OP
Billldg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like between your GHL conversion thread and this one, you have something against BRS. I’d like to hear it. I have my own complaints but I’d like to hear yours.
Sorry, but not understanding what you are asking. I have no issue against BRS or Neptune. My GHL conversion was a honest opinion from a honest reefer of the difference between the two. I have bought 90 percent of my stuff from BRS and have a full Apex system. I am simply doing what most people are aren't capable of...or willing to spend and do a full conversion comparison...to help reefers who are looking to buy a controller.

The Conversion thread was started before the BRS and Neptune merger. ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not seen any leaks yet on the Pentair UV sterilizer. I have not removed the paper towels yet to confirm, but I am about to install the bulb...AND HOPEFULLY...begin my SPS dominant tank journey. :p :eek: :p :eek: :cool:

Last edited:

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not seen any leaks yet on the Pentair UV sterilizer. I have not removed the paper towels yet to confirm, but I am about to install the bulb...AND HOPEFULLY...begin my SPS dominant tank journey. :p :eek: :p :eek: :cool:
Excited Ric Flair GIF

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running the Pentair UV sterilizer for 24 hours with no leaks detected, so I guess it is good. Now to let it do its job. I may not have enough turnover to kill Dinos and Cyano, but, we will see. I am using a Sicce 4.0, which is the absolute best AC pump out their, meaning the Sicce Ac pump line. It is rated for 945 gph or so, but with some head loss, it may not be enough. I need 943 gph to do what I want at the recommended level, thus the possibility to use another pump. I just didn't want to spend a small fortune on another pump when I am about to replace my Cor 20's with Ecotech L2's, thus allowing me to use the Cor 20 on the UV sterilizer.

A UV sterilizer will raise your tank temp, so be prepared for that.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As BRS said, fighting dinos is a slow process, and will take some time. I am using a UV sterilizer and will also use Vibrant. Just because you add a UV sterilizer or dose Vibrant doesn't mean it will cure your tank is a few days. It will take weeks, OR, even months to win the battle, but, it can be won. I am saying this to those that may have dino problems and feel it is hopeless. You have to remember, this is my personal dream tank, and I will not let the dinos win. I will have my dream SPS tank...AND SO CAN YOU!!!

I does sound a little corny, but, its the truth. Don't ever give up. ;) :)

Below is a BRS video that is helpful:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just turned on my skimmer again. This time I pulled the plug and will let anything skimmed dump back into the tank. I just want to make sure I have as much oxygen going into the tank as possible. Whe I was installing my UV sterilizer yesterday I noticed a white patch on my left MP40 pump head. I actually though it was just a big patch of dead algae, but, when I pulled it out I quickly found out it was my Yellow Flanked Fairy wrasse.:(:(:(

It was SUCH a beautiful fish, but, I have no clue as to why it died.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When fighting Dino's, I am using some of the methods that BRS used when they fought them. I installed a UV sterilizer, I am dosing Vibrant...against my LPS's better judgement...blowing off the rocks, and changing out the socks daily. I will likely have to buy another 21 socks so I am not having to wash socks out every 6 days, but it is worth it for my tank.

ANDDDD...when I went to order more of them from @Bulk Reef Supply , they didn't have them...UGH!!!

Last edited:

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When fighting Dino's, I am using some of the methods that BRS used when they fought them. I installed a UV sterilizer, I am dosing Vibrant...against my LPS's better judgement...blowing off the rocks, and changing out the socks daily. I will likely have to buy another 21 socks so I am not having to wash socks out every 6 days, but it is worth it for my tank.

ANDDDD...when I went to order more of them from @Bulk Reef Supply , they didn't have them...UGH!!!
Sorry if I asked this already but I have the memory of a goldfish (juvenile) these days: what species of dino do you have again? Sadly, I have some experience here.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just turned on my skimmer again. This time I pulled the plug and will let anything skimmed dump back into the tank. I just want to make sure I have as much oxygen going into the tank as possible. Whe I was installing my UV sterilizer yesterday I noticed a white patch on my left MP40 pump head. I actually though it was just a big patch of dead algae, but, when I pulled it out I quickly found out it was my Yellow Flanked Fairy wrasse.:(:(:(

It was SUCH a beautiful fish, but, I have no clue as to why it died.
I’m so sorry for your loss. :(

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I come home today and my tank has bubbles in the water. IT usually means that my return pump section is low on water. I check it and it is low, so I add 3 or so gals to the tank to bring the level back up. I check my Neptune ATK and it is calling for the pump to add water, but the pump isn't running. I unplugged the plug from the FMM module and checked the outlet and I am getting 24vdc, so the pump took a dump on me...UGH!!!I can pick up another one tomorrow, but the only place I know that has one is on the other side of town from where I will be working tomorrow. I may just order one.

Last edited:

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I come home today and my tank has bubbles in the water. IT usually means that my return pump section is low on water. I check it and it is low, so I add 3 or so gals to the tank to bring the level back up. I check my Neptune ATK and it is calling for the pump to add water, but the pump isn't running. I unplugged the plug from the FMM module and checked the outlet and I am getting 24vdc, so the pump took a dump on me...UGH!!!I can pick up another one tomorrow, but the only place I know that has one is on the other side of town from where I will be working tomorrow. I may just order one.
Was it the PMUP that went out? I'm actually about to sell a DOS that I got for Christmas in hopes that I would pick up the controller in its entirety. I'm starting to be glad I didn't... it seems like Neptune reviews keep getting worse.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it the PMUP that went out? I'm actually about to sell a DOS that I got for Christmas in hopes that I would pick up the controller in its entirety. I'm starting to be glad I didn't... it seems like Neptune reviews keep getting worse.
It was the PMuP v2 pump. Neptune is still a great controller, this is the first Apex item I had that actually failed on me.:)

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put together my flow meter setup for my UV sterilizer. I will install it in a few. The one thing I didn't like about the GHL flow meters were the union size for the 2377 flow meter. The union is 3/4 slip. I currently have 1 in returns and will upsize it to 1.25". That big of a downsize will create a restriction. I have to go back in my own thread, but I believe someone 3D printed some new unions or something. I will have to look into that. I do hope GHL will come out with a flow meter that has at least a 1" inside diameter to help with flow. The Apex flow meters I currently have installed on my returns have a 1" slip union, which made the install easy. Unfortunately their next size is a 2", so a big jump.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen my Blue/Green Chromis spawn before, but never seen anything come from it. Today, when looking at my tank I saw a spot, roughly 4" diameter with little white things on it. I am guessing this is actually a clutch of eggs. I will take photos later. I know they will most likely not survive, but, it is still cool to see.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I just need all several thousand eggs to hatch and grow up. I could sell them as Ick and Velvet free Blue/Green Chromis. Maybe it would help me fund the new tank and controller conversion...LOL!!! ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious

Not likely.

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As BRS said, fighting dinos is a slow process, and will take some time. I am using a UV sterilizer and will also use Vibrant. Just because you add a UV sterilizer or dose Vibrant doesn't mean it will cure your tank is a few days. It will take weeks, OR, even months to win the battle, but, it can be won. I am saying this to those that may have dino problems and feel it is hopeless. You have to remember, this is my personal dream tank, and I will not let the dinos win. I will have my dream SPS tank...AND SO CAN YOU!!!

I does sound a little corny, but, its the truth. Don't ever give up. ;) :)

Below is a BRS video that is helpful:

There are different types of Dinos. Did you id which ones you have? UV does not work on all types. Also, be careful of Vibrant as it might add a further imbalance. Dinos i had in the past came after a Vibrant treatment. Not saying it was the cause, but it might have contributed.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are different types of Dinos. Did you id which ones you have? UV does not work on all types. Also, be careful of Vibrant as it might add a further imbalance. Dinos i had in the past came after a Vibrant treatment. Not saying it was the cause, but it might have contributed.
I have not verified which species I have. UV works on all species, just some better than others. I am also cleaning the rocks and sand, dosing Vibrant, adding Phytoplankton, changing socks every day, and doing my best to raise N03 and P04. I do think that dosing TM part C may be contributing to it. I need to ask BRS the question.

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not verified which species I have. UV works on all species, just some better than others. I am also cleaning the rocks and sand, dosing Vibrant, adding Phytoplankton, changing socks every day, and doing my best to raise N03 and P04. I do think that dosing TM part C may be contributing to it. I need to ask BRS the question.
I had ostreopsis verified by a cheep amazon microscope. The UV did not make a dent as they do not enter the water column at night. They were a pain. I tried everything and eventually gave up… then they subsided LOL. If you have the kind that enters the water column, you should have better success.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 117 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back