OP
Billldg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man you have that skimmer working over time. I'm looking forward to seeing you control cabinet, it's looking great so far.
LOL!!! That's that not my skimmer, that's @fishguy242 skimmer. Mine is barely breaking a sweat, LOL!!!

The control cabinet is coming along. I finished the panel that will hold the powerbars and some other controllers and I am currently painting it. :D

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
New baby name reveal in approx 9-10 hours...;) :cool:
just FYI...:cool:

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still dealing with Diatoms...UGH!!!

About to put some bottles of NeoNitro and NeoPhos on some pumps to dose daily. Even when using a portion of live rock, the portion of dry rock will suck it up, thus, Dino issues. I see some bubbles, but, not concerned yet. I am trying to prevent the Dino issue.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton received my sample, lets see what it shows!!! :D :cool: :eek::)

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I said before, I will be doing the @Bulk Reef Supply hybrid balling method. I hooked up the container with the Tropic Marin Part C to the GHL doser and I will start with 100ml p/day. I just dosed my first 100ml just now. Lets see how this works out.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to put this out here as...IT ALWAY'S COME AROUND MY BIRTHDAY...and I have been watching it since it's beginning...WHO IS WAITING FOR SHARKWEEK!!! :cool: :D :eek::cool::eek:
Shark Week GIF

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just doing some maintenance on the tank today. Still dealing with a major diatom outbreak. I am not sure if its still the new tank uglies, or something else. I am cleaning as much of the diatoms as I can. I am cleaning the glass and scraping the back of the DT, I am brushing off the aquascape and letting everything collect in the filter socks. I will likely order a bunch more Cerith snails as well to help clean up some of the diatoms.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just doing some maintenance on the tank today. Still dealing with a major diatom outbreak. I am not sure if its still the new tank uglies, or something else. I am cleaning as much of the diatoms as I can. I am cleaning the glass and scraping the back of the DT, I am brushing off the aquascape and letting everything collect in the filter socks. I will likely order a bunch more Cerith snails as well to help clean up some of the diatoms.
Have you confirmed diatoms and not dinos? Coffee filter test?

Either way, this early in the progression it is likely to get eventually outcompeted by the next set of organisms.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you confirmed diatoms and not dinos? Coffee filter test?

Either way, this early in the progression it is likely to get eventually outcompeted by the next set of organisms.
I thought about dinos, as I am having a hard time getting N03 and P04 above 0. I started feeding even heavier and dosing NeoNitro and NeoPhos. I am about to do test to see if they have risen any. Until I get the next load of fish in, not having a load on the tank makes it hard to keep N03 and P04 up. I do believe its diatoms though as the tank started going thru the ugly stage, and just hasn't come out of it yet.

This is the drawback to using any amount of dry rock, it will absorb N03 and P04, thus bottoming out your N03 and P04. Its the reason you are seeing an increase in dino outbreaks. ;)

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have my GHL KHD reading 7.8 DKH while my Apex Trident is reading 8.29 DKH. My Trident Alk reagent is about to be empty, so I don't truly trust the reading as I have constantly seen measurement drift as the reagents empty out. I went to test my Alk with my Hanna, and wouldn't you know it, my Hanna is not acting right. It read 5.2 and 5.3 DKH. I am not sure that is even possible. I changed cuvettes and the same, 5.3 DKH. The reagent is good, it doesn't expire until 2/2022. I just sent a message to Hanna, lets see what they say. It go's to show you that Hanna checkers are not the golden standard, and are subjected to issues and errors just like anything else. ;)

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AND I AM STILL WAITING ON MY TRITON ICP ANAYLSIS...LOL!!!

Inquiring minds want to know...MAINLY...ME!!!

Still Waiting GIF by The Office

Of course its only been a few days since they received it, but I am not impatient. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered 3 Lt's of Brightwell Aquatics Purit. I will run in in my carbon reactor to help strip the water of silicates. My only concern is that it will also remove N03 and P04. If need be, I will just dose twice as much NeoNitro and NeoPhos. I need to get over the new tank uglies and move on. I may also send a test to Trident to test my RO/DI mixing station water. The silicates have to be coming from somewhere, just not sure where. I use a 7 stage RO/DI BRS system, so I doubt its coming from there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SHARK WEEK meme ,does not count as pic ,Bill... ;) :p:cool:;Hilarious;Hilarious
ANNND....SPBLAMMED...;Happy
V__140B.jpg
WP_20210713_13_42_40_Pro.jpg
Such a cutie, and the SPS colony looks good as well :p ...But the puppy looks far better, LOL!!!;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious :p

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my first Triton ICP test results in. They are surprisingly good, with a few exceptions. None are bad. I just need to adjust a few things. The Cal I already knew was low and already had adjusted it. The other things are a few trace elements. I will not chase them as it often leads to bigger issues. Like I said, nothing was bad, just some tweaks. I did notice my silicates were within range, but on the higher end of the range. I ordered, and will run, Brightwell Aquatics Purit to help remove and silicates and get over the new tank uglies. I will have to monitor my N03 and P04 as it also removes it as well.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KInda GEEKING OUT as I will receive my next fish order from @tsmaquatics this Friday. It will include a Gem Tang, Purple Tang, D. Sailfin Tang, True Blonde Naso Tang, Orange Back Fairy wrasse, and a Eightline Flasher wrasse.

I CAN"T WAIT ANY LONGER!!! :eek: :cool: :D :eek:

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;Happy ;Woot;WootBut...;Facepalmgoing to make us wait THREE weeks for pics...:D;Hilarious;Hilarious:cool:
SERIOUSLY, YOU THINK I WILL WAIT 3 WEEKS FOR PICTURES OF MY NEW FISH!!!

7-23-21...maybe 2022...BUT!!! ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about dinos, as I am having a hard time getting N03 and P04 above 0. I started feeding even heavier and dosing NeoNitro and NeoPhos. I am about to do test to see if they have risen any. Until I get the next load of fish in, not having a load on the tank makes it hard to keep N03 and P04 up. I do believe its diatoms though as the tank started going thru the ugly stage, and just hasn't come out of it yet.

This is the drawback to using any amount of dry rock, it will absorb N03 and P04, thus bottoming out your N03 and P04. Its the reason you are seeing an increase in dino outbreaks. ;)
Agreed. Dead rock is my nemesis. I will take (most) hitch-hikers any day over the many months of labor from a dead rock start. Or in my case, a re-aquascape with dead rock. Live is so expensive these days but so worth it to me.

You should be able to raise nitrate okay, it is the phosphates that do all the binding to rock. I dosed 2 liters of DIY (trisodium phosphate) before I could keep a reading. Only 200ml of nitrate and could've been much less if I had enough fish. Now with enough fish, I dose vodka instead.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back