Bio Pellet Reactor Straight to Display Tank

bjohnson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to install a new bio pellet reactor to help stabilize nitrates and was running into the issue of how to plumb it. I have tried having one pump run into the bio pellet and then into a make shift sump (I do not have the room currently for a full sump) from there I have another pump running out of the sump and back into the tank after being skimmed. The issue is that the amount of water coming out of the tank is less than what is going back into the display... aka in < out. However the two pumps are exactly the same at 303 gph. So my question arises is that I know a bio pellet reactor will produce a goo like substance if too many pellets are in there. But if I slowly add the pellets would it be possible to plumb the reactor straight to my display tank?

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you having nutrient issues that would motivate you to add a pellet reactor?

To answer your question there could be the possibility of excessive bacteria growth in the display. Reducing the amount of pellets used would also reduce the amount of bacteria that would be colonized. Nevertheless, the purpose of a pellet reactor is to cultivate bacteria and send it right to your skimmer to remove it from the system, consequently exporting the excessive nutrients.

I ask the first question because many new reefers fall victim to early tank syndrome and believe they need a product to solve their temporary issues and it's simply not necessary.

OP
OP
B

bjohnson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you having nutrient issues that would motivate you to add a pellet reactor?

To answer your question there could be the possibility of excessive bacteria growth in the display. Reducing the amount of pellets used would also reduce the amount of bacteria that would be colonized. Nevertheless, the purpose of a pellet reactor is to cultivate bacteria and send it right to your skimmer to remove it from the system, consequently exporting the excessive nutrients.

I ask the first question because many new reefers fall victim to early tank syndrome and believe they need a product to solve their temporary issues and it's simply not necessary.
So the reason for getting a bio pellet is because over time my nitrates slowly keep rising. I have grown a baby snowflake and a maroon clownfish (i know that if it can fit in the mouth it can be eaten but there has always been a safe size difference and the eel has never eaten live foods) but i have read between bio pellets and sulfer and where id like to start growing corals i didn’t want to lose the alkalinity the sulfur reactor would take out. And for the new tank issue my tank has been running for almost 3 years now. The feeding stays constant and water changes are consistent but with the amount of work i have to do for school there are times I miss, so after research I figured a bio pellet would help with growing the bacteria to eat the nitrates

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bio pellet reactor work effectivaly off of the amount of bio pellets you add. So i dont see a disadvantage of having to plumb it to your display or having a hob vs. of one....as long as your adequetly protein skimming the body of water your trying to effect.
I do like to have the output directly into the input of the skimmer. So plumb accordingly.
D

OP
OP
B

bjohnson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What reactor and protein skimmer? How much tank total.volume?
You woulr say you have enough flow in your tank for coral?
D
So right now (soon to be upgrading after this semester is over and moved out), I have a 40 breeder with a hob 1.5 aquamaxx skimmer and then the aquamaxx xl bio pellet reactor I know its a big reactor for this tank but I will soon be upgrading it to hopefully a 125. The reactor has just started i only have 25% of the total amount I need. But my question is what would be the issue of hooking directly to my tank. I know it can produce the goo but for just starting out would it cause any issues? And for the flow yes I have plenty of flow.

OP
OP
B

bjohnson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bio pellet reactor work effectivaly off of the amount of bio pellets you add. So i dont see a disadvantage of having to plumb it to your display or having a hob vs. of one....as long as your adequetly protein skimming the body of water your trying to effect.
I do like to have the output directly into the input of the skimmer. So plumb accordingly.
D
See thats what I would like to do but when I tired that the head pressure wasn’t enough for the skimmer to still skim so how do you do it?

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put the flow.pointing out towards the input of the skimmer. No need to direct plumb feed it. Just feel with ur hand. U can feel the sucking from ur skimmer input and the flow from ur xl reactor output. U wont catch all of it but try and catch most of the bio gunk water.
The other poster is.correct. u r making a slimy bio film water. Just be careful with it.
Watch ur tumble. Every now and again i flush my xl. I open the gate and re set it back to a good tumble. Just to hit any pellets that have settled with sw.
D

OP
OP
B

bjohnson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put the flow.pointing out towards the input of the skimmer. No need to direct plumb feed it. Just feel with ur hand. U can feel the sucking from ur skimmer input and the flow from ur xl reactor output. U wont catch all of it but try and catch most of the bio gunk water.
The other poster is.correct. u r making a slimy bio film water. Just be careful with it.
Watch ur tumble. Every now and again i flush my xl. I open the gate and re set it back to a good tumble. Just to hit any pellets that have settled with sw.
D
Okay thank you and will do!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 57.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 57 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 69 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.1%
Back