting plenty of PAR (at least according to Seneye).

I need one of those fancy mixing stations! I feel like all I do is mix water, hehe. I am glad you are having fun!
LOL, I just like the hybrid setup, and I run my XR15 G4 pros on the AB+ program, so I figured I would go with the G5 blues to allow me to gain more par with the AB+ program. I went with 5 radions because the one thing I want is complete coverage if needed. I still haven't decided if I will go SPS or mixed reef yet.

The mixing station may be fancy, but its going to cost me as much as I first build did, LOL!!! I just got tired of looking at trash cans in my house. Plus, I will hook it up to my Apex and have control over it.

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was thinking the same thing for mine, but deciding between 3 and 4 LED fixtures. How (and why) would you put 5 Radions on there? It looks there are brackets for 4. Coverage for an XR15 is like 20x20. (In my case I have 6" of the left side of the tank used for internal overflow so my width is 66", not 72").

I was worried about how to cover the 30" front to back (I have same as yours) and I didn't know they sell wider brackets. Good news!

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the same thing for mine, but deciding between 3 and 4 LED fixtures. How (and why) would you put 5 Radions on there? It looks there are brackets for 4. Coverage for an XR15 is like 20x20. (In my case I have 6" of the left side of the tank used for internal overflow so my width is 66", not 72").

I was worried about how to cover the 30" front to back (I have same as yours) and I didn't know they sell wider brackets. Good news!
My tank is 72 in wide. The fixture is only 61 in wide. I will space out the outer XR15's as far to the outside as possible to cover the 6 in's the hybrid fixture won't cover. Plus, as BRS showed in their studies, and I have seen myself on my current hybrid fixture, and I do own a par meter and have checked it, multiple XR15 fixtures reflect off each other, thus keep par readings almost flat at a cheaper price than 3 XR30's. The fixture comes with 4 sets of LED brackets, they sell extras, but haven't seen them in a while. Thankfully I have extras with my 36 in hybrid fixture that I have on my 120. I went with a hybrid because of the width of my tank, like yours. They do sell even wider end plates to allow you to spread it out even wider. I haven't seen them in a while though. I like the wider setup as compared to LEDs alone, as the hybrid's T5's prevent shadowing as they are positioned further out. To get the same spread I would have to go with, at least, 10 XR15's or 6 XR30's. Remember, even with the new LED cluster of the Radions, you will always have some sort of downward cone of light, thus the shadowing.

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 72 in wide. The fixture is only 61 in wide. I will space out the outer XR15's as far to the outside as possible to cover the 6 in's the hybrid fixture won't cover. Plus, as BRS showed in their studies, and I have seen myself on my current hybrid fixture, and I do own a par meter and have checked it, multiple XR15 fixtures reflect off each other, thus keep par readings almost flat at a cheaper price than 3 XR30's. The fixture comes with 4 sets of LED brackets, they sell extras, but haven't seen them in a while. Thankfully I have extras with my 36 in hybrid fixture that I have on my 120. I went with a hybrid because of the width of my tank, like yours. They do sell even wider end plates to allow you to spread it out even wider. I haven't seen them in a while though. I like the wider setup as compared to LEDs alone, as the hybrid's T5's prevent shadowing as they are positioned further out. To get the same spread I would have to go with, at least, 10 XR15's or 6 XR30's. Remember, even with the new LED cluster of the Radions, you will always have some sort of downward cone of light, thus the shadowing.
Awesome. Thanks for sharing your reasoning! Another reason it's helpful to follow someone with the same tank dimensions.

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar size tank from CDA. Great tank. I had 4 very strong friends help bring it in. Let’s just say we barely got it up on the stand. It is a lot of glass and super heavy! Be prepared. Suction cups are needed. Sounds like you will have a great system!

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hybrid lights and hybrid flow. Exactly what we are doing in our new build. Ours is much smaller, but I'm excited to see what you do with this tank!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back