OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night i picked up a new thermometer and apparently the temperature was 88 degrees so I'm definitely glad I caught that bad thermometer. Not sure how the clowns survived, but they still seem to be doing well. I'll be picking up a new heater too just in case. For most of today I've been able to keep the tank between 78-80 degrees. Also after I get this all sorted out, I'm going to start adding some corals. I really like the corals that flow in the current, but I don't really know much about corals or what corals I can grow with my kessil a150w so I would love any recommendations.

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I added my cuc from my biocube 14 I'm tearing down and later today I'm placing an order for some new fish. Here's my current list of fish that I'm looking into:
ORA red scooter dragonet
ORA yellow watchman goby
ORA whitespotted pygmy filefish
ORA pajama cardinalfish
My lfs says they can try a request for fish from ORA, but I'm not sure what to get from the list right now so I'd love recommendations if you've had any experience or know about any of these fish. Also here's a list of current tank parameters:
ammonia 0 ppm
nitrite 0ppm
nitrate <4 ppm
ph 8.4
I'm currently using an API test kit so there not to accurate, but it seems that the tank has been going great.

lordthaxto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I added my cuc from my biocube 14 I'm tearing down and later today I'm placing an order for some new fish. Here's my current list of fish that I'm looking into:
ORA red scooter dragonet
ORA yellow watchman goby
ORA whitespotted pygmy filefish
ORA pajama cardinalfish
My lfs says they can try a request for fish from ORA, but I'm not sure what to get from the list right now so I'd love recommendations if you've had any experience or know about any of these fish. Also here's a list of current tank parameters:
ammonia 0 ppm
nitrite 0ppm
nitrate <4 ppm
ph 8.4
I'm currently using an API test kit so there not to accurate, but it seems that the tank has been going great.
I have a biocube 32 that I'm modding up. Getting my MJ1200 Tuesday. Check out my build thread, just added a octo skimmer today :)

I only have two Juvy clowns and a firefish goby

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a biocube 32 that I'm modding up. Getting my MJ1200 Tuesday. Check out my build thread, just added a octo skimmer today :)

I only have two Juvy clowns and a firefish goby
Nice! The mj1200 is definitely a great upgrade on the biocubes. I'll check out your build thread for some inspiration:). I think I'm going skimmerless on this tank

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On Saturday we won an action on a new Duncan coral for the tank. It's 2 polyps and we got it for $22. It's acclimating to the tank as we speak, and I'll post some pics when it's in the tank! We got the coral from tiger lily's house of fish, nice little shop near the Bay Area, California.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I went to my lfs and bought a jack o' lantern coral, some blue legged hermits, and some turbo snails for my cuc cause the algae starting to go crazy. I also purchased some copepods for the refugium. I'll post a fts, and pics of coral when I can.

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some pictures. tanks going through an algae outbreak so pictures not to clear:(

jack o' lantern frag
IMG_5460.JPG

Duncan
IMG_5459.JPG

FTS
IMG_5461.JPG

Also I already broke my new year's resolution to only get captive bred fish for this tank:(, and I'm purchasing a yellow watchman goby on tuesday and hopefully we'll get a pistol shrimp soon too.:)

Last edited:

lordthaxto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some pictures. tanks going through an algae outbreak so pictures not to clear:(

jack o' lantern frag
IMG_5460.JPG

Duncan
IMG_5459.JPG

FTS
IMG_5461.JPG

Also I already broke my new year's resolution to only get captive bred fish for this tank:(, and I'm purchasing a yellow watchman goby on tuesday and hopefully we'll get a pistol shrimp soon too.:)

I want to breed gobys, but from what I can tell... its going to be hard.

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to breed gobys, but from what I can tell... its going to be hard.
That would be pretty cool. I wanted to get a captive bred goby, but I didn't want to pay to ship 1 fish, and I like supporting the fish stores. Also we're going to get the goby now!

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The goby's in the tank! he's the best fish ever!! only problem is he floats around the tank a little to much when I turned the pumps on. Has anyone else had a problem with having too much flow from an mj1200 on a smaller tank? and if so how did you fix it?

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I got a new green worm brain coral that I got from the same guy I got the duncan from and that's why I bought the goby, because last time I went to his store I saw the goby, didn't want to get it, but then this time I did. And I couldn't be happier. I'll post more higher quality pics of the corals and maybe a picture of the goby whe I can, and if anyone has suggestions for the next fish I should get, that would be awesome.

lordthaxto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I got a new green worm brain coral that I got from the same guy I got the duncan from and that's why I bought the goby, because last time I went to his store I saw the goby, didn't want to get it, but then this time I did. And I couldn't be happier. I'll post more higher quality pics of the corals and maybe a picture of the goby whe I can, and if anyone has suggestions for the next fish I should get, that would be awesome.

I have a MJ1200 and a MaxFlow wave maker. My Goby is about 3" though, so fully grown. He enjoys leaving his cave and floating in the current. But he does not normally go out in the stronger parts like my juvy clowns seem to love.

I think having a cave / hiding place is key for a goby to feel secure ( and prob not jump out the tank ).

lordthaxto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my guy outside in the flow. I mainly use thr wave maker on random mode, so it is off at times

Attachments

• Snapchat-1054234049.mp4
    12.5 MB
OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He seemed to be able to swim ok in the flow, I just wasn't sure if it was too much. I was able to adjust the flow to the side, and it slowed down the flow too. The goby has plenty of hiding places so I'm not too worried though. The weirdest thing is that the clowns always seem more active and happier when I shut off the pumps during maintenance.

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just fed the fish and the goby's eating well. On the other hand, the clowns weren't eating too well. The male clown is breathing fast too, maybe just stressed out because of the new tank mate? They've never really seen any other fish before even at the LFS. Also, if you were wondering why I didn't qt the goby, that's because the guy I just got him from had just quarantined him for 30+ days.

Last edited:

lordthaxto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just fed the fish and the goby's eating well. On the other hand, the clowns weren't eating too well. The male clown is breathing fast too, maybe just stressed out because of the new tank mate? They've never really seen any other fish before even at the LFS. Also, if you were wondering why I didn't qt the goby, that's because the guy I just got him from had just quarantined him for 30+ days.
Prob right about stress. Have you checked your tank params recently? Temp?

I hand feed my clowns, so they know my hand well at this point. First few times I used a turkey baster to feed my coral it freaked them out. Also sticking my hand in super fast will get me a nice bite from them. They got a lot of personality, so wouldn't put it past them to have a small panic attack from the new roommate

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prob right about stress. Have you checked your tank params recently? Temp?

I hand feed my clowns, so they know my hand well at this point. First few times I used a turkey baster to feed my coral it freaked them out. Also sticking my hand in super fast will get me a nice bite from them. They got a lot of personality, so wouldn't put it past them to have a small panic attack from the new roommate
params:
ammonia: 0 ppm
nitrite: 0 ppm
nitrate: <2 ppm
ph: 8.4 ish
sg: approx 1.023
temp. 79

Just a bit ago, the clowns got really scared and I thought something was really wrong, but I think the goby jumped out at them and the got even more scared. As soon as I turned of the light though, they started acting totally normal then went to sleep.

lordthaxto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
params:
ammonia: 0 ppm
nitrite: 0 ppm
nitrate: <2 ppm
ph: 8.4 ish
sg: approx 1.023
temp. 79

Just a bit ago, the clowns got really scared and I thought something was really wrong, but I think the goby jumped out at them and the got even more scared. As soon as I turned of the light though, they started acting totally normal then went to sleep.

Sudden light changes will freak most fish out. I plan to add some curtains to my tank since its in the living room (cheap fabric with velcro around the tank to hold it up). Currently my light schedule makes it so the lights are on when people are around. But i want to have more darkness in the morning when ambient light is coming in from the windows. Which I need because I work in the same room my tank are at :)

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my hydor 150w heater has randomly started heating the tank to about 85 degrees on the lowest setting and the only other heater I have is a 300w. So my question is: would my 300w heater be too much for this tank? I kinda need to know before it's too late, cause either I leave the heater off, and the tank drops 4-5 degrees, or I leave the current heater on all night and it raises the temp 5-6 degrees. Thanks :)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back