Bills Reborn 120 gal Mixed Reef Tank

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Trident is on my list but I'm still taking baby steps and trying to let my wallet recoup a little from my apex and dos purchase. Are you still liking it? If you had to purchase again would you?

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Trident is on my list but I'm still taking baby steps and trying to let my wallet recoup a little from my apex and dos purchase. Are you still liking it? If you had to purchase again would you?
I love it, the only draw back I have seen so far is it makes you lazy, lol!!!

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed a Cor-20 pump this weekend, had to replumb my return. I also replaced my Vertex Omega 180i skimmer with a Reef Octopus Regal 150sss and replaced my last IM DC pump with a Gyre 350. Been a busy weekend, fish room is still a mess, lol! A little ticked that my Maxspect ICV6 module will not work with my new network, 2.4 ghx vs 5 ghz, so I had to program the Gyre manually, but man that sucker moves some water. I had to program my Cor-20 after I hooked it up to my Apex, but it was very easy with the task setup. I am most surprised by the new skimmer, within a day it was producing a descent skimmate with little adjustment. The plus to all of these new items is how quiet everything is, the DC pumps on the the return pump and skimmer are unreal. I would take pictures, but the room is still a mess, lol.

Twitchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An Interesting read, going to follow along. It looks like you have had an interesting battle with calcium precipitation... what do you keep your magnesium at? I didn't see much info on your Mag dosing routine. keeping your magnesium high will help keep calcium precipitation at bay, especially when raising your PH.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An Interesting read, going to follow along. It looks like you have had an interesting battle with calcium precipitation... what do you keep your magnesium at? I didn't see much info on your Mag dosing routine. keeping your magnesium high will help keep calcium precipitation at bay, especially when raising your PH.
I was keeping it at 1380 at the beginning, now I keep it at 1480. Their are no bad side effects to keeping it a little higher.

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a beautiful build! I love seeing the progression of the tank from the beginning! You have done a great job! Keep up the great work and will love to see future photos!

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a beautiful build! I love seeing the progression of the tank from the beginning! You have done a great job! Keep up the great work and will love to see future photos!
Thank you

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is looking great, finally got some age on the tank and the SPS are showing it, as the colors are finally starting to look like they should and the growth is coming along also. I got tired of dealing with GHA when I tried to have a refugium, so I did away with the refugium when I cleaned out the sump. I just order a Sulfur Denitrator as my nitrates are always around 20 ppm, I would like to get them down below 10 ppm. My P04 is at .07 and its steady, its not low, but its not high either.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed my Sulfur Reactor today. It was a simple install. I just tied into my Sicce 1.5 that is running my carbon reactor so now it runs both. I rinsed off the media and installed it into the reactor, then I hooked everything up. Now hopefully it will control my N03. My sulfur reactor is from Aquamaxx/Marine Depot.

2DB99FED-6A13-47B6-99A3-6F0056EEF850.jpeg

The bucket is there to let the unit run for a little before I let it empty out into my sump and it also allows me to measure the amount coming out easily. The towel is there covering my Trident in case I have a leak, already had one installing it, LOL!!!

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up taking out the sulfur denitrator, it started dumping nitrites into my tank, I had it at 4 drips a second and the caused a nitrite spike killing a few of my corals and hurting a few others. Now I am in recovery mode. I did several large water changes and dosed nopox for a little while. Now I need to sit and wait to see if the hurt corals recover.

I will install a Alga Scrubber down the road to remove N03 and P04 naturally.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics of the tank?
No new pics, I haven’t taken any because of what the sulfur dentrator did to several of my corals. Waiting for the tank to fully recover.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
wow ,what a ride ,learning experience,..off to the new build ;)

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow ,what a ride ,learning experience,..off to the new build ;)
I have learned a ton from my current tank, but 2 things stand out above everything else that I will do on my new build.

1st. Have patience and let the tank actually mature and not force it.

2nd. Use live rock to at least seed the tank. I have seen way to many Dino issues in others tanks and mine, they all have on thing in common. We all used dry rock.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have learned a ton from my current tank, but 2 things stand out above everything else that I will do on my new build.

1st. Have patience and let the tank actually mature and not force it.

2nd. Use live rock to at least seed the tank. I have seen way to many Dino issues in others tanks and mine, they all have on thing in common. We all used dry rock.
i so agree,you could not pay me enough to even consider "dry rock" ..old school..live rock ,skimmer... ;)

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, today I had to pull out and throw away my JF Homewrecker and LRO Heartthrob. After the Nitrite spike due to the sulfur reactor I installed fiasco, I lost several corals, and had several more that a hit. The Homewrecker and Heartthrob never really recovered and were slowly dying. I yanked them out and put in there place a BC Rainbow Brite and a BC Frankenberry.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some reefers may look at this thread and say, man, he has had alot of issues. He has lost a bunch of money. I personally, don't see it that way.:)

Their is no such thing as a failure. You simple learn what not to do. It is always a learning experience. We all excepted the challenge of trying to keep, arguable, the hardest pet in existence ever. We are trying to keep a coral reef in our house, and the last time I check, we don't live in a ocean, lol! No one knows it all, we are always learning. I have learned so much with my current tank. I plan on passing on what I learned to my next tank, or as I have it labeled, my upgrade.

If I am to pass on some knowledge to the new reefer, or the next generation, it is that their is no shortcut to success. We all have failed, or will fail at some point, in our reefing endeavor. I hate to say it like this as their is only one, but, we are trying to play God, we are trying to keep what God perfectly created in our homes. Failures will happen and we have to except that.

Do not, and I repeat, do not let it get you down. That is what we, the members, reef squad, and mods are here for. We are here to help you get thru the tough times. :)

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some reefers may look at this thread and say, man, he has had alot of issues. He has lost a bunch of money. I personally, don't see it that way.:)

Their is no such thing as a failure. You simple learn what not to do. It is always a learning experience. We all excepted the challenge of trying to keep, arguable, the hardest pet in existence ever. We are trying to keep a coral reef in our house, and the last time I check, we don't live in a ocean, lol! No one knows it all, we are always learning. I have learned so much with my current tank. I plan on passing on what I learned to my next tank, or as I have it labeled, my upgrade.

If I am to pass on some knowledge to the new reefer, or the next generation, it is that their is no shortcut to success. We all have failed, or will fail at some point, in our reefing endeavor. I hate to say it like this as their is only one, but, we are trying to play God, we are trying to keep what God perfectly created in our homes. Failures will happen and we have to except that.

Do not, and I repeat, do not let it get you down. That is what we, the members, reef squad, and mods are here for. We are here to help you get thru the tough times. :)
Hey hang in there. I can't count the number of things I've done wrong or messed up over the years. As you say, just learning each time. If there were no challenges I suspect it would be boring in the end... :)

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fun day of maintenance, doing my normal tank cleaning and also cleaning my wet sides on my MP pumps.

E53AFDF6-33F6-48C9-9BB2-52704BB2BBC8.jpeg

I will not have many more posts on this thread as I am about to tear this tank down to make room for my upgrade.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 57 79.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back