Billldg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

I agree with you. Is HW pharmaceutical grade? That's what got me with TM. I have a medical background, so I know how difficult it can be to achieve "pharmaceutical grade". I wouldn't steer you wrong... maybe give TM a shot. It was so worth it in my opinion.
It’s not pharmaceutical, but it is synthetic. I will be switching to TM as @Bulk Reef Supply ticked me enough off. I am a man of principal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In reference to what. The salt or BRS? I have been looking to switch because BRS is the only vendor that carries HW Marine, and not having any options to get it when needed in and hurry has always concerned me. As far as BRS ticking me off...Well...it’s a long story that happened in the last few hours, but would be a long conversation.;):)

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A day after adding Chemiclean...nothing. The Cyano and Dinos looked worse than yesterday when I put in the Chemiclean. Usually Chemiclean works for me, so I can't say anything bad about them. I just spent a small fortune on a Pentair UV 40w sterilizer, plumbing, and flow pump.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently doing a 25 percent water change after Chemiclean use, and its funny. Talk about a hour glass...LOL!!! It takes forever to remove 50 gals of water.;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

anit77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently doing a 25 percent water change after Chemiclean use, and its funny. Talk about a hour glass...LOL!!! It takes forever to remove 50 gals of water.;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious
You should come over and check my setup out the next time you go to Nemo or Atlanta Aquarium. I use a pump to empty the sump to waste and a Panworld 250 to move the NSW back to the sump. 100+ Gallons refilled in a few minutes. :)

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should come over and check my setup out the next time you go to Nemo or Atlanta Aquarium. I use a pump to empty the sump to waste and a Panworld 250 to move the NSW back to the sump. 100+ Gallons refilled in a few minutes. :)
I use a Pan World 250 to fill the tank from downstairs, but just use a siphon tube and drain the water outside thru a window. Filling it up only took a few minutes, the draining part to forever though, LOL!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats up Billldg.. I just found your build thread on ARC and saw the start up again. Was wondering about the outbreak you have going on now. Do you still run that algae scrubber?
I never hooked it up yet because my N03 and P04 are at 0. I just ordered a UV Sterilizer and will hook it up next week. I am running another 3 day blackout to knock back the Dino’s before hooking up the UV Sterilizer.

anit77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Pan World 250 to fill the tank from downstairs, but just use a siphon tube and drain the water outside thru a window. Filling it up only took a few minutes, the draining part to forever though, LOL!!!
I've relegated a small jebao pump to the water change duties. I have some NSF rated RV hose and PVC hose thread adapter connected to the pump. Draining is still 2/3rds of the total change time.

I just got my DIY ATS back from Dmitri. He rode it hard and brought it back wet, lol. Integrating it into my system is proving to be a pita. I'm debating about rebuilding it.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi Bill, he you considered that shot glass of skimmate ?
not joking,i have done for years if bottomed out,down side ? not seen any to speak of,skimmer just takes back out.
but brings po4 & trates back up...;)

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should get my UV Sterilizer tomorrow, so hopefully I will hook it up tomorrow and start to get the tank in order. From there I will start to figure out how to get my N03 and P04 up. Right now I don’t have my skimmer running at all, it was because I dumped Chemiclean in the tank, but I just never turned it back on for a week now.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my Pentair UV Sterilizer today and opened up the box...it is almost comical how big it, LOL!!!

I will install it in a bit. I will just soft plumb it now. I may hard pipe it down the road.

Thankfully, when I decide to hard pipe the UV sterilizer, I will not have to cut up the plumbing of the tank. I will end up having to repipe all of my returns to get the flow I want with a Carbon Reactor and Algae Scrubber, and change out the Cor 20's for Ecotech L2's, but my flow rate for the UV sterilizer will be higher than I want for my returns. I will eventually hard pipe it on it's own so I can get the 4-5 turnover in the UV sterilizer. I want 4-5 turnover on my sump, BUT, I do it with 2 return pumps, thus it being cut in half. ;)

Last edited:

olemissdylan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on the mirror trick, but my tangs are model citizens after a week.
Mirror trick is seeming to do the trick! Purple tang is hyper fixated on his own reflection and has left my blue hippo alone! Was just wondering how long others had theirs up. Wife is already wanting her mirrors back

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mirror trick is seeming to do the trick! Purple tang is hyper fixated on his own reflection and has left my blue hippo alone! Was just wondering how long others had theirs up. Wife is already wanting her mirrors back
It is always better to add tangs in 3's. That way it is never one on one. I have 6 in my tank, 3 being Zebrasoma Genus tangs.

Also, have you tried to feed a little bit heavier, or add nori on a couple of clips? I currently feed 4 cubes of frozen at the same time daily and have 4 clips of 1/4 sheets of nori to also help disperse any aggression.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hooked up my Pentair UV sterilizer today. As of right now I am leak testing it. Not sure how long before I add the UV bulb, maybe 24 hours, maybe a couple. It is big though, so when buying a Pentair UV sterilizer 40w or greater, make sure you have the space. I just did a quick install, so I am not really worried about how it looks currently. Between the GHL conversion and this, my tank is looking a little rough on the outside, LOL!!!

20210802_190921.jpg

20210802_195823.jpg

I do have to admit though...Doesn't the new Pentair UV sterilizer look AWESOME in front of the new GHL cabinet. ;) :p :cool:

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using a Sicce 4.0 for the supply on the Pentair UV 40w sterilizer. I am not sure if it will be enough for what I want. The rating is 950 gph, which is what I need for what I want the UV sterilizer to do. I plan on buying a Ecotech L2 shortly, and thus, I will use the Cor 20 to supply in down the road. I will upsize the return plumbing to 1.25 and install a Ecotech L2. It will not be a fair comparison between a Cor 20 with 1 in returns and a Ecotech L2 with 1.25 returns, but I personally will be able to judge and based on that, may buy a 2nd Ecotech L2.

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like between your GHL conversion thread and this one, you have something against BRS. I’d like to hear it. I have my own complaints but I’d like to hear yours.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%
Back