Biocube 16 mods

Slries

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have the 16 biocube? I've been searching for mods for the tank to see if I can upgrade anything but all the mods I see are for differect sozed cubes. Does anyone know if you can take the divider out of the first chamber (farthest from return pump) so you can put a heater in it? I have a protein skimmer in my second chamber and need a heater this winter.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have the 16 biocube? I've been searching for mods for the tank to see if I can upgrade anything but all the mods I see are for differect sozed cubes. Does anyone know if you can take the divider out of the first chamber (farthest from return pump) so you can put a heater in it? I have a protein skimmer in my second chamber and need a heater this winter.

Don't have this tank but think you might be able to remove the divider using a utility knife with a sharp blade or even a hacksaw blade; doesn't have to be too neat, just create enough space for a heater. I assume Coralife would recommend that you put a heater in chamber 3 with pump, but then you'll have to be careful to keep water level high enough, assuming there is enough room for your particular heater.
BTW, an Intank media basket and a Sicce 1.0/1.5 pump would be a big improvement over the stock filtration set up and/or your protein skimmer if it isn't doing the job.

Nice tank, just needs a little help

OP
OP
Slries

Slries

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't have this tank but think you might be able to remove the divider using a utility knife with a sharp blade or even a hacksaw blade; doesn't have to be too neat, just create enough space for a heater. I assume Coralife would recommend that you put a heater in chamber 3 with pump, but then you'll have to be careful to keep water level high enough, assuming there is enough room for your particular heater.
BTW, an Intank media basket and a Sicce 1.0/1.5 pump would be a big improvement over the stock filtration set up and/or your protein skimmer if it isn't doing the job.

Nice tank, just needs a little help

Awesome thank you. Didn't think about just cutting it. I saw in some versions it just pops out which I tried to do. Heard it's a detritus trap down there too. I'll look into that pump too. Is it just a higher flow rate?

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thank you. Didn't think about just cutting it. I saw in some versions it just pops out which I tried to do. Heard it's a detritus trap down there too. I'll look into that pump too. Is it just a higher flow rate?
Yeah, much more gph than stock pump and very quiet as well. Don't know if it will fit your 3rd chamber but worth investigating.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a biocube 16 and first thing I did was pop out that divider in chamber one. Well ok, it was not the first thing cause the tank was full of saltwater when I did it. Lol

I had to use a small boxcutter to cut the silicone that holds it in place. I think it was only on the front divider and back glass, then I used a pair of needle nose pliers to grab a hold of it between the vents and yanked it out. I was able to fit my eheim heater in there after that.

OP
OP
Slries

Slries

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a biocube 16 and first thing I did was pop out that divider in chamber one. Well ok, it was not the first thing cause the tank was full of saltwater when I did it. Lol

I had to use a small boxcutter to cut the silicone that holds it in place. I think it was only on the front divider and back glass, then I used a pair of needle nose pliers to grab a hold of it between the vents and yanked it out. I was able to fit my eheim heater in there after that.

Great! I will try that at my next water change this weekend. I just purchased a cobalt 75 watt heater for the tank. Have you done any mods with the lighting at all? Is it needed? I've not had many issues, just curious.

olivia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I am glad to hear I am not the only one wondering why the 16 is so unpopular(?). I recently got mine, over a month ago, and have been really searching but cannot find much for the biocube 16. These products are apparently compatible with the 16 biocube, but I have not looked into them specifically. https://www.marinedepot.com/search?Query=Shop by Tank CoraLife 16 Gallon BioCube LED Aquarium

I figure that most modifications done to the other new style biocubes will work in a similar matter, but will just need to be adapted for size or perhaps flow rate for the 16 cube. I will keep searching and post what I find and let you know if do well with any mods (my plan is a fuge in the middle chamber, but I am looking for the best way to make this work.) I currently keep my Ehiem jagger 50W heater in chamber 3(?) (the one with the pump), frequent top offs are needed. How is the protein skimmer? I was thinking about one but figured maybe with weekly water changes it is not needed on this size. (The jury is still out on this it seems.)

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't done any lighting mods, I did put it on a timer as this tank is in the bedroom and can't sleep with the noisy fan. I have a few Kenya tree, some pulsing xenia, and a few zoanthinds in there. They are doing fine.
I picked up this tank second hand at the LFS tobhiuse my clowns that were being jerks to a new wrasse I added to the 54g tank.
It came with a media rack, but I've yet to put anything in it.

I have a biocube 14g also, it's my coral qt. I run cheato in the second compartment, use a mj900 for a pump, and gutted the Compact fluorescents and put in leds due to heat issues.

They have been good tanks for me so far.

olivia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your 16 biocube didn't come with timed LED lights?

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your 16 biocube didn't come with timed LED lights?
Yes they are timed, but the fan stays on even when the leds are off, I bought it used...does your fan go off when your lights go off?

OP
OP
Slries

Slries

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I am glad to hear I am not the only one wondering why the 16 is so unpopular(?). I recently got mine, over a month ago, and have been really searching but cannot find much for the biocube 16. These products are apparently compatible with the 16 biocube, but I have not looked into them specifically. https://www.marinedepot.com/search?Query=Shop by Tank CoraLife 16 Gallon BioCube LED Aquarium

I figure that most modifications done to the other new style biocubes will work in a similar matter, but will just need to be adapted for size or perhaps flow rate for the 16 cube. I will keep searching and post what I find and let you know if do well with any mods (my plan is a fuge in the middle chamber, but I am looking for the best way to make this work.) I currently keep my Ehiem jagger 50W heater in chamber 3(?) (the one with the pump), frequent top offs are needed. How is the protein skimmer? I was thinking about one but figured maybe with weekly water changes it is not needed on this size. (The jury is still out on this it seems.)
I know! Can't find mods for the 16 anywhere! Thank you! I'll look at those as well. I'm honestly not sure the skimmer is necessary at this point. I got it in, but now that it's in the chamber I cannot get it out...so I've been using a medicine syringe to suction up the scum...can't clean it though...i haven't had any problems with evaporation and needing to top off. Mine did come with LED timed lights though. Was just curious of anything better or if it was needed.

olivia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't done any lighting mods, I did put it on a timer as this tank is in the bedroom and can't sleep with the noisy fan. I have a few Kenya tree, some pulsing xenia, and a few zoanthinds in there. They are doing fine.
I picked up this tank second hand at the LFS tobhiuse my clowns that were being jerks to a new wrasse I added to the 54g tank.
It came with a media rack, but I've yet to put anything in it.

I have a biocube 14g also, it's my coral qt. I run cheato in the second compartment, use a mj900 for a pump, and gutted the Compact fluorescents and put in leds due to heat issues.

They have been good tanks for me so far.

Sorry misread! Yes fan turns off when lights go off, which is not ideal as it is really warm! So did you mod the lights entirely on your 16 to get the fan running full time? (I am thinking I will record the temps with the fan off and lights off tonight and see if major intervention is needed asap.)

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! I will try that at my next water change this weekend. I just purchased a cobalt 75 watt heater for the tank. Have you done any mods with the lighting at all? Is it needed? I've not had many issues, just curious.
I have a 32 biocube and every coral I've tried in it (scolys, turbinaria, favia, symphillia, lobos, torches, candy canes, acans and trachys) seems to do well. Of course, placement re: height is important as is water flow, etc. Didn't want to invest big bucks for a light upgradefor such a small tank.
As for noisy fan ( the 32 stays on 24/7), Coralife techs told me they had tested the 32 cube without a fan and saw no problems with removing it. I did so and my life has improved significantly (tank was in a bedroom). Might want to call and see if they have also evaluated the 16. If you're worried about excessive heat build up, just open feeding port on hood and cover with mesh.
With good filtration, moderate feeding, etc., not sure you need a skimmer and sounds like the one you have now may be more trouble than it is worth. Would get the Intank basket for an upgrade.
Good luck; reefing is a great hobby and just takes some patience and experimentation to find out what is right for you and your system.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry misread! Yes fan turns off when lights go off, which is not ideal as it is really warm! So did you mod the lights entirely on your 16 to get the fan running full time? (I am thinking I will record the temps with the fan off and lights off tonight and see if major intervention is needed asap.)
Hmmmm, no they have done that since I bought it... maybe I should email coralife..
I got it second hand and the fans have always run if there is power to the hood. I didn't really think anything of it.. except that it was annoying and kept me up at night, so I put the timer on.

Gonna go shoot an email to coralife and see if they have a fix, haha.

Or after mikedawg mentioning his, Mayne I'll ask about disconnecting it and if it would effect the life expectancy of the leds..

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm, no they have done that since I bought it... maybe I should email coralife..
I got it second hand and the fans have always run if there is power to the hood. I didn't really think anything of it.. except that it was annoying and kept me up at night, so I put the timer on.

Gonna go shoot an email to coralife and see if they have a fix, haha.
Coralife techs are always available to take a phone call and I think many are also reefers. Yeah, I replaced my fan twice with the new units Coralife sent and no improvement. Just a cheap computer fan.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralife techs are always available to take a phone call and I think many are also reefers. Yeah, I replaced my fan twice with the new units Coralife sent and no improvement. Just a cheap computer fan.
Thanks, I sent an email so will see what they say..

FTLTim954

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I have had the biocube 16 for a year now and have done some things to make it run better and look nicer. I added a kessil a 160we to get rid of the stock lights and noisy fan, the AI prime was the other option I was looking into but went with the kessil. I got rid of the filter in the right chamber and added the coralife protein skimmer. The middle chamber I am using the media basket and use chemipure elite and blue, and a small amout of rowa phos, the left chamber I put the small uv sterilizer and my heater. In the tank its self I only have the additional powerhead for some extra flow. I do water changes every 7-10 days.

IMG_20171025_150322_070.jpg

OP
OP
Slries

Slries

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I have had the biocube 16 for a year now and have done some things to make it run better and look nicer. I added a kessil a 160we to get rid of the stock lights and noisy fan, the AI prime was the other option I was looking into but went with the kessil. I got rid of the filter in the right chamber and added the coralife protein skimmer. The middle chamber I am using the media basket and use chemipure elite and blue, and a small amout of rowa phos, the left chamber I put the small uv sterilizer and my heater. In the tank its self I only have the additional powerhead for some extra flow. I do water changes every 7-10 days.

IMG_20171025_150322_070.jpg
Awesome! I'll have to check out the uv sterilizer as well! Does the Kessils fit right in the lid, or how did you do that?

Oldsalt01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely go with an Intank media basket. I have a 14 g Biocube, and it's the next upgrade I'm going with. I ended up pulling the hood off due to heat issues, went with a Hydra 26 for lights, and I'm now running a Hamster water bottle as an DIY ATO. It's stupid, but it works!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back