biocube 32 chamber options and skimmer

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently got a biocube 32 and im looking for options to put in my 3 chambers, im chamber 1 which is the intake chamber i was thinking a protein skimmer. The only one that seems to work for biocube 32 without mods to the hood is the coralife biocube 32 skimmer, which i heard is a horrible skimmer. Are there anyother options for a skimmer to fit in chamber 1 without any mods? For chamber 2 im putting a intake media basket with the intake fuge basket beside that, and for chamber 3 I was to just put my heater with the pump for the filter. Im open to all opinions and anyother ideas on a better setup, thank you!! Saltwater newbie here lol

VB313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently got a biocube 32 and im looking for options to put in my 3 chambers, im chamber 1 which is the intake chamber i was thinking a protein skimmer. The only one that seems to work for biocube 32 without mods to the hood is the coralife biocube 32 skimmer, which i heard is a horrible skimmer. Are there anyother options for a skimmer to fit in chamber 1 without any mods? For chamber 2 im putting a intake media basket with the intake fuge basket beside that, and for chamber 3 I was to just put my heater with the pump for the filter. Im open to all opinions and anyother ideas on a better setup, thank you!! Saltwater newbie here lol
I run my heater in chamber 1 jbj true temp with controller
Intank basket with floss/purigen/ chemipure elite have a bag of matrix in the bottom just for the heck of it
Also run a intank refugium with cheato next to that in chamber two
Then return pump chamber which also holds my pump and return line from my chill solutions chiller

never had luck with any skimmers just weekly water changes

OP
OP
H

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Intank basket with floss/purigen/ chemipure elite have a bag of matrix in the bottom just for the heck of it
Then return pump chamber which also holds my pump and return line from my chill solutions chiller

Thank you!

OP
OP
H

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is the chill solutions chiller necessary? And what exactly is that for, they seem quite expensive

ELL23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my Biocube 32 with Steve’s Led.

1st chamber

> Aquamaxx Fr-s Carbon Reactor

> Eheim Heater

2nd chamber

> inTank media basket with Filter floss, chemipure and refigium

> Tunze 9004 protein skimmer

> Seachem matrix

3rd chamber

> sicce syncra 1.5 357gph Return pump

> coralife uv sterilizer

> Tunze ATO 3152

> Aquamaxx Fr-s GFO Reactor

Accessories

> Steve’s LED

> Jebao 4 dosing pump using BRS 2 part

> coral box aquarium pump extender backup battery

> icecap 1k gyre flow pump

OP
OP
H

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my Biocube 32 with Steve’s Led.

1st chamber

> Aquamaxx Fr-s Carbon Reactor

> Eheim Heater

2nd chamber

> inTank media basket with Filter floss, chemipure and refigium

> Tunze 9004 protein skimmer

> Seachem matrix

3rd chamber

> sicce syncra 1.5 357gph Return pump

> coralife uv sterilizer

> Tunze ATO 3152

> Aquamaxx Fr-s GFO Reactor

Accessories

> Steve’s LED

> Jebao 4 dosing pump using BRS 2 part

> coral box aquarium pump extender backup battery

> icecap 1k gyre flow pump
Sounds like a pretty crazy and expensive setup lol what would you recommend to just get my tank up and going

VB313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the chill solutions chiller necessary? And what exactly is that for, they seem quite expensive
Not necessary depends on your house and location I live in a old stone house in the northeast barely any insulation and rely on radiator heat and window air conditioners off keeping my biocube below 80 in the late spring through summer months is a job

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a pretty crazy and expensive setup lol what would you recommend to just get my tank up and going
To just get it up and going, you would be fine with just the media basket and intank refugium. Your buoload won't be heavy at first. It is inly once it get fully sticked that the bioload might require a skimmer or something.

An ATO is optional, as you can always just top it off manually.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Imo a skimmer is not needed in a Biocube. Neither is a chiller in most cases. InTank media basket/ refugium are good.

OP
OP
H

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessary depends on your house and location I live in a old stone house in the northeast barely any insulation and rely on radiator heat and window air conditioners off keeping my biocube below 80 in the late spring through summer months is a job
Gotcha!

ELL23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have moved to 65 gal tank. I have my Steve’s Led up for sale.

05EBA529-FAA5-4D45-ADFF-3DC04E7D0A24.jpeg ED369ECF-9142-4BD4-A1AC-56094B5BDCE4.jpeg 10185605-E9F5-4A39-9CE0-B8E3CB7C633E.jpeg E488D550-90D0-48F2-922C-93E244E5CBEE.jpeg

Stomper83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Picture of chamber 2?

Algaewarrior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Intank media basket and tune 9001 protein skimmer in second chamber for me. If nothing else get the media basket. Stock one is garbage. Buying filter floss and carbon in bulk is way cheaper in the long run.

hey.al

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious what you ended up doing with your biocube 32. Did you end up getting the protein skimmer and placing it in chamber 1? I have the corallife biocube protein skimmer and when I attempted to set it up my heater was getting in the way. I also keep that in chamber 1. I also have the corallife baskets in chamber 2. Ideally I’d love for my heater and protein skimmer to go in chamber 1 but the skimmer is so bulky it doesn’t seem like they are both going to fit. And the green water transition thing got in the way of the protein skimmer too.

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

• Are you still running this setup?
  • You have the floss on top?
  • You have the chemipure in the middle?
  • You have the matrix in the bottom?
  • Is cheato something hard to keep? I hear people say theirs dies or something like that. Lol! Sorry, I'm a newbie. Not sure if that's the correct way to word it.
  • Did you replace the pump or use the one the biocube came with?
  • If you're super bored, do you mind explaining your water change process?

VB313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- yes still up and running although I have been wanting to upgrade to a 40breeder only reason to have a sump skimmer and a little more easy maintenance

-yup with intank media basket not stock trays

-floss/purigen/chemipure

-bag of matrix now resides in bottom of fuge chamber

- not really cheato grows quite well I remove about 30% of growth every 3 months I have a jbj magnetic refugium light that runs a opposite schedule display lights you do have to occasionally scrape coraline algae off the back glass in that chamber other then that I don’t touch it really

- yea I replaced it with a innovative marine mighty jet 326 pump runs full power

- sure! I do 4-5 gallons instant ocean every Monday night mixed for atleast 24 hours

1.I scrape and clean all glass
2.Take a turkey baster and blast all the rock
work to get all the detritus back into the water column
3.shut off return pump and wave maker
4.syphon water from tank into a bucket I made a pvc thing to drain exactly 4ish gallons automatically every time (Ile post pictures tomorrow
5.use old biocube pump I’ve rigged up with a toggle switch to turn it off and on
with a hose to pump new salt water from 5gal bucket into tank
6.replace floss (gets replaced Thursday night also)
7.turn on return and wave maker
Done

I can usually do it in about 10-15 mins

sometimes I replace step 2 with carfuly vaccuming sand
And every 3 months I vaccum out and clean all rear chambers and baskets swap out new chemipure and purigen swap out wave maker and returns with backups take apart and clean the previously used ones

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 50 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back