OP
Billldg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always find if funny and cool to watch my LPS feed when I turn off the pumps and feed them Reef Roids. Pictures of my WWC Rainbow blastos and my TSA Black Widow blastos.

@fishguy242...PICURES!!! ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious

20210718_152137.jpg

20210718_152142.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is true that most softies and LPS can survive and probably thrive off of the N03 and P04 in your tank...BUT...If your N03 and P04 are at 0, then they will slowly starve to death. I found my tank N03 and P04 deficient, meaning 0 and 0, and it was slowly starving my Blastos. They were starting to show skeleton on the top polyps. I decided to manually feed the LPS frags and in short order, they are growing back, covering the skeleton that was being shown. They were not retracted in any way, just showing skeleton. They were fully extended trying to get as much energy from the lights as possible. Now, after I started feeding they are actually happy and growing again. Just something to think about and remember. ;)

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is true that most softies and LPS can survive and probably thrive off of the N03 and P04 in your tank...BUT...If you N03 and P04 are at 0, then they will slowly starve to death. I found my tank N03 and P04 deficient, meaning 0 and 0, and it was slowly starving my Blastos. They were starting to show skeleton on the top polyps. I decided to manually feed the LPS frags and in short order, they are growing back, covering the skeleton that was being shown. They were not retracted in any way, just showing skeleton. They were fully extended trying to get as much energy from the lights as possible. Now, after I started feeding they are actually happy and growing again. Just something to think about and remember. ;)
What are you feeding your blastos? How are you actually feeding them and are you turning off or adjusting the flow for any period of time?

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you feeding your blastos? How are you actually feeding them and are you turning off or adjusting the flow for any period of time?
I feed them Reef Roids. I usually soaked the Reef Roids in KZ Amino's as well, but I am currently out. I turn off all the return pumps and flow pumps to allow them to feed. I use a turkey baster and coat them in the food. I wait until I see that they are no longer feeding before I turn on the pumps again. Usually they are off for 10-15 minutes.

Last edited:

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed them Reef Roids. I usually soaked the Reef Roids in KZ Amino's as well, but I am currently out. I turn off all the return pumps and flow pumps to allow them to feed. I use a turkey baster and coat them in the food. I wait until I see that they are no longer feeding before I turn on the pumps again. Usually they are off for 10-15 minutes.
Thanks. I noticed this on one of my blastos although I think I may have also had them in area with too little light. I changed their location and I'm going to try target feeding using your mix.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I noticed this on one of my blastos although I think I may have also had them in area with too little light. I changed their location and I'm going to try target feeding using your mix.
Just remember that you want to cast the food over them and not blast them when using a turkey baster. I only say this to make sure you don't put to much flow on the polyp. :)

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the pic's of the blastos, I think I need to quickly put them on 3in disks...LOL!!!

I am at a point were I will need to frag my BSA Tata Twister blastos...and yes...the name has been politically corrected, as it has grow out to cover a 3in disk. :eek: :p

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to install the Propeller Breeze 3 4 fan along with a Propeller Controller in the next few days. It is pretty simple and straight forward. Below is the instructions to install both.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is true that most softies and LPS can survive and probably thrive off of the N03 and P04 in your tank...BUT...If your N03 and P04 are at 0, then they will slowly starve to death. I found my tank N03 and P04 deficient, meaning 0 and 0, and it was slowly starving my Blastos. They were starting to show skeleton on the top polyps. I decided to manually feed the LPS frags and in short order, they are growing back, covering the skeleton that was being shown. They were not retracted in any way, just showing skeleton. They were fully extended trying to get as much energy from the lights as possible. Now, after I started feeding they are actually happy and growing again. Just something to think about and remember. ;)
A few systems are able to process NO3 & PO4 so quickly that it is hard to measure residuals. The corals can get by as long as the tank is fed very regularly and often. It is not a tightrope I choose to walk but some are able to manage it OK like those bacteria driven folks running ZEO.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to install the Propeller Breeze 3 4 fan along with a Propeller Controller in the next few days. It is pretty simple and straight forward. Below is the instructions to install both.

Once you are fully running everything with GHL, it would be interesting to read a side-by-side Pros & Cons versus APEX.

I don't care for Neptune hardware; it is cheaply made. But it is hard to imagine my reef without their software.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I stopped the AWC, and I will continue dosing NeoNitro and NeoPhos to try and raise the N03 and P04.
Just put in my order for NeoPhos and NeoNitro. Is there anything that I should keep in mind while dosing these?

I use TM all for reef for my alk and cal supplementation. It apparently has a carbon dosing effect, which drives down my phosphates to 0.006 and nitrites to undetectable levels.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put in my order for NeoPhos and NeoNitro. Is there anything that I should keep in mind while dosing these?

I use TM all for reef for my alk and cal supplementation. It apparently has a carbon dosing effect, which drives down my phosphates to 0.006 and nitrites to undetectable levels.
Not really, you just need to figure out how much you need to add. They have a calculation on the bottle. I am up to 100+ ml daily.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ,BILL... :cool:

PS:Boxes don't count as pics...;):p:)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back