BioCube 29 Water Level and ATO Question

kruler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently set up a new Biocube 29 with the following:

Chamber 1 - so far nothing but have a Hydor Slim Skim Nano that I will be putting in
Chamber 2 - inTank Media basket w/ 11oz ChemiPure Elite on bottom shelf (zip tied to top), purigen on middle shelf and floss on the top shelf. Also have the inTank fuge basket but nothing is in it yet.
Chamber 3 - heater and stock return pump

I left the stock hood on the Biocube but retrofitted two Hydra 26s into it so there is very little evaporation.

I bought the AutoAqua auto water changer and ATO and planned to install it once I had the water level dialed in. The problem is that I have not really been able to do that. I set the water level in Chambers 2 and 3 to just under the top shelf of the inTank media basket (just under the top of the sight glass on Chamber 3) but within a day, the level will drop about an inch (not due to evaporation as salinity is maintained. I am measuring with a Sybon refractometer).

I believe the cause of the drop is that as the floss in the media basket starts to pick stuff up, it restricts flow and the return pump pumps water out of chamber 3 faster than it is coming in. I am already changing the floss every 2nd day and it does not look extremely dirty when I do.

The inconsistent level is an obvious problem if I am going to install the ATO. I had also planned to upgrade the return pump but it seems that would make this issue worse. Has anyone come across this issue and if so, what did you do to deal with it?

Thanks in advance.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a different filter floss that has a more open structure or maybe don’t pack it as tightly. Maybe a sponge in the top chamber instead of floss? Just a few ideas to toss around. It is the same as filter socks. If you are running 50 or 100 micron socks they clog very quickly because of the size particle they trap. It’s good and bad and you’ve got to find a happy medium to keep consistent flow.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back