Bio Spira cycled my tank in 4 days????

Helms Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a brand new 70G setup (Live sand/dry rock). used RODI water with 0 Nitrates (measured), Following BRS video I dosed with instant ocean bacteria and added a clown fish the same day. Turned off the skimmer. 4 days after adding Bio i decided to test the water. 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and 5ppm nitrates. Could this be true that I am already in the nitrate stage of the cycle? Fish are doing great....hungry, friendly and sleeping well.

tempImagePQhz5u.png

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its possible however I would wait a few weeks before adding more fish. You want the bacteria to process the ammonia, not some algae.

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria is indeed this good nowadays.
I was wondering this same exact thing. I will be setting up my tank tomorrow with live rock, sand, etc... I was reading the directions and it says you can add fish immediately after adding the bio-spira. I’m confused a bit because after reading for 2 weeks about saltwater tanks and the nitrogen cycle, everything says fish can’t go in for weeks. I need help understanding if I truly can add a fish on day 1 as the directions describe.

Attachments

• E6840B1F-DF8D-4A57-A03F-035A00F08493.jpeg
    E6840B1F-DF8D-4A57-A03F-035A00F08493.jpeg
    202.3 KB · Views: 110

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We don’t use any bottle bac if you’re using live rock, it shows up wet and already full of bacteria

Storm Trooper Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering this same exact thing. I will be setting up my tank tomorrow with live rock, sand, etc... I was reading the directions and it says you can add fish immediately after adding the bio-spira. I’m confused a bit because after reading for 2 weeks about saltwater tanks and the nitrogen cycle, everything says fish can’t go in for weeks. I need help understanding if I truly can add a fish on day 1 as the directions describe.
Live rock and live sand have bacteria, they are alive with them. But the bacteria is dormant. It wakes up slowly with saltwater and food. One bacteria needs to wake up to eat waste, then another for ammonia, the next for nitrite, etc. you need them all to wake up and before your surprise attack with pooping fish. Drop is a raw shrimp, take it out in a day or two, then wait a week and test. You should then be ok to add a fish, if things are not decomposing on your live rock raising ammonia and nitrite

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We don’t use any bottle bac if you’re using live rock, it shows up wet and already full of bacteria

I checked out your post and a few of the URLs you provided within it. Sounds like you’re saying that if I have the live sand, live rock and I also have imagitarium pacific sea water, I’m pretty much ready to go immediately. Bio spira isn’t needed unless I was using dry rock. Correct?

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what I used and yes I can see it but like others have stated wait. Mine cycled in 8 but I tossed a raw shrimp in for 24hrs checked ammonia then pulled it out cause I was at 8ppm added 1/2 bottle of Bio-Spira and I watched the Ammonia drop 2PPM everyr 28-24 hours by day 5-6 I had ammonia now my Nitrates were high which you expect so water changes solved that problem.

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked out your post and a few of the URLs you provided within it. Sounds like you’re saying that if I have the live sand, live rock and I also have imagitarium pacific sea water, I’m pretty much ready to go immediately. Bio spira isn’t needed unless I was using dry rock. Correct?
Correct if you get wet live rock (stays submerged in water if being shipped) or picked up tat LFS with less that maybe an hour wait before in your tank then no you don't need the bottle bacteria. The live rock has it all on it. I would still wait a few days to a week and check parameters then go from there.

OP
OP
H

Helms Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just followed the instructions and all my fish are thriving. Water was instantly stable. Just added fish slowly. I don’t even run my skimmer!

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used it as directed as well but still waited to add livestock as Nitrates were high 100ppm high couple 75% water changes and it was down to 10ppm or so. Mine is only 4g so no fish for me.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biospira is the best bacteria in a bottle hands down! I cycle QT tanks overnight with it and a few drops of ammonia!

I've always been curious how long biospira actually takes to prepare a QT tank before adding fish. Some reading says same day or next day, but that equation typically is for a low 1-2 fish initial add. It wouldn't be enough to support any larger number of fish right away. Question is really how long does it take to propagate enough to support larger amounts of fish. First couple fish will provide the ammonia to feed the added bacteria. We know bacteria needs surface area to populate which is sparse in most QT tanks. i.e maybe couple PVCs .

So we talking couple days to a week enough time for bacteria to grown sizable enough?

I added a few marinepure balls and couple fist size rocks from established tank along with biospira. All intended to jump start bacteria to support a steady supply of fish added over the next several days. I just hope the growth will at least keep pace with the new adds before ammonia is an issue. (I have 2 alert badges and still don't trust the readings. lol)

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always been curious how long biospira actually takes to prepare a QT tank before adding fish. Some reading says same day or next day, but that equation typically is for a low 1-2 fish initial add. It wouldn't be enough to support any larger number of fish right away. Question is really how long does it take to propagate enough to support larger amounts of fish. First couple fish will provide the ammonia to feed the added bacteria. We know bacteria needs surface area to populate which is sparse in most QT tanks. i.e maybe couple PVCs .

So we talking couple days to a week enough time for bacteria to grown sizable enough?

I added a few marinepure balls and couple fist size rocks from established tank along with biospira. All intended to jump start bacteria to support a steady supply of fish added over the next several days. I just hope the growth will at least keep pace with the new adds before ammonia is an issue. (I have 2 alert badges and still don't trust the readings. lol)

I use 20 gal qt tanks, one large bottle and few drops of ammonia and it’s ready for anything

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 20 gal qt tanks, one large bottle and few drops of ammonia and it’s ready for anything

Where does your bacteria grow and populate in QT that quickly? Can't imagine a sponge in a HOB to have enough to sustain anything so quickly.

Back