Biocube 32 Power head placement question.

Powahfull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still very new at this 7 weeks in never had salt water before. So I added one next to the stock pump that is really just a wave maker it feels like. It is right below it a hydor 565 gph it kicked up a good flow and really cleaned that side of the tank but now the (looking in at it) the right side of the tank is starting to get very dirty!!

So I bought a second hydor to put on the right side I think I want it in-between the 2 filters (so both are on different levels of the tank high/medium) is that right? Should I put it pointing out towards the front (will have 2 power heads both blowing towards the front on opposite sides) or should I put it on the glass and point it towards the other power head (will go in current with the first one) or do I do something like straight up or down or even try to figure out how to get it diagonal?

Have seen a lot of posts about 1 I believe that's in the correct placement but I am not finding very good information when you add a second one to the opposite side of the tank. Thanks!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every tank is different. Opposite sides pointing slightly upward and towards each other is most common. You just don't want dead spots.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you plan to have corals? If so you'll want to consider the amount of flow each one needs in deciding where to place powerheads. Two plus a return pump is a lot of movement for corals that need low flow.

OP
OP
P

Powahfull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure there's a green hairy mushroom in there right now the local coral store guy gave me a little frag because I only get my water there once a twice a week. The mushroom shrunk up and got fatter? Or thicker? I don't think it's in danger of dying.

In the tank is just 2 clown fish he also gave me for free. I bought a red scooter blenny from my LFS that told me he would eat algae. () I think 2 tiny emerald crabs like size of a penny when I put them in never see them. 7? Hermit crabs down to I think 2 snails left that's everything.

I bought a set of cerith snails and the hermits killed them all so I bought a set of Astera snails and they kept falling off the rock over night and the tip of the pyramid sticks in the sand and they can't get back up when I wake up dead snail. I'm waiting for some smaller cerith snails to hopefully clean the tank so the hermits don't want the smaller shells.

My goal is to just get a clean tank at the moment and the one new power head I added really cleaned the side it's on. Was hoping a second would do the same.

Oh also one GIANT bristle worm 8 inches at least. But the scooter blenny and one of the hermits eat the smaller ones so eventually I think it will just die off.

Back