OP
Billldg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did any one notice, I think I already said BRS didn't put anything into the R2R partner member raffle, BUT, neither did Ecotech...HMMM!!! Both were bought out my Bertram, can you say interesting. I hate big business and will never talk good about a acquisition company looking to ONLY make their share holders happy. Bertram couldn't care less about furthering the hobby...THEY...only care about making money and dumping a company afterward. Have you looked at their portfolio? Have you looked at the companies they currently own and the one's they have owned in the past. Interesting isn't it, they seem to keep the companies that still make money for the shareholders and dump the rest.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of replacing my Gyre 350's with 2 Ecotech MP60's based simply on ease of maintenance. That would cost me over $1500...YEA!!! I will likely just order new impellers, cages, and flow directors and simply replace them as needed. I love the way my Gyre 350's move the water. Any other pump is way to directed and singular in the flow. My Gyres move the WHOLE tank. Their is no other pump that can do that. ;)

I love my MP40's, and thought that the simple replacement of the wetside was worth the cost, is it really? In truth, how hard is it to simply remove the Gyre and replace the drive side...HMMM!!! It would take a few more seconds than a MP pump. You just need a 2nd set of each as you need another wetside. Did I mention that it will cost me far less to do the same with my Gyres. ;) :oops:

Ecotech Mp60 wetside replacements: $370+

Maxspect Gyre 350's: $104, including the flow directors, its $28+, so its $132.

Both are for equal replacements of 2 pumps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact is, my Maxspect Gyre 350's and my Reef Octopus 250-SSS have not failed me yet. I say this because I one of my Gyre 350's is almost 2 years old and I have owned 2 Reef Octopus skimmers. I have owned a 150-SSS and now a 250-SSS and neither one has failed me and was hard to tune in. I give credit were credit is due. I feel that the products Coralvue own will live up to your expectations. I can say this because I own them personally. Its the reason I will also get a Abyzz in the near future. ;)

Ramdude4G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am such a PROUD PAPA today. I looked and I am seeing scalpels starting to grow out of my True Blonde Naso tang and the start of orange highlights around them. He or She is growing up...LOL!!!
Mine is not much older than yours. Lol. Mine started showing signs about 6 weeks ago. On the tail fin are the points long and stramer like or just look a normal fish tail? The fancy tail is a male. Normal looking tail is female.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good reason to use 1 return pump over 2, though the redundancy is a plus, is that fact that your sump is not really capable of housing 2 return pumps. I constantly deal with microbubbles because I shoehorned 2 pumps into a return section that was built for 1. I have to keep my water level higher than I like to keep the breaking of the water from the 2nd section of my sump to the return section of my sump. I have to do this to keep microbubbles from entering the return pumps and into my DT. With a single pump I trust, I will not have to do this, THUS, me going with Abyzz.

I would like to go with an Abyzz A200, as it will cost me far less, BUT, I will look at the deals on Black Friday to see which way I go.

Last edited:

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of replacing my Gyre 350's with 2 Ecotech MP60's based simply on ease of maintenance. That would cost me over $1500...YEA!!! I will likely just order new impellers, cages, and flow directors and simply replace them as needed. I love the way my Gyre 350's move the water. Any other pump is way to directed and singular in the flow. My Gyres move the WHOLE tank. Their is no other pump that can do that. ;)

I love my MP40's, and thought that the simple replacement of the wetside was worth the cost, is it really? In truth, how hard is it to simply remove the Gyre and replace the drive side...HMMM!!! It would take a few more seconds than a MP pump. You just need a 2nd set of each as you need another wetside. Did I mention that it will cost me far less to do the same with my Gyres. ;) :oops:

Ecotech Mp60 wetside replacements: $370+

Maxspect Gyre 350's: $104, including the flow directors, its $28+, so its $132.

Both are for equal replacements of 2 pumps.
I have 4 MP40s on my 235g for the very reason of maintenance. I like the idea of the gyres but they just seem like a lot of work and I'm 99% sure I simply wouldn't do the necessary maintenance. Probably best that I never try them because then I may not like my current decision... lol

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been for a while, BUT, now I am really starting to think on how I want to replumb my returns. First thing, should I use 2 1 1/4 Wye check valves or 1. On my 120 gal tank I had a single pump with 2 return outlets and only used a single check valve because I was only using a single pump and could install it on the horizontal PVC leaving my pump. On my upgrade I had 2 return pumps and thus, had to use 2 check valves. I plan on going with a single return pump when I replumb my returns, thus, the question. Using one less check valve will help with head height. Will a Wye check valve work as good in the horizontal position and is does in the vertical position?

@ReefSquad

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been for a while, BUT, now I am really starting to think on how I want to replumb my returns. First thing, should I use 2 1 1/4 Wye check valves or 1. On my 120 gal tank I had a single pump with 2 return outlets and only used a single check valve because I was only using a single pump and could install it on the horizontal PVC leaving my pump. On my upgrade I had 2 return pumps and thus, had to use 2 check valves. I plan on going with a single return pump when I replumb my returns, thus, the question. Using one less check valve will help with head height. Will a Wye check valve work as good in the horizontal position and is does in the vertical position?

@ReefSquad
I read the the Wye is much less effective when mounted horizontally. Just make sure the piece that gets cleaned is in the upward facing position.

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 MP40s on my 235g for the very reason of maintenance. I like the idea of the gyres but they just seem like a lot of work and I'm 99% sure I simply wouldn't do the necessary maintenance. Probably best that I never try them because then I may not like my current decision... lol
How do you like the 4 MP40s? I want to run the same setup. I checked out your build thread but you haven't updated it!

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read the the Wye is much less effective when mounted horizontally. Just make sure the piece that gets cleaned is in the upward facing position.
That's my concern. Theoretically, gravity should effect it the same, BUT, I have also read that mounted horizontally, it is less effective.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@ReefSquad
Do you even need a check valve?

I don’t have any, but if you decide on the a200 I don’t think you will have any issues either way.

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like the 4 MP40s? I want to run the same setup. I checked out your build thread but you haven't updated it!
I love it and think it has worked out very well. I can definitely see the flow hitting all areas of the tank and changing frequently with all on reef crest mode. All I have right now are frags and mini-colonies so I can't yet speak to how it will be when the tank is loaded with grown out colonies.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you even need a check valve?

I don’t have any, but if you decide on the a200 I don’t think you will have any issues either way.
I always install them to prevent siphoning when the power or pump turns off. I may just add a flapper check valve and not a Wye check valve.

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always install them to prevent siphoning when the power or pump turns off. I may just add a flapper check valve and not a Wye check valve.

+1 on keeping it vertical if you choose this style valve. The plunger will get stuck if it's not maintained regularly (I would estimate monthly). I don't rely on it, and have only been cleaning it prior to travel.

IMG_0543.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will never talk bad about a MP pump. I love them, which is why I was considering changing my Gyre 350x2 to 2 MP60's. Unfortunately, I will likely not as it may take 1 minute longer to to change out the wetsides of a Gyre vs a MP pump. I sent Coralvue a few emails on a package deal option for the impeller setups of a Gyre 300 series. It will never be a MP pump in that you are truly replacing the wetside and nothing more, Ecotech has cornered the market on that. It will, however, make it easier to do the standard maintenance on a Gyre. For those that have Gyres, honestly, how long would it take to simply replace the impellers, cages, and flow directors it you had a complete set. If I had a full replacement kit for both of my Gyre 350's, it may take 1-2 minutes more per Gyre pump. I have my Gyres up high enough that I barely see the wires, and I also had wholes cot into my Eurobracing so I could pass the wire thru it. My 2 favorite flow pumps will always be Gyres' and MP pumps. They both have their purpose, and, are the best at doing them.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should, IF FedEx does what they should do...LOL...get a shipment from @FraghouseCorals tomorrow. Its a smaller shipment as it was supposed to be a tester frag order, BUT, I can just buy tester frags from his AWESOME live sale, LOL!!! I can not wait to get those frags and see how they do in my tank, which is showing good signs of the backend of dealing with Dino's.

If you have not checked out @FraghouseCorals, and are stick heads, then you should check them out. ;)

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is a moment of truth day to see were my tank is. I received my order from Fraghouse Corals today...still hate FedEx as they were to lazy to actually place the package on my door step and left it at my garage door...and I am currently floating them. In a bit I will dip them in Bayer.

Also, I am starting to see improvement on my scape, meaning, I can actually see the algae steadily receding. The more of the algae that dies off on the scape, the more coraline algae can grow on it.

To take a quote from the A-Team, LOL, I love it when a plan comes together. ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back