Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in the process of cycling my marco rock this same way. Will be throwing some 10 year old liverock in along with a bunch of critters to seed even more.
In preparation for the new tank.

20200612_212242.jpg

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to the 4th of July sales going on, I ended up buying 170 pounds of Marco Shelf rock, BRS heaters, Bashsea Signature series SS-48 sump in Blue and Black and a Bashsea ATO 10 gal container, also in Blue and Black. Though I still don't plan on switching out tanks until the fall or winter, new tank is going in the same spot as my current 120 gal tank, I do want to get all the plumbing done so that way the tank is capable of running.

I also plan on going with a Octo Lids cover, but I have to wait to get the tank to take down and give the measurements to @cromag27. His tops are some of the nicest out there, and I will need one to keep my wrasses from jumping out.

Last edited:

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the CDA, I bought the same size tank from them, mine is Euro Braced, and I purchased a Fiji sump or it. I am looking forward to following your build thread, you have a nice choice is equipment.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck and sounds like you are off to a good start. Question on the dry rock. Are you going to start the cycle and maturing now, in parallel while tank is made, etc?

Only reason why I'm asking is because just having gone through this using 150 or so pounds of dry pukani it takes a while to mature. I'm two years in and only now believe it is 80% or so there. I can still pick up a rock, turn it 90 degrees, and see rock face as if it was newly put in. I'll never go dry again.
What about taking some dry Pukani and putting it in a lobster cage and stick that in the ocean for a couple of months, would that work? I guess you have to live by the sea to do that.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, 170 lbs of Marco Shelf rock showed up today along with some heaters for the new tank. I also ordered 2 more boxes of HW Marine Reefer salt. I can only imagine what the UPS guy was saying as he dropped it off at my door step. He will be back tomorrow dropping of my Bashea sumo, ATO container, and reactor, LOL!!!;Hilarious

F1539A59-A6C4-4F12-BC5A-C74D9011F31D.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
you should put a tiny christmas tree hanging above doorway..because that's how your going to feel ,one box after another..lol..plus really get ups guy thinking ,what the.. :p

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bro you're really doing it up!! Can't wait to see more!

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bro you're really doing it up!! Can't wait to see more!
Thanks, its gonna be a slow process because of the current situation. Now I am in a position of hurrying up and waiting, LOL!!!

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started to unbox the Marco Shelf rock I bought from @Bulk Reef Supply , and I must say that I am impressed with the lack of broken rock. I had some rubble at the bottom of each bag, but for the most part nothing was broken. This is only half of my order of Marco Shelf rock.

29EBD502-1BE2-437B-B47B-0BC05B73BFBD.jpeg
06CCE1E0-B43A-4092-81A2-EBA3D00EC47A.jpeg

I may start to mess around with some aquascaping ideas this weekend, but I am in no rush as I want to make sure I don;t look back and say I wish I did this differently on the aquascape.

Last edited:

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may start to mess around with some aquascaping ideas this weekend, but I am in no rush as I want to make sure I don;t look back and say I wish I did this differently on the aquascape.
I just got all of my rock as well and am in no hurry either. Something you just have to get right.

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my Bashsea sump, ATO container, and reactor in along with 170 pounds of Marco Shelf rock.

8D20F5F8-A12D-4F7D-B9E5-2AC5BE77F693.jpeg
B4E1C778-D942-418C-BA1A-EB5FE77C1381.jpeg
306B579B-7DDF-4636-AA31-DE2AB4611912.jpeg
Wow, I really like the black...would have been a great contrast with my white theme! I’ll keep that In mind for the next tank... :)

Can’t wait till the tank shows up!

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having to wait on this tank is going to cost me even more. The longer I wait the more things i think of doing, LOL!!! ;Hilarious

Now I am in the process of starting a build on my salt water mixing station.;Jawdrop;Greedy

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was pricing water tanks for my mixing station today. I would have settled on 2 75 gal tanks at a price of $142 each, but they would have to be shipped in which would double the price to $290 each. They do have the 100 gal tanks in stock, luckily, as they normally do not, for $187 each. Kinda a no brainer. So I will pick up 2 100 gal tanks, hopefully on Wed. I have made a change to the return pump I will use on my DT. I will go with 2 Ecotech M2's. I will cut out the section of the sump that holds the filters so I can fit 2 pumps in it. I will use my Cor20 that I currently have to mix the mixing station, and I will partially automate it, meaning I will hook it up to my Apex so I can turn it on and off at will during water changes.

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. I have a build with a tank of the same exact dimensions that's in a similar stage, so hopefully we can learn from each other (hit the build thread button on my profile). The tank will probably be delivered this week (woo hoo!) but unfortunately the fish room is not ready. I am looking for a new contractor who can install a floor drain and do all the new demo, drywall, and electrical work for the in-wall installation.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. I have a build with a tank of the same exact dimensions that's in a similar stage, so hopefully we can learn from each other (hit the build thread button on my profile). The tank will probably be delivered this week (woo hoo!) but unfortunately the fish room is not ready. I am looking for a new contractor who can install a floor drain and do all the new demo, drywall, and electrical work for the in-wall installation.
I still have a long time until my tank is delivered, UGH, but until them I am getting everything together. I will build a new support for the floor this weekend, along with the stand for the mixing station.

I see you are a triathlete, I was also, until I burnt myself out a few years ago, lol!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back