OP
Billldg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who are looking at my build thread and are either new, or looking to upgrade, as I am, there is something you have to remember, your build budget is only a starting point. The reason I say this is that you will always want to add things or change things in the build. When I started this upgrade I had no intention of building a mixing station, let alone a 200 gal mixing station. This added 1 to 2 thousand dollars to the build. If you are a new reefer then it isn't as bad as you are learning what you want and need. Those that are in the process of upgrading and have learned to love certain brands, then you are more likely to understand. Always budget, as best as you can, the upgrades and add on's. Trust me, it will happen, add on's that is. ;)

I do appreciate those who are looking, and watching my build thread. :)

Last edited:

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who are looking at my build thread and are either new, or looking to upgrade, as I am, there is something you have to remember, your build budget is only a starting point. The reason I say this is that you will always want to add things or change things in the build. When I started this upgrade I had no intention of building a mixing station, let alone a 200 gal mixing station. This added 1 to 2 thousand dollars to the build. If you are a new reefer then it isn't as bad as you are learning what you want and need. Those that are in the process of upgrading and have learned to love certain brands, then you are more likely to understand. Always budget, as best as you can, the upgrades and add on's. Trust me, it will happen, add on's that is. ;)

TRUTH!!!

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is very true, it always seems no matter how much you budget for it, it's not enough.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just thought of something, yea, I do think SOMETIMES, LOL, but are bigger tanks any harder to control temp than smaller tanks, HMM!!! The reason I bring this up is the time of the year. Its really not hot enough to raise the house temp and thus bring on the HVAC unit, but your tank is still generating the same amount of heat. As of right now my 120 gal tank is running at 78.8 degrees, yea, not very hot at the moment, but will a 225 gal tank increase the temp. Water absorbs heat, so will a bigger tank absorb more heat. I currently only have to use a 4 fan setup to control heat with the HVAC running. As of right now my HVAC isn't running, and hasn't been running as it has been in the 70's and that's not hot enough to warm up the house to bring on the HVAC unit. I would hate to have to buy a chiller and only have to use it a few times a year for a steady temp. Its always something ain't it, LOL!!! ;Hilarious :eek:;)

Then again, I will not have a canopy, so I will not retain as much heat either.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am almost done with the hard plumbing of the mixing station, just a few more pieces to have it done. I would have been done, but making the change of being able to use both containers slowed me down a little. I will still be done today with the hard piping, but having to use the pvc fittings that were originally meant for the dispense section, I will only be about 95 percent totally done, but lets see what Lowes has as far as sch 80 fittings. I will take some pictures when I am at a stopping point.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to get the hard plumbing done on the mixing station, and I was also able to get the water source for the RO/DI system tied in as well. Tomorrow I will remove the containers and give them a good bath in water and vinegar. It will also allow me to test the water integrity of the bulkheads of the containers. I included several pictures. One of them shows how I had to route the pvc as their wasn’t enough room for me to simply install a tee to be able to use both containers to mix in an emergency. Another picture shows how I tied into the water source with a sharkbite and a compression fitting. The other just shows the finished mixing station minus me fastening the 1/4 water lines. I will do that over the weekend.

B4323BA9-4EC4-4AC6-9E0B-5739A9FCFFD5.jpeg
7E464588-85B7-45A5-AB47-F5AA6AFFD06B.jpeg
7F5028C3-3DBF-4BC6-9E74-578C928D9586.jpeg
3CCC17DC-B53B-4D1B-B5FD-B01835D543DD.jpeg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great. No shortcuts here.

Makes me one day think I will do a mixing station of my own. You have to be a seriously committed reefer to do that. After 30+ years I am still on the fence :) .

Keep updating and pics coming.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great. No shortcuts here.

Makes me one day think I will do a mixing station of my own. You have to be a seriously committed reefer to do that. After 30+ years I am still on the fence :) .

Keep updating and pics coming.
Your only 3 to 4 hours away, if you need some water, just call, LOL!!!

Just got tired of looking at trash cans, LOL!!! ;Hilarious

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning to capture your waste water? Only reason I ask is right now I am looking for a solution for what to use waste water for during the drought we are experiencing here.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning to capture your waste water? Only reason I ask is right now I am looking for a solution for what to use waste water for during the drought we are experiencing here.
As of right now I have no plans, but I always used the waste to water my lawn as it dumps out onto the lawn.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
this summer/ fall put 5er's in stock trough ,for waste to water trees and gardens ,was a real dry spell here,norm just out window to lawn :)

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I was able to clean one container before it started to rain, in the process of cleaning the second. I am currently starting to fill up the one container with RO/DI water, and when I finish cleaning the second I will fill it also. Then I will turn on the pump and check for leaks on the rest of the fittings and also finish cleaning the system. I will probably fill it up between 60 to 80 gals of RO/DI water and circulate it between the containers and the dump it before I start using the water. I am trying to get rid of any impurities in the system as it was just setup.

Its funny, the difference in time it takes to fill a 32 gal brute trash can vs. a 100 gal Norwesco container. I had to constantly check the brute trash can as I have overfilled it several times, with the 100 gal Norwesco container its kinda like, eventually it may fill it up, LOL!!! ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I am currently filling up both containers as I hooked the second container up and opened the system up, each container to the other. Once I hit 45 gals on both I will turn on the pump and check for more leaks. Feels good to actually get something completed , LOL!!! ;Hilarious ;) ;Happy

This is the bad thing about a slow build, aka, custom tank. It can take a while to get your tank, and thus, loose a little interest in the build yourself. DON'T LET IT!!! You knew this was a possibility, the time you have to wait until you get your tank. Just try and get the other things done, so when your tank arrives your are more prepared to get it wet quicker than sooner. ;) ;Happy

Trust me when I say that their are a ton of things to do when its a dream tank. You don't want to skimp on anything, cost or product. Its your, or in my case mine, dream tank. A dream tank means no expense, aka, you will spend more than you wanted, but its YOUR DREAM TANK!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I filled the containers yesterday and I am testing everything right now. I moved the water from the RO/DI container to the salt water container and it worked with ease. Now I am allowing the water to circulate thru the salt water side as I am currently filling the RO/DI side with fresh water that will be used to make my first batch of saltwater. I am about to test the pump and it’s ability to pump the water upstairs and they a 50 ft hose. I ordered a 100 ft of 3/4 clear braided hose that I will use. I don’t foresee and problems with the water being pumped upstairs and over 50 ft. The first pic is the down pipe in the salt side container. I will create a stand to attach the heater and temp probe to.

F892CF0C-AF37-438D-B4F8-478D671BF668.jpeg
4D36102D-D912-44A2-9022-B7C1DFAE580A.jpeg

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did the test, and I am so glad I went with a Pan World 200ps pump instead of using a Cor 20. The Cor would not have had enough head pressure to push the water. The Pan World 200ps did it with ease. At 38 ft of head it should, lol!

I pumped the 70 or so gals I had in the RO side to the salt side, now I am filling the RO side back up. When I reach 90 on the salt side I will mix a batch.

The water on the floor was from the hose, not the mixing station, LOL!!!
7ABCFAD4-47A9-4122-8628-72E3AEADFB11.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mixing station looks great!! What did you use to clean the inside with?
Water, vinegar, and a mop, LOL!!! ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back