Biocube 32 Vacationing ATOs

Nevada Wiseguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Kessil is right up there along with Steve’s LEDs On my list. I’m sort of torn of sticking with the hood and the sleek look, keeping evaporation low but possibly add fans to ensure temps are stable. To open tank with with something like the kessil and that shimmer but faster evaporation like you’re experiencing. Like a moth to a flame with the shimmer I guess. Lol.
I just bought the Tunze 3155 ATO and plan on opening up the back and changing the adjustment dial to the nano setting (easter egg). Hopefully the evaporation won't as much as an issue. I woke up this morning and my return pump was almost dry and I thought I had enough in it to last another day or so. Had to manually fill it back up this morning with RODI water I bought from a lrs.

OP
OP
wrz0170

wrz0170

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought the Tunze 3155 ATO and plan on opening up the back and changing the adjustment dial to the nano setting (easter egg). Hopefully the evaporation won't as much as an issue. I woke up this morning and my return pump was almost dry and I thought I had enough in it to last another day or so. Had to manually fill it back up this morning with RODI water I bought from a lrs.
Look forward to hearing your report card on the Tunze 3155. . What size reservoir will you be using ?

Nevada Wiseguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look forward to hearing your report card on the Tunze 3155. . What size reservoir will you be using ?
I got a Blue Life 5 gallon square jug. Fits nicely under the biocube hidden in the stand. If that doesn't work out, I plan on getting a 10 gallon and hiding it in furniture next to the tank.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! First post! Quick backstory. Been out the hobby for about 15 years where we tended to a 75g. Now exploring the idea of something smaller and see where reef keeping tech has evolved since. Who knows, maybe a Biocube 32 build thread may be forthcoming! So one of our chief concerns was going on vacation and we don’t want to burden someone with tending to the tank. With that in mind, those of you with the 32s, what do you have in place for that piece of mind? Let’s say for a good week. 5g or 10g reservoir? Which ATO? With the top on or those of you without? Here in Nevada, it’s very dry so evaporation rate would be higher without the top I would assume. Thank you for entertaining my questions!

William
I use an auto aqua lite or Duetto. The Duetto has more safety features but they’re very similar. I have a 10g and 20g that go through 5 gallons a week. Every house is so different and winter to summer also greatchanges things. It’s easy enough to figure out after a week or two.. I would be shocked if you went through 10 gallons in a week so I would just get a reservoir of some sort (or an empty 10g tank) and just use that.

for peace of mind consider an Apex. I can see what’s going on in my tank and make some adjustments from anywhere. I have a flow meter on my ATO so even though it’s not built into Apex per se, I can monitor if it clicked on through the power usage of the outlet and I can also get a general sense of water flow from the ATO to tank.

Personally I like the Neptune Apex feeder. I’ve never had any issues with it because I use uniformly sized pellets. It is loud but who cares if you’re on vacation? I actually have 2 and will alternate feedings and times and they last

OP
OP
wrz0170

wrz0170

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an auto aqua lite or Duetto. The Duetto has more safety features but they’re very similar. I have a 10g and 20g that go through 5 gallons a week. Every house is so different and winter to summer also greatchanges things. It’s easy enough to figure out after a week or two.. I would be shocked if you went through 10 gallons in a week so I would just get a reservoir of some sort (or an empty 10g tank) and just use that.

for peace of mind consider an Apex. I can see what’s going on in my tank and make some adjustments from anywhere. I have a flow meter on my ATO so even though it’s not built into Apex per se, I can monitor if it clicked on through the power usage of the outlet and I can also get a general sense of water flow from the ATO to tank.

Personally I like the Neptune Apex feeder. I’ve never had any issues with it because I use uniformly sized pellets. It is loud but who cares if you’re on vacation? I actually have 2 and will alternate feedings and times and they last
Thank you! Good stuff!

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in VA and have a 40 cube. I'm running an icecap ato and have a 5 gal jug for a container. On average I go through 2.5-3 gallons a week. As far as lid I have a mesh lid.
I'm also in VA with a 32 Biocube. With the lid on I go through approximately 1/2 pint per week at 79 degrees. I use an IceCap ATO and it has been flawless for 17 months.

OP
OP
wrz0170

wrz0170

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also in VA with a 32 Biocube. With the lid on I go through approximately 1/2 pint per week at 79 degrees. I use an IceCap ATO and it has been flawless for 17 months.
I’ve been running the top off with a mesh lid. Hydros ATO and 5 gal reservoir. Happy to say I’m on day 12 and I still have about 1.25 gal left. 10 hours of lights and we run our house at 75. We’ve been in the 90+ range outside. Very happy about that.

Back