Bills Reborn 120 gal Mixed Reef Tank

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted a saltwater tank for ever, eventually I was in a position to make it happen. So I started like everyone else and did a ton of research trying to gain as much knowledge as possible going into it. At first I settled on a 90 gal tank, but the more I researched the more I wanted a bigger tank within reason. I settled on a 120 gal tank because I felt I would enjoy the size more due to it being easier to aquascape it and get the picture I wanted. So when tax returns came in I made the plunge and purchased the tank and stand. I settled on a room that I have been wanting to furnish and where I would enjoy the tank, I also had to settle on a place that would handle the weight load since their is a basement below.
20180315_150800.jpg

The wall you see is on a poured concrete foundation wall and will easily handle the load, though I may put a support wall underneath it for piece of mind. The tank and stand will go between the 2 outlets at the comm port so in the future I can hook up a controller with a LAN line, probably a Apex Neptune controller.

20180408_173459.jpg

I started making one of many purchases from Bulk Reef Supply, tank came with 1 in drains and 3/4 supply overflows, also came with barbed bulkheads and I wanted to hard pipe the plumbing, so I purchases 4 1 in bulkheads from BRS and when I received them I installed them and started the plumbing. Trying to figure out how to run the plumbing and have it look neat was at first challenging. After a few minutes it started to flow and I was able to plumb the pvc in a clean manner and was able to run it so it wouldn't get in the way of cleaning socks and skimmer.

20180501_230943.jpg

I purchased a Trigger systems Sapphire 34 Sump as it stays with the clean style I'm going for, and the fact that it looks awesome helps. I also purchased a matching 10 gal ATO Triggers systems Sapphire tank to match. I'm trying to make this as low maintenance as possible. I also purchased a Vertex Omega 180i skimmer and a Sicce 5.0 silent pump to be installed at a later date. I was going to buy a Ecotech Vertex pump, but then realized Apex has a return pump and figured I would buy it instead. I'm not able to buy the Neptune controller right now due to expenses, so I purchased the Sicce pump and will use it as a backup when I purchase the Apex controller and return pump. As it seems the buying never stops, I bought lighting for my tank. This turned into a bit of a dilemma as I started out wanting a fish only tank. As I researched that turned from a fish only tank to a softy reef tank to now what will ultimately be a LPS reef tank. I settled on buying the Maxspect Razer R5 200 watt fixture. I mounted it under a canopy with the suspension kit.

20180526_190919.jpg

I just made another purchase from BRS. I have my final plumbing parts coming which will allow me to hook up my return pump. I purchased a 1 in hose adaptor that will allow me to connect a piece of hose to the pump. Due to vibration that happens with any pump, no matter how good, I wanted the soft hose to dampen the vibration on the pvc plumbing. I also have CaribSea Special grade sand coming. I ordered 80 lbs so I could get al least a 1 in sand bottom. I already have the rock and when my order arrives I will be able to start to cycle the tank. I ordered CaribSea life rock at an earlier date and started to aquascape it outside the tank, that turned into a pain at first. Nothing seemed to come out the way I pictured it, but once I started to work on it the rock started to flow and I was able to get what I wanted as far as aquascaping go's. I have made a few adjustments to it since the pictures but am satisfied with what I got. The CaribSea rock fit together rather easily I felt.
20180429_194155.jpg

I added another piece of rock to the left side of the left stack of rock, I didn't like the way it sloped up of the left. I have more supplies that I have not included yet as I will when I install them. The tank will be up and running within the next couple of months. I will post more when I get sand and rock in tank and start to cycle it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20180601_185954.jpg

Today I built a support wall in the basement. Even though the floor joist can handle the load the extra support puts me at ease. I used 2x6 lumber and support the floor joist with the wall. The tank will be against the wall supported by the poured concrete foundation wall. I pulled the new support wall of the concrete wall to support the front of the tank. My sand and another 40 lb box of HW Marine Reefer salt arrived today, so if everything go's to plan the tank will be wet tomorrow

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished putting in therock and sand, thankfully, lol!!! FINALLY the tank is getting wet, put in 20 gals I had already made, now to make a lot more ro/di water.

20180602_123446.jpg

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got roughly 150 gals of saltwater made and put it in the tank. Then I turned on return pump and had to top off tank to balance out the level of water. I also installed a board on the back of the underside of the stand so I could run the elec wires and strap them to the board to keep it neat. I haven't installed the straps yet because I'm keeping all my elec outside on a board. That will come at a later date. I also installed two 200 watt heaters in sump to heat the tank. Eventually I will run the heaters off of a Apex controller, but until them I will rely on the t-stats on the heaters.
20180603_194256.jpg

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wet and wild man.isn't it a great feeling of relief when you turn on the pumps and things work.also a big plus when the all the water remains in the tank.following your adventure.
I would say you have no idea but I guess you do, LOL! It is a great feeling when you turn it on and it runs and doesn't leak, now trying to get a balance on the flow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I received several more packages related to this hobby, r u starting to see a pattern here, lol! I know my delivery drivers r. Today my BRS package arrived which included my Tunze Osmalator 3155 ATO kit. I installed it onto my tank and it really only took 45 minutes at max. It was very easy. I already had the ATO tank from Trigger Systems, so all I had to do was install the Tunze system. I ran all tubing and elec for the system thru the board I had previously installed to route the wiring and tubing on the back of stand.

20180607_161223.jpg

The I mounted the water level sensor and overflow switch in the return section of the sump. I will have to tinker with the level sensor to get the water level to stay were I want it, but I expected this. I will probably have to weigh the ATO pump down because it is very light and the tubing memory isn't allowing the pump to stay flush to the floor of the ATO tank.

20180607_161241.jpg

20180607_161147.jpg

When I 'm done I will zip tie the wires that I have run thru the back board, but because I will likely move wires around I will wait. Thankfully I have made a lot of extra RO/DI water because I have found out that when you think you have enough you will likely need 30 percent more. Tank is cycling and 1st ammonia test were at 0 ppm. It's slowly coming together and Saturday will pick up my first pair of fish and start putting them thru QT. I spent to much time and effort on this tank for it to crash due to me being impatient. I can wait another 5 or so weeks and QT my fish.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am officially a fish owner, LOL!!! Saturday I bought my 1st to fish, 2 oynx clownfish. I brought them home and drip acclimated them. I released them into the QT tank and they started to eat right away. Today, after 2 days of easting I started the long road of medicating them. Starting off with 2 weeks of Proxi Pro and then 4 weeks of copper treatment. So hopefully that all goes well and I can introduce my 1st 2 fish to their permanent home. It was funny to watch the 2 clowns as it took all but about 5 minutes for me to know which one is going to be the female. The fish to the left will be the female.
I also took apart my Vertex 180 skimmer and cleaned it today, getting it ready for when its needed.

20180610_100124.jpg

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, had a little setback yesterday, half my coral frags in my QT tank died and the others suffered. I received some frags from a dealer in Calif and noticed one of them never really opened up, maybe due to stress. Then I noticed my torch frags starting to close up, which up till this has been completely out. I checked parameters and did a 40 percent water change just in case. Then 2 days later half my frags were dead. Had to move the other frags to my main tank which is still cycling, though it is far enough along to handle the frags, to try and keep them alive. The other frags seem to be doing better, starting to open back up and feed. Only time will tell. Don't know if I will ever QT coral again as things can go wrong very quickly.

fishplace817

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brother maybe you going to fast..., you should let your tank cycle and do water check before buying those frag. Try some easier like a frogspawn or chalice

Harrison Gordon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I waited about a month to put my first corals in; I did a 10 day cycle using Dr Tims, which worked well for me, but still waited for stuff to balance out.

Also, thought id mention you have inspired me to create my own build thread so thanks for that!

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I waited about a month to put my first corals in; I did a 10 day cycle using Dr Tims, which worked well for me, but still waited for stuff to balance out.

Also, thought id mention you have inspired me to create my own build thread so thanks for that!
My main tank was roughly 2 weeks into cycling when my QT has issues, so I was forced to put the corals in my main tank, thankfully it was far enough along cycling to handle the frags. Glad it inspired you to start your build thread, look forward to seeing it. Good luck

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back