OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 300w heater has been going pretty well so far but I think I'm going to purchase a new heater around 100w so I don't end up accidentally boiling my fish because of a stuck heater. Also I know it's a little early but I've been really thinking about getting an rbta for the clowns. If you guys think thats really a bad idea then I can wait longer.

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some pictures of my yellow watchman goby:)
ywg2.jpg

ywg4.jpg

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am officially addicted to getting coral. Not only did I finally upgrade to a refractometer, but the guy who gave us the refractometer for free also gave us a free hammer frag! also couldn't help it and decided to get a small rose bubble tip anemone for free from another guy who's anemone split.

Here's a current livestock list:
ocellaris clownfish pair
yellow watchman goby
random assortment of blue and red legged hermits
2 turbo snails
rose bta
duncan
jack o' lantern
green worm brain
hammer (not sure what type-it's bright green with purple tips)

now I'm just waiting for the anemone to settle down so I can put all my corals back on the rocks:rolleyes:

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I got some more free coral-slimeball acropora, red monti, and green tip hammer. We also did little aquascaping with some extra rock I had. Everything seems to be going well and the corals are all growing very quickly.
Here's some pictures of the new aquascape, FTS, and corals.

FTS
IMG_7266.jpg

Duncan, red monti, rbta, and jack o' lantern
IMG_7271.JPG

Slimeball acropora, metalic brain worm, and green hammer
IMG_7269.jpg

Side shot
IMG_7275.jpg

More full tank shots
IMG_7270.jpg

IMG_7280.JPG

IMG_7273.jpg

IMG_7266.jpg IMG_7268.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I've been thinking recently about getting a better light for the corals and nems, and that's when, a couple days ago, I found a Kessil a160we for sale. It was a very close call on the action, but we got it for $73. I know it's not an ai prime or a radion, but I hope this will at least be a little better than what I had:) (at least it looks nice;)).

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't be happier with the results I'm having from the new light. The nems are doing so much better, and there not all stretched out running around trying to find enough light. The tips of the acropora are turning a little white, but other than that, all my other corals are doing fantastic. A couple days ago I got a newsletter from my lfs and they just got some ORA red mandarins. They said it's extremely rare that they get them so I'm going to try to call the over the phone and go pick it up asap.There's only one left and they said it was about 3/4 inch and $85. I know it could be a little risky, but the pods in my tank are doing great and I'd just love to buy a a mandarin in person rather than online for double the price. Let me know what you guys think. Should I just do it? Or would I end up unnecessarily killing a beautiful fish.

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well we decided to do it. We ordered the mandarin over the phone and we're going to pick it up on saturday!
so excited cant wait GIF

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nem was doing great for a few weeks, now it looks like it's dying :( add that to the list of things that die with perfect conditions in my tank lol
I'm sorry to hear about your nems:( I'm very surprised that my nems are still alive, especially with no frequent water changes, not perfect parameters, not the best lighting, beginner care, and the tank is just about 2 months old only!

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I got out of school early, and I didn't have enough patience to wait so we went and picked up the mandarin. He's in the tank now and seems very happy. He's very small, but well worth the money. My lfs claims that he eats frozen, but I haven't tested feeding yet other than all the copepods that he's eaten. I do worry about him and the anemones but he's been fine so far. My tank has quite a lot of algae so I couldn't get any good pictures, but when I do, I'll post them :)

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've had the mandarin for a week now and he's doing great. very happy and healthy, but still not eating anything other than pods that I know of. The corals that were stung by the nem have also recovered.

IMG_5874.jpg
IMG_5878.jpg
IMG_5877.jpg
IMG_5882.jpg
IMG_5880.jpg

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got around to cleaning the glass and managed to get some pics of the mandarin:)
IMG_5969.JPG

IMG_5968.JPG

IMG_5970.JPG

IMG_5971.JPG

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got around to cleaning the glass and managed to get some pics of the mandarin:)
IMG_5969.JPG

IMG_5968.JPG

IMG_5970.JPG

IMG_5971.JPG
anyone know what type of mandarin this is? it was sold to me as an ORA red mandarin, but it looks different than other red mandarins that I've seen

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't updated this since march?! well just wanted to say that a year ago yesterday was when I bought my first fish, and they're still doing great to this day. My ywg and mandarin are also doing great, although the mandarin still only eats pods :( . I've acquired quite a few more corals too. I'll post some pictures after I get out of school;)

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's a list of some new equipment I got:
hanna alkalinity checker
hanna phosphate checker
hanna calcium checker
salifert magnesium checker
red sea coral pro salt (switching from io)
aquaticlife 115 mini skimmer ( might return cause it's a little loud)
fritz refractometer calibration fluid
inkbird temp controller

The only problem is I got the inkbird with the metal probe. Does anyone know if it's ok for it to be in saltwater? maybe I could have the probe in a small plastic bag in the tank?

here are some my parameters including from my new tests:

alkalinity 7.4 ( a little low)
phosphate .12 ( a little high)
calcium 475 (I'm guessing that's not totally right as I've seen some other reviews on how the hanna calcium checker can be a little off)
magnesium 1080 (too low)
salinity 1.023 (want to raise it to 1.026)
ph 8.3
nitrite 0
nitrate 5-10

tanks been going since january and now I'm finally getting some good coralline growth!

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
finally went and bought a 100w heater to replace the 300w, got the inkbird with plastic probe, and I bought a sicce voyager 2000 powerhead to go with my hydor koralia nano 240 gph.

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the skimmers been working good, still a little noisy though. I'm returning my hanna calcium checker. It's not reliable or accurate. I tested calcium twice in a row the exact same way and the first time I got 385 and the second time 444. I'll probably just get the red sea one instead. Were going on a three week vacation in a couple days so I'm preparing for that and hopefully everything goes well. When we get back, I'm probably going to get another fish for the tank. Here's a list of what I'm thinking about if anyone has any opinions on what would be best.

fish I want:
royal gramma (would love captive bred from biota if I can)
pink streaked wrasse
captive bred lemon damsel (are they aggressive?)
banggai or pajama cardinal captive bred
midas blenny (maybe a little too big?)
ora whitespotted filefish or biota radial filefish
firefish

not sure which one(s?) yet, but I'm not in a hurry.

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
started dosing magnesium a couple days ago cause it was at 1050, now it's at 1100, but I'm going to continue raising it to 1350. alkalinity's still low at 7.2, and phosphate is high around .20. got refunded for the calcium test kit I returned, but I won't be able to get another test kit for three weeks cause we're going on vacation. I'm using the Zacro auto feeder I bought on amazon for around $25. It'll be feeding new life spectrum pellets.
I'm considering getting a couple firefish for the tank. If anyone has any recommendations on how many would be best, that would be great.:)

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got back from our three week road trip a couple days ago. We took our Rv from California (where we live) to Minnesota to see grandparents, as well as see some national parks along the way. I enjoyed the vacation but I'm very happy to be back with my tank. When we got home, most of the sand was covered in a thick carpet a hair algae, and the rocks in the back left corner are also very hairy now. I was able to remove most of the GHA, but I know it will be back so I've already setup arrangements with my LFS to get a tailspot blenny to help with algae control. Before we left, part of the skin on the Duncan was gone, and when we came back I was very disappointed to see that it was dead except for a couple tiny polyps. My applejack Monti and leptoseris are pretty much goners as well. Also if anyone knows why my rose bta is fine but not my rainbow, I would love to know whats going on.

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're going to pick up our tailspot blenny now. Be back with pictures later.

Back