Bio balls

leen.tu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I have bio balls media that was given to me i asked my friend to pick it up because it was a 2 hour drive and he did i did tell him to keep them in water and the guy gave him leaking ziploc so the water drained and he added tap water before asking me

Did all the bacteria die? He put them in for only 10 min then he called me
What do i do?

Thanks

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to say. I gather you are hoping to skip/shorten the cycling process in your tank. Bacteria is pretty resilient. But Regardless of if they were cleanly brought in saltwater and not dipped in the freshwater, you need to watch your parameters. So test your water and watch for it cycling. I recently upgraded from a 3 year old 46g to a 60g. Used the same sand, live rock, and some if the same water. New filter and additional sand and dead rock added. I didn’t think my tank would cycle with all of that, but it did.

so just treat it like a new tank and it’s a bonus if you get through the cycle faster because of your media.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is likelihood cells underwent lysis...they burst. However, if bioballs are your thing, I'd still through them in your filtering system because they'll reseed themselves fairly quickly.

OP
OP
L

leen.tu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank u so much
My tank is new but completed the cycled i thought i would introduce variety of bacteria to my system and should help the overall health.

Luisn17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if using another system stuff is a good idea, if they ran high levels of nitrates or anything, it will leach out to your system.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back