Biocube 14g vs Innovative Marine 20

Sethm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need a little help from you guys on an impulse purchase that happened over the weekend.

I have been wanting to add a nano tank for awhile and over the weekend I came across a 14g Biocube for $25... and without hesitation I snatched it up. I had already made up my mind that I would be removing the rim, running either a Radion or Kessil lights, and that this was going to be a zoa dominated tank before I ever made it home.

With that said, I am a huge fan of rimless tanks and really like the look, and price point of the Innovative Marine aquariums.

My question to you is, are there any advantages or disadvantages with either of those two tanks? Im more concerned with the limitations that I could possibly run into with the rear chambers when adding equipment. The last thing I want is that feeling of regret because I was unaware.

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great score on the biocube for $25! What kind of equipment are you considering adding? For a 14 or 20g zoa tank you will really only need a heater and then an ATO will be very helpful. Filter floss and carbon can also come in handy. But you won’t need a skimmer in a tank that small or a dosing system if you don’t have many sps corals. You could Consider a fuge down the line but my guess is either can be fitted with a fuge light.

To me the question is more about aesthetics vs saving money. If the $200 is more important for you now than having exactly the tank you imagined then keep the biocube. If not then use the bio cube as a quarantine tank!

Intank makes a media caddy for the buocube, I love mine in my nuvo 10 (I have chemipure Nano and filter floss in mine).https://intankaquatics.com/shop-by-tank/biocube/oceanic-biocube-14/

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh also consider that you may want to upgrade the pump on the biocube, I would test it out to see how loud it is. For a zoa tank my guess is it will be enough flow but I’m not an expert on zoa’s needs

OP
OP
S

Sethm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Pbh

The pump is a maxi jet 1200 and I haven't tested it out yet. I planned on running the intank media basket, ATO, and possibly a skimmer if needed. I see that the Biocube one is only $30.

The thought of using it as a quarantine tank has definitely crossed my mind more than once.

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Pbh

The pump is a maxi jet 1200 and I haven't tested it out yet. I planned on running the intank media basket, ATO, and possibly a skimmer if needed. I see that the Biocube one is only $30.

The thought of using it as a quarantine tank has definitely crossed my mind more than once.

I think that’s the pump that came with the used jbj 12 cube I got as a second quarantine tank (never in my life did I think I would have 2 qts for a 10 gallon DT!!!!). Mine was very loud so I replaced it with the nuvo 10’s stock pump.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back