Biocube 32 Vacationing ATOs

wrz0170

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! First post! Quick backstory. Been out the hobby for about 15 years where we tended to a 75g. Now exploring the idea of something smaller and see where reef keeping tech has evolved since. Who knows, maybe a Biocube 32 build thread may be forthcoming! So one of our chief concerns was going on vacation and we don’t want to burden someone with tending to the tank. With that in mind, those of you with the 32s, what do you have in place for that piece of mind? Let’s say for a good week. 5g or 10g reservoir? Which ATO? With the top on or those of you without? Here in Nevada, it’s very dry so evaporation rate would be higher without the top I would assume. Thank you for entertaining my questions!

William

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on your evap rate as how big a container. What works for one might not for another
ATO maybe

ks2509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in VA and have a 40 cube. I'm running an icecap ato and have a 5 gal jug for a container. On average I go through 2.5-3 gallons a week. As far as lid I have a mesh lid.

OP
OP
wrz0170

wrz0170

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in VA and have a 40 cube. I'm running an icecap ato and have a 5 gal jug for a container. On average I go through 2.5-3 gallons a week. As far as lid I have a mesh lid.
Thanks! I assume you have your light fixed above? My research has suggested that evaporation rates are faster w/o a lid. Of course that’s a different topic altogether to go lid or not. :)

OP
OP
wrz0170

wrz0170

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on your evap rate as how big a container. What works for one might not for another
ATO maybe

Roger that! Just gauging to see what the average is. We love the idea of getting back into the hobby with the piece of mind that we can leave for a week and the tank would be ok, with or without the lid. Hope that made sense.

ks2509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I assume you have your light fixed above? My research has suggested that evaporation rates are faster w/o a lid. Of course that’s a different topic altogether to go lid or not. :)
It's an aio tank lights are mounted on back wall of the tank. At minimum id recommend a mesh lid to stop jumping fish. Evaporation rates will also depend on ambient air temperature in the room and what not. We keep our house on the colder side so that may effect it as well. I would think a 5 gal container would be enough for you but if you notice it's runs out quick or only last a week, when you go on vacation just upgrade to a larger one.

OP
OP
wrz0170

wrz0170

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an aio tank lights are mounted on back wall of the tank. At minimum id recommend a mesh lid to stop jumping fish. Evaporation rates will also depend on ambient air temperature in the room and what not. We keep our house on the colder side so that may effect it as well. I would think a 5 gal container would be enough for you but if you notice it's runs out quick or only last a week, when you go on vacation just upgrade to a larger one.
Thank you again! It answers our concern that yes, we can leave for a week, but we have to determine evaporation rate based on our environment and choose the appropriate reservoir. Maybe a build thread not far behind!

Nevada Wiseguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! First post! Quick backstory. Been out the hobby for about 15 years where we tended to a 75g. Now exploring the idea of something smaller and see where reef keeping tech has evolved since. Who knows, maybe a Biocube 32 build thread may be forthcoming! So one of our chief concerns was going on vacation and we don’t want to burden someone with tending to the tank. With that in mind, those of you with the 32s, what do you have in place for that piece of mind? Let’s say for a good week. 5g or 10g reservoir? Which ATO? With the top on or those of you without? Here in Nevada, it’s very dry so evaporation rate would be higher without the top I would assume. Thank you for entertaining my questions!

William
I didn't see this post until now. I am in Reno as well and have a 32 Biocube. Just took the lid off and upgraded to Kessil lighting. Looking for an ATO myself for a similar situation.

Nevada Wiseguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer this from my experience this week, YES! I hardly had any evaporation before and as soon as I took the lid off and upgraded the lighting to an a360x, the evaporation was noticeable almost immediately. I don't have a RODI system so I found a local store (the only one actually in Reno) that sells RODI water for 50 cents a gallon. So now I have a 5 gallon resevoir, but need to get an ATO. I didn't think evaporation would be this bad, but it is. Losing at least a gallon a week I am guessing. Perhaps more, but it is new to me for this setup.

OP
OP
wrz0170

wrz0170

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer this from my experience this week, YES! I hardly had any evaporation before and as soon as I took the lid off and upgraded the lighting to an a360x, the evaporation was noticeable almost immediately. I don't have a RODI system so I found a local store (the only one actually in Reno) that sells RODI water for 50 cents a gallon. So now I have a 5 gallon resevoir, but need to get an ATO. I didn't think evaporation would be this bad, but it is. Losing at least a gallon a week I am guessing. Perhaps more, but it is new to me for this setup.
If a gallon or even 2 a week, a 5 gal tank would def last for a weeks‘ vacation I presume. Anyway keep in touch! I may do a pre-build thread shortly for the 32 and would like to hear your experience so far with the upgrades, ie Kessil lighting, filtration etc.

Nevada Wiseguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a gallon or even 2 a week, a 5 gal tank would def last for a weeks‘ vacation I presume. Anyway keep in touch! I may do a pre-build thread shortly for the 32 and would like to hear your experience so far with the upgrades, ie Kessil lighting, filtration etc.
Will keep in touch for sure. I didn't have a saltwater tank for a good 8-10 years before this. Had a 60 gallon back then and a 29 Biocube. A lot has changed. Once I get the ATO down, going to look into protein skimmers. I have corals in already and they are my #1 focus right now. Has been a challenge though compared to the 60 gallon.

Oldsman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been really happy w our biocube 32 , space wont allow a larger tank so this fits perfectly. Ours still has the top w stock LED lights, so evap is nill. The only changes I've made was replacing the stock return pump for more control, installing both the intank media/ fuge baskets and a Nero 3 wavemaker. I have mostly lps so heavy flow isn't needed .
Hope your gonna start a build thread !

OP
OP
wrz0170

wrz0170

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been really happy w our biocube 32 , space wont allow a larger tank so this fits perfectly. Ours still has the top w stock LED lights, so evap is nill. The only changes I've made was replacing the stock return pump for more control, installing both the intank media/ fuge baskets and a Nero 3 wavemaker. I have mostly lps so heavy flow isn't needed .
Hope your gonna start a build thread !
Very soon I hope! Putting together the shopping list. Would love to see a pic of your tank.

Oldsman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here ya go ! Our duncan frag is looking sad, moved onto rack to keep better eye on it , just a few lps and fish lol 20210623_181317.jpg

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

William
I have a nanocube, which is nearly identical to the biocube, only the back chambers are open and uncovered (so more evaporation than a biocube), and it’s been a dry 95-100° here the past few weeks and even then, I’m only needing to top off a cup or two of water a week. I could probably go a month without really running into trouble (getting too salty, or the return chamber running dry). So, you can get an ATO if you want to (I’d recommend the JBJ nano, just because it’s tiny and real-estate in the back chambers is very limited), but IMO it’s really not necessary. I’d get the tank going and just see what kind of evaporation you get, and then if you do decide to get an ATO, get it up and running at least a month before you leave so you can trouble shoot it and make sure it’s running reliably.

Oldsman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Thank you for sharing! You have any upgrades planned? Still working on that shopping list :)
Thanks ! I haven't decided on any further updates , thought about going topless w a prime light..but then a case of MAW kicks in. Ive really been watching parameters closer since my lps is always fluffy but not growing more heads..most have been in tank a few months . The newest is the 2 acan frags in front and their super puffy and eating but no growth yet .
Fun part shopping , some items ya won't need till after the cycle and once ya move into corals . I trying to stick w the KISS method lol

Nevada Wiseguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks ! I haven't decided on any further updates , thought about going topless w a prime light..but then a case of MAW kicks in. Ive really been watching parameters closer since my lps is always fluffy but not growing more heads..most have been in tank a few months . The newest is the 2 acan frags in front and their super puffy and eating but no growth yet .
Fun part shopping , some items ya won't need till after the cycle and once ya move into corals . I trying to stick w the KISS method lol
I almost got the prime, but the disco ball effect is real. I got the Kessil a360x instead. Way more pricier and I wish the WiFi app had more preset settings, but love the shimmer and no disco ball effect at all.

OP
OP
wrz0170

wrz0170

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nanocube, which is nearly identical to the biocube, only the back chambers are open and uncovered (so more evaporation than a biocube), and it’s been a dry 95-100° here the past few weeks and even then, I’m only needing to top off a cup or two of water a week. I could probably go a month without really running into trouble (getting too salty, or the return chamber running dry). So, you can get an ATO if you want to (I’d recommend the JBJ nano, just because it’s tiny and real-estate in the back chambers is very limited), but IMO it’s really not necessary. I’d get the tank going and just see what kind of evaporation you get, and then if you do decide to get an ATO, get it up and running at least a month before you leave so you can trouble shoot it and make sure it’s running reliably.
Thank you for your insight! It def helps but like you said, I won’t know until It gets going to see what it does.

OP
OP
wrz0170

wrz0170

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost got the prime, but the disco ball effect is real. I got the Kessil a360x instead. Way more pricier and I wish the WiFi app had more preset settings, but love the shimmer and no disco ball effect at all.
The Kessil is right up there along with Steve’s LEDs On my list. I’m sort of torn of sticking with the hood and the sleek look, keeping evaporation low but possibly add fans to ensure temps are stable. To open tank with with something like the kessil and that shimmer but faster evaporation like you’re experiencing. Like a moth to a flame with the shimmer I guess. Lol.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back