Biocube 16gal upgrade return pump? Powerhead? ATO?

indiana812

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive posted quite a bit about my 16gal cube, and I sincerely appreciate all the input I've gotten this far!

I have been reading of people upgrading their return pump in chamber 3.
I have read some post that mention the Cobalt MJ900. I bought my 16 gal Biocube used, the return pump isnt causing me any issues, just continuously thinking how I can improve the tank.

I also have thought about possibly getting a smaller powerhead?
I currently have Jebao OW-10 Wavemaker 132-1057 GPH with Controller and Magnet Mount but I bought a "guard" that wont get here for a few more days, so it has been turned off since my new RBTA is getting acclimated to the tank (although I put him by a crevice in my live rock, and didnt realize he would go directly in the crevice and not come out LOL.)

I have also been thinking possibly an ATO system?
I do not have a lid on the tank as I just use a flex mount AI PRIME 16HD, I check the water levels every morning before I leave for work and add RO as needed which is usually only about half a cup. I am going out of town in a few weeks, and that would put my mind at ease to not having someone check my water levels every morning.
-I will say, my tank is in the corner of my room, so I dont have a ton of space. I have my bucket stacked next to the tank, but not a whole lot of roaming room.

Any recommendations?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Save your money, if the return pump is working fine for you no need to change it just because you think it's an upgrade, all pumps do the same thing, if the noise isn't an issue for you or something else then no need to change it, you could always buy a spare though.

An ATO is worth getting, Tunze nano is the one I have, the smart micro ato gets good reviews too.

OP
OP
I

indiana812

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Save your money, if the return pump is working fine for you no need to change it just because you think it's an upgrade, all pumps do the same thing, if the noise isn't an issue for you or something else then no need to change it, you could always buy a spare though.

An ATO is worth getting, Tunze nano is the one I have, the smart micro ato gets good reviews too.
Thank you for the response! Im glad I had some validation on the return pump!

ATO it is! I appreciate you!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back