OP
Billldg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a great picture, but it is a picture. 4 month old tank, still a baby, take 3, lol!!!

! 20181013_181059.jpg

Dmsick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a great picture, but it is a picture. 4 month old tank, still a baby, take 3, lol!!!

! 20181013_181059.jpg
Your tank looks great. You already have coralline growing! Did you start with all live rock? I started with one piece of live rock and the rest dry rock. So, I have nothing resembling coralline algae yet.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks great. You already have coralline growing! Did you start with all live rock? I started with one piece of live rock and the rest dry rock. So, I have nothing resembling coralline algae yet.
Thanks, I didn't use any live rock. I used carib sea rock and carib sea live sand. The coraline came from frags and I dose kalk which is said to promote the growth of coraline.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 5 fish to the DT yesterday, it feels good to actually see some movement in the tank other than corals, LOL!!! I now have a total of 6 fish in the tank, 1 purple tang, 1 oynx clown fish, and 4 blue/green chromis. I just got my Aquatic life fixture in today along with the bulbs, I will be installing a t5/led fixture this weekend to include a 36 in Aquatic Life fixture with 2 blues plus, 1 coral plus, and 1 purple plus bulbs along with 2 Ecotech XR15 G4 pros. I will take pictures this weekend of the fish and installing the light fixture. Starting to get real, LOL!!!

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I started to build my t5/led hybrid fixture. This may be a little picture heavy as a lot of people r curious as to using a single plug on a Aquatic Life fixture.
20181109_172339.jpg
My t5./led selection.

As most people know the Aquatic Life fixture has 2 plugs which is a pain, so I rewired it to use only one plug.

20181109_173908.jpg

First thing you do is remove screws and remove side panels. You will have to cut plug off of one fixture, but don't cut the wire short as you will need it later. Once the side panels removed you slide the cover with the ballast in it off to gain access to wiring. The reason why you only cut the plug and not the chord is so you can run the wire in front of ballast, behind reflectors and let it come out the other side as in the next 2 pictures.

20181109_173927.jpg 20181109_173931.jpg

Now you can slide cover back and screw it back into place. This is where you will drill a couple of holes and ran that wire from 1 fixture the other. I used rubber grommets to fill the holes and not allow the wire to rub on metal.

20181109_175712.jpg

The next picture kinda shows how its run from one to the other, just line up the holes.

20181109_175721.jpg

Then, all that is needed is to wire it all together. I did replace extension cord and plug, ended up upgrading to a 16/3 wire.

20181110_102053.jpg

20181110_103933.jpg

And this is the finished light fixture

20181110_114013.jpg

I would like to have installed it today, but when I turned it on I found 2 problems. First was the fact that Ecotech still hasn't fixed the timing problem, therefore my clocks on the fixtures are 5 hours and 25 minutes off. I will have to deal with their customer service dept, OH FUN!!! Second, one of the bulbs I ordered is bad and the ballast will not fire off if one of two bulbs is bad. I will be installed by next weekend hopefully.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 5 fish to the DT yesterday, it feels good to actually see some movement in the tank other than corals, LOL!!! I now have a total of 6 fish in the tank, 1 purple tang, 1 oynx clown fish, and 4 blue/green chromis. I just got my Aquatic life fixture in today along with the bulbs, I will be installing a t5/led fixture this weekend to include a 36 in Aquatic Life fixture with 2 blues plus, 1 coral plus, and 1 purple plus bulbs along with 2 Ecotech XR15 G4 pros. I will take pictures this weekend of the fish and installing the light fixture. Starting to get real, LOL!!!

I have fallen in love with Purple Tangs! Just need a bigger tank (we always do ;))

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have fallen in love with Purple Tangs! Just need a bigger tank (we always do ;))

Its funny, I don't think it knows what to do with all that space. Eventually it will have some company in the form of 2 more tangs, but for now its the boss of 5 other fish. It most definitely is a beautiful fish.

20181110_155234.jpg

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome! I'm building a 120G with very similar gear. Question: why 36" instead of the 48" hybrid fixture?
Thank you. I went with a 36 in fixture for several reason. First was that I have a canopy and I would have had to shoehorn a 48 fixture in the canopy, another reason was safety, I didn't want anything elec touching the canopy which is wood in a saltwater environment, plus I am in the process of changing the tank to a mixed reef and with that setup I went from a lower par setup to a very high par setup, and learned very quickly that I need a par meter as I started to bleach my corals quickly. I wanted lower par on the sides for my LPS.

Unthinkable

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I went with a 36 in fixture for several reason. First was that I have a canopy and I would have had to shoehorn a 48 fixture in the canopy, another reason was safety, I didn't want anything elec touching the canopy which is wood in a saltwater environment, plus I am in the process of changing the tank to a mixed reef and with that setup I went from a lower par setup to a very high par setup, and learned very quickly that I need a par meter as I started to bleach my corals quickly. I wanted lower par on the sides for my LPS.

Ah! I didn't think about fitting the 48" version inside a canopy. I can't wait to see the result!

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah! I didn't think about fitting the 48" version inside a canopy. I can't wait to see the result!
Their will probably be a big update on the build this weekend, installing an Apex with DOS, t5/led is already installed, but as a result I am dealing with other major issues now due to my very low nutrient/phosphate levels, high par and low levels equals big problems.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

! 20181013_181059.jpg
That’s a great looking tank and I really like the aquascaping, very nice indeed!

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a great looking tank and I really like the aquascaping, very nice indeed!
Thanks, but now that I installed the t5/led hybrid I created a bigger issue, think I have dinos now. Been struggling with 0 phosphates, tested this past weekend and found that by nitrates are also at 0, high par was all it needed to explode.

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your at zero nutrient levels your risking all sorts of potential issues and it’s relatively easy to increase them, just add more fish and feed them. Then you will be in the constant cycle of trying to keep them down like me! Lol

Maybe post some pictures of the dino’s if you think you have them so we can have a look?

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your at zero nutrient levels your risking all sorts of potential issues and it’s relatively easy to increase them, just add more fish and feed them. Then you will be in the constant cycle of trying to keep them down like me! Lol

Maybe post some pictures of the dino’s if you think you have them so we can have a look?
I will when I get home, been trying to get my phosphates up for the past month, according to my Hanna phosphate checker even when I dose it stays at 0, that's when I checked my nitrates and found them at 0 also, I currently have 6 fish, including a purple tang, so I have some load, started overfeeding the tank to get it a little dirty and hopefully help some other algae grow. I have been dosing neophos at a high rate with no success, I just got some neonitro to help raise my nitrates further if needed.

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will when I get home, been trying to get my phosphates up for the past month, according to my Hanna phosphate checker even when I dose it stays at 0, that's when I checked my nitrates and found them at 0 also, I currently have 6 fish, including a purple tang, so I have some load, started overfeeding the tank to get it a little dirty and hopefully help some other algae grow. I have been dosing neophos at a high rate with no success, I just got some neonitro to help raise my nitrates further if needed.
Just remember the Hanna ULR checker has a margin of error of +/- 0.04ppm and myself I am more than happy if it reads 0 because I know it won’t be 0 as I have lots of fish and waste. It means it’s well under control

Just add a few more fish and then you’ll be asking ‘how do I get my nitrates down’! Lol

Last edited:

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. Hopefully the tang doesn't get territorial with new additions.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. Hopefully the tang doesn't get territorial with new additions.
Odds r it will, but if necessary, I will remove it for a week or so and then put it back in. I have 2 more tangs in QT right now.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This weekend I started to build and install my Apex and reefing command center. I purchase a small book case with glass doors and will convert it to in close my tank electronics/Apex. So far I put together the book case, planned where I want to put the electronics and drilled holes in the back wall to route the cords and fasten them. I also installed the Apex DOS unit and will hook it up also this weekend.

20181206_200456.jpg 20181201_172829.jpg 20181208_093116.jpg

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't get as far as I hoped due to having fun trying to get the Apex on my network with an Android, but eventually I was able to, tomorrow I will hook up the DOS and WXM module, then the fun begins with programming. Haven't tied all the wires back yet inside the case, but this is how it will look. I am pleased how it turned out, a lot cleaner than before.

20181208_191447.jpg 20181208_190827.jpg

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back