OP
Billldg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OHH...and @fishguy242, I didn't say I would take pictures of the contents inside the boxes, I just said the inside, it may just be the inside of the boxes...LOL!!! :p ;Hilarious:p:D;Hilarious

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look what just showed up!!! My self purchased birthday present.

20210723_120913.jpg

This picture is for you @fishguy242, lol!!!

20210723_121827.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
FUNGI...;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Facepalm

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently floating them in my sump. It will take a while as I can only do 3 at a time. @tsmaquatics don't mess around when shipping. I think they send 10 percent of their saltwater in the bags, LOL!!!

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed this on my first order from @tsmaquatics, and I am seeing it again, they don't care about the weight of the water, only the health and safety of the fish when they ship. I would almost bet they put a gallon of water in the bags when they ship it. How many times have we received fish, low or high costing, and the bag only has a few inches of water in it. TSM Aquatics will always be my go to for QT'd fish.

When I finish adding the fish I just received, I will have a Gem tang, Blonde Naso tang, Purple tang, D. Sailfin tang, Yellow Flanked Fairy wrasse, Pintail Fairy wrasse, Divided Leopard wrasse, Eightline Flasher wrasse, and a Orange Back Fairy wrasse from them in my tank.;Happy;Happy;Happy

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May the tang battle royal begin...UGH!!! I knew it could happen, and likely would happen, but my Achilles turned into a bully in 2.5 seconds. Thankfully, I am seeing my Gem tang fighting back. Just wait until I add 2 more Zebrasoma in 30 mins. :(

Talk about the tank order being disrupted.

FYI, for those that plan on adding multiple tangs, this can and likely will happen. They will have to set the pecking order. You can use a acclimation box, but in my case, I can't add 4 acclimation boxes. I already had 2 tangs in the tank, a Tomini and Achilles tang. I am currently adding a Gem tang, Purple tang, D. Sailfin tang, and a Blonde Naso tang. It is best to add them all at once to disperse any aggression. I noticed very quickly that the Achilles ignored the Blonde Naso tang and went straight for the Gem tang. They do kinda have a similar shape, until the Gem tang gets comfortable, and starts to flash. Just know they will probably cut each other, and, its part of the process of setting the order. Tanks are constantly changing when fish grow and the pecking order changes as a result. You have to monitor it, and maybe, intervein sometimes. I used a marker stick to chase the Achilles away several times to give the Gem tang some time to collect itself just after adding it to my DT. Shortly after, it was fighting back. I also added a few pieces of Nori on clips away from the new tangs to entice the resident tangs away from the new tangs.

Its funny that the Blonde Naso is tail to tail with the Gem tang hanging out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I truly hope that @evolved is wrong and that the Orange Back Fairy wrasse I received from TSM Aquatics does keep its colors. That is truly one underrated wrasse. The colors are very very vibrant and it would be a show piece wrasse in any tank. I will not take pictures of the 6 fish I added for a few days as want them to be swimming normally and comfortably in a new tank. I truly hope I can take a picture and do the Orange Back Fairy wrasse some justice. :) :) :)

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I truly hope that @evolved is wrong and that the Orange Back Fairy wrasse I received from TSM Aquatics does keep its colors. That is truly one underrated wrasse. The colors are very very vibrant and it would be a show piece wrasse in any tank. I will not take pictures of the 6 fish I added for a few days as want them to be swimming normally and comfortably in a new tank. I truly hope I can take a picture and do the Orange Back Fairy wrasse some justice. :) :) :)
First of all, happy birthday. May I say you are a great birthday shopper.
I too had an Achillies tang in the tank when adding several more from TSM (I love them, a great place to buy from.) In my case, I used a mirror, and the Achillies spent days fighting his reflection, and it gave the others time to settle in. Luckily my Purple tang is larger and has done a good job putting the Achillies in his place. They have really calmed down. I also found that real heavy feeding also helps with the aggresssion.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, happy birthday. May I say you are a great birthday shopper.
I too had an Achillies tang in the tank when adding several more from TSM (I love them, a great place to buy from.) In my case, I used a mirror, and the Achillies spent days fighting his reflection, and it gave the others time to settle in. Luckily my Purple tang is larger and has done a good job putting the Achillies in his place. They have really calmed down. I also found that real heavy feeding also helps with the aggresssion.
I have noticed that the Achilles just picks one out and go's with it. It went after the Gem tang, then that settled, now it is going after the D. Sailfin tang, it seems to be settling, but slower that the other combination. It gets out of the way of the Purple tang I introduced, as the Purple tang is bigger. I saw something that I found very interesting, when needed, Zebrasoma join together and fight off intruders. I say this because I just watched my Gem, Purple, and D. Sailfin back the Achilles out of a tunnel. Then I've seen them do it several more times. Very interesting to say the least.

Last edited:

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed that the Achilles just picks one out and go's with it. It went after the Gem tang, then that settled, now it is going after the D. Sailfin tang, it seems to be settling, but slower that the other combination. It gets out of the way of the Purple tang I introduced, as the Purple tang is bigger. I saw something that I found very interesting, when needed, Zebrasoma join together and fight off intruders. I say this because I just watched my Gem, Purple, and D. Sailfin back the Achilles out of a tunnel. Then I seen them do it several more times. Very interesting to say the least.
I wonder if that will happen when my Red Sea sailfin gets bigger. Right now he's the smallest one.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if that will happen when my Red Sea sailfin gets bigger. Right now he's the smallest one.
LOL, not sure about that, BUT, we will see!!!

I understand that, even in a 225 gal tank, I will probably have to relocate the D. Sailfin and Blonde Naso at some point, but I have no problem doing that knowing that will be going to a bigger tank...as its the right thing to do.

Another FYI...WE all have to understand that fish can outgrow a tank, and thus, relocate it. Even if we don't want to, its the right thing to do. ;) :)

That's were the Tang Police come in. ;) They understand that most people CAN'T relocate a fish as they grow way to close to the tang...YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE TO LET IT GO TO A BIGGER AND BETTER TANK SOMETIMES!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the tangs are out and wrasses, minus the Eightline flasher wrasse. I am about to feed them. I just mixed the food, and its funny, adding 4 cubes of Hikari frozen food. The most I have done was 3, and that was simply to try and raise my N03 and P04.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, not sure about that, BUT, we will see!!!

I understand that, even in a 225 gal tank, I will probably have to relocate the D. Sailfin and Blonde Naso at some point, but I have no problem doing that knowing that will be going to a bigger tank...as its the right thing to do.

Another FYI...WE all have to understand that fish can outgrow a tank, and thus, relocate it. Even if we don't want to, its the right thing to do. ;) :)

That's were the Tang Police come in. ;) They understand that most people CAN'T relocate a fish as they grow way to close to the tang...YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE TO LET IT GO TO A BIGGER AND BETTER TANK SOMETIMES!!!
Very true. You have to let them go when they outgrow. I had an orange shoulder and a foxface for years in an 80 frag. I recently did a customer build on a 12' and I moved them in. Man were they a challenge to catch and release. Big fish are STRONG.

Just look how happy they are now.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have cleaned the glass before taking the photos, BUT, the wrasse still look great. The photos are of a Eightline Flasher Wrasse and a Orangeback Fairy wrasse.

20210723_173625.jpg
20210723_173559.jpg

Yes, I am also dealing with Cyano, so please don't judge, lol!

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I added tangs I used the old mirror trick when things got out of hand. Once they see another fish that looks like them, the focus changes. Mine got along after the mirror was removed.
It settled down thankfully. Its just the normal bickering that will likely happen forever.

Now I just need to take care of the Cyano...UGH!!!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back