Bio media in qt?

SpencerT82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just setup a 40 gallon qt to keep my fish in to let my dt to go fallow. I’m treating gym fish for ich and was wondering if I should leave my bio brick in qt or remove it so ich can’t reproduce? Also I’m going to be using copper power and Hanna copper checker how often should I check copper?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as there are not fish in the tank, the ich will eventually die. Follow the QT died on this forum. As for how often to check copper, that is up to you. I personally would check it every few days, but likely once a day for the first week or so till I figure out the rhythm.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the brick is made from calcareous material, it will absorb the copper, often quickly, and potentially reduce the concentration to levels that will not kill the parasites. Foam filters or foam media in a HOB or canister filter work well. The trick is to establish the foam in your DT a month or so before you need to use it in the QT to give it time to become fully populated with nitrifying bacteria.

IF you haven't QT'd with your equipment previously, you should test daily with the Hanna checker until you can determine if and how fast your concentration degrades. Both Copper Power and Copper Safe recommend a concentration of 2.5 ppm. In practice, if the concentration drops below 2.25 ppm, you should assume the effectiveness of the copper has been compromised and you should restart the 30 day clock when you raise the concentration back to the 2.25 - 2.5 range.

You should also test ammonia daily to confirm your biological filtration (e.g. foam or other media) is effective. Once you know the QT is cycled, you can reduce or even discontinue the ammonia testing.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 96 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back