OP
Billldg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have made up my mind. I will be switching to GHL. It will cost me a small fortune, but I feel it is worth it. I have had no big issues with the Apex 2016 and the modules, its the flow sensor build quality and the Trident drift that has pushed me to a product that I feel still takes into account the customer. Apex is a good controller, but I want better than good, and thus, I will be switching to GHL. I will not officially switch until the Fall, or maybe even the Winter, as it will cost me a small fortune to switch, but it will happen. ;) :cool::eek:

I will start to buy pieces along the way. I may even buy the ION Director standalone version in the meanwhile.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knowing myself, LOL, I couldn't stand still. I started to rough plum my AWC. When I say rough plum, I mean that I have it cut and hooked up, but I don't have it fastened to the wall, aka, looking great. I am currently priming the supply line.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OHHH, and something I noticed is that this tank seems to run hotter than my 120 gal tank. I ordered, and should be getting today, a 4 fan assembly that I will install on the sump thru my Apex. If it works, then I will order a 4,5, or 6 fan assembly from GHL to help cool down the tank. If it doesn't work then I will have to order a chiller. I don't think it will be necessary to order a chiller though.

I already have the outlet programmed, just waiting on the fan assy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently priming the supply line, AGAIN, for the AWC. I made a BONE HEAD mistake and hooked the lines backwards;Facepalm, but I may actually have the AWC working today, and do the first AWC of many many to come.

I had water coming out of the supply line from my saltwater tank for a bit now. I will use it to prime the waste line to keep from using the tank water and messing up the salinity. Then I will do a calibration and set up the AWC. I will need to do a few more calibrations down the road, but this will get me close to start with.

Tomorrow I will fasten the lines to the wall and make it look pretty.:rolleyes:;):cool:

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WELL, I am no longer thinking, I am switching to GHL!!! I can't bad mouth Neptune Apex, I have not had any real big issues, its just to many small issues that caused me to switch. I had an issue with the Cor 20 and the flow amount and the textbook response from Neptune...You need to upsize your plumbing. I am in the select few that can upsize to a point, the problem I had is how many other reefers can...HMMM!!! Lets say that I did upsize the plumbing and it still didn't work, then what.

I also had a problem with the flow meters and the constant need to clean the impellers to keep them working properly. Sounds like a whole ton of extra work on a system that already needs a lot of maintenance.

The final straw to push me to GHL was the Trident. I am not confident in the readings. I constantly get different measurements from the Trident to my Hanna checkers. I am also tired of constantly seeing the drift of the Cal and Mag as the reagents get lower and the head pressure of the reagents get lower. I need consistency in my dream tank. I asked a friend, who will not be named, so please don't ask, is it worth $4000 dollars, and without hesitation, this person said YES.

So I reached out to GHL and I will be switching. I will start another thread to chronicle the switch. I am good with computers, but no were near as some. It will be a down and dirty switch. I will be asking @Ditto a ton of questions along the way as well as @Vinny@GHLUSA and a few others.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a GHL ION Director, now I have to wait as the epidemic messed up a lot of things. In the end it is worth it as the Ion Director detects Calcium, Magnesium, Sodium, Nitrates<MY Fav...and Potassium.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OHHH, and I ordered a KH Director as well...OOPS...LOL!!! ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious

I have to wait a week for my paycheck to drop before I can order the Energy Bars, 3 more that is. :rolleyes: :eek:

YES, I have A LOT of Neptune Apex stuff to replace, BUT I feel it it is worth it for my dream tank. ;) :cool::D

Last edited:

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WELL, I am no longer thinking, I am switching to GHL!!! I can't bad mouth Neptune Apex, I have not had any real big issues, its just to many small issues that caused me to switch. I had an issue with the Cor 20 and the flow amount and the textbook response from Neptune...You need to upsize your plumbing. I am in the select few that can upsize to a point, the problem I had is how many other reefers can...HMMM!!! Lets say that I did upsize the plumbing and it still didn't work, then what.

I also had a problem with the flow meters and the constant need to clean the impellers to keep them working properly. Sounds like a whole ton of extra work on a system that already needs a lot of maintenance.

The final straw to push me to GHL was the Trident. I am not confident in the readings. I constantly get different measurements from the Trident to my Hanna checkers. I am also tired of constantly seeing the drift of the Cal and Mag as the reagents get lower and the head pressure of the reagents get lower. I need consistency in my dream tank. I asked a friend, who will not be named, so please don't ask, is it worth $4000 dollars, and without hesitation, this person said YES.

So I reached out to GHL and I will be switching. I will start another thread to chronicle the switch. I am good with computers, but no were near as some. It will be a down and dirty switch. I will be asking @Ditto a ton of questions along the way as well as @Vinny@GHLUSA and a few others.
Wow, this is a bold move and pretty big news. I have enormous dependence on APEX and can hardly imagine switching so I will be on the lookout for the switchover thread. (Tag me in it if you can remember?)

Like many, APEX/Fusion has saved my butt several times, and driven me to madness a few times too. I wish the APEX hardware quality matched the software capability and ease. I've lost an EB and now a very new DOS just quit.

I am a huge fan (generally) of German design and manufacturing. Software... less so. The big win (IMO) would GHL/Fusion. I'd pay triple for that.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, this is a bold move and pretty big news. I have enormous dependence on APEX and can hardly imagine switching so I will be on the lookout for the switchover thread. (Tag me in it if you can remember?)

Like many, APEX/Fusion has saved my butt several times, and driven me to madness a few times too. I wish the APEX hardware quality matched the software capability and ease. I've lost an EB and now a very new DOS just quit.

I am a huge fan (generally) of German design and manufacturing. Software... less so. The big win (IMO) would GHL/Fusion. I'd pay triple for that.

Good luck!
The GHL outdated looking interface is what was keeping me from switching initially, but my tank takes precedence over my want and like. I am sure GHL is working on a newer version of the interface as I feel that is the only thing Apex has over them. The German quality is second to none, as it has not been diluted. I have many reasons as to why I switched, but when it comes down to it, I need stability in my dream tank upgrade. I will tag you when I start the thread. I will be going off of @Ditto switch thread as it pretty much covers everything that is needed, but I will be asking him a ton of questions as he is far smarter than me at programming, LOL!!!

The Neptune Apex has saved my buttocks as well, BUT, I need to believe in the small things of the controller, aka sensors and such, thus the change.

Last edited:

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The German quality is second to none, as it has not been diluted.
If you peeked inside my garage, you would know how much I agree with this statement.

I also switched to the ATI Straton lights for the same reason. The design and manufacturing of those units is unparalleled IMO. The software is meh. The hanging kit meh. But the fixture is the bomb.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On this new tank, I have been struggling with the temp. It had me wondering it I will actually have to add a chiller to keep the temp where I wanted it. I want to keep the temp below 79 degree's if possible. I took a chance, as it has worked for me before on my previous tank, and ordered a 4 fan to blow air over the sump. I installed it and programmed the controller and thankfully it worked. The below graph will show what a fan bank on the sump can do.

Screenshot (71).png

After seeing that the fan can cool my tank enough, I will be ordering a GHL

PropellerControl-2.1 - Aquarium Fan Controller - GHL and a Propeller Breeze 5 fan assy​

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added the Achilles tang to my DT, and all it is doing is pacing the full 6ft tank, LOL!!! I guess going from a 20 gal tank to a 6ft 225 gal tank is a shock to say the least.

I put a piece of Nori at eye level to what it is swimming at to hopefully help it acclimate to the new tank.

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added the Achilles tang to my DT, and all it is doing is pacing the full 6ft tank, LOL!!! I guess going from a 20 gal tank to a 6ft 225 gal tank is a shock to say the least.

I put a piece of Nori at eye level to what it is swimming at to hopefully help it acclimate to the new tank.
Loving my Achilles. The black/orange contrast is just stunning, to a point pictures just can’t capture it

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really digging this AWC set up. I get to sit back and watch the water change as it happens, LOL!!! I set the Ecotech Versa's to change 8L a day. So roughly 2 gallons a day or 60 gals a month.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to put this out there. If for no other reason, just because they ordered it for me and I feel I need to point it out. I drove down to Orlando a week after attending Reefapolooza to pick my beautiful Achilles tang from @TopShelfAquatics. They ordered it for me, after I went to the store and seen that they had one that was ready for sale. I QT everything, and when I asked what they keep their levels at, it made it so easy for me. When I QT I keep my fish at 2.5 ppm in CP, and they also keep it at that level, so I only had to keep it in 2.5 ppm CP for another 11 days before transferring into a sterile tank to start the GC process. I just wanted to give a shoutout to TSA for being an awesome store. ;)

20210614_155157 (2).jpg

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to put this out there. If for no other reason, just because they ordered it for me and I feel I need to point it out. I drove down to Orlando a week after attending Reefapolooza to pick my beautiful Achilles tang from @TopShelfAquatics. They ordered it for me, after I went to the store and seen that they had one that was ready for sale. I QT everything, and when I asked what they keep their levels at, it made it so easy for me. When I QT I keep my fish at 2.5 ppm in CP, and they also keep it at that level, so I only had to keep it in 2.5 ppm CP for another 11 days before transferring into a sterile tank to start the GC process. I just wanted to give a shoutout to TSA for being an awesome store. ;)

20210614_155157 (2).jpg
Beautiful fish!

Back