BioCube 32 vs Red Sea Max E-170

Roxpics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have had numerous freshwater tanks BC (before children). Now I'm retired and would like to fulfill my dream of a reef tank. Of course cost is always an issue but at the same time I don't want to have to replace right away either. So I'm looking at getting either the Red Sea or Biocube. Opinions?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The red sea is dramatically more expensive. For the price of that red sea tank you could make an extremely nice custom tank. Biocube 32 is a nice tank for the price and greater for starters. I am a fan of Red Sea but their smaller tanks don't have the best bang for your buck. However, I will say that red sea tanks do look quite luxurious.

Last edited:

M3d1C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both have their benefits and drawbacks. The Biocube is a good standalone AIO tank and it comes with a nice fitting lid. The LED light doesn't offer much in the way of providing enough light for SPS corals but Steve's LEDs makes one hell of an upgrade for it if you get to that point. The E170 on the other hand is an open top and comes with dang near everything including expansion slots on the power bank and plumbing at the back of tank should you want to add a sump. Drawback of course is the initial investment of the biocube is much smaller than the E170 but, like I said it's all in how long you stay in the hobby and the goals you wish to shoot for. BRStv has some great videos on the E170.

OP
OP
R

Roxpics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thought about putting together my own tank but the cost seems to come in at that $1,600. range. I'm open to any and all ideas

OP
OP
R

Roxpics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The red sea is dramatically more expensive. For the price of that red sea tank you could make an extremely nice custom tank. Biocube 32 is a nice tank for the price and greater for starters. I am a fan of Red Sea but their smaller tanks don't have the best bang for your buck. However, I will say that red sea tanks do look quite luxurious.
I have thought about putting together my own tank but the cost seems to come in at that $1,600. range. I'm open to any and all ideas

OP
OP
R

Roxpics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both have their benefits and drawbacks. The Biocube is a good standalone AIO tank and it comes with a nice fitting lid. The LED light doesn't offer much in the way of providing enough light for SPS corals but Steve's LEDs makes one hell of an upgrade for it if you get to that point. The E170 on the other hand is an open top and comes with dang near everything including expansion slots on the power bank and plumbing at the back of tank should you want to add a sump. Drawback of course is the initial investment of the biocube is much smaller than the E170 but, like I said it's all in how long you stay in the hobby and the goals you wish to shoot for. BRStv has some great videos on the E170.
I want to be in it for the long run but I have so many questions!
How much time a week will I spend maintaining?
Will I need a fish sitter if I go out of town for a few weeks?
I know I'll have add on costs, but how do I keep those numbers down
What about the reverse osmosis/ DI is it really necessary to have in my home? Will it prove a good investment?

M3d1C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try not to consider a fish sitter until you have the tank and get a feel for the maintenance, feeding and needs of the inhabitants. You also can alleviate a lot of worry and needs with a controller like an Apex as you go down the line and figure out your own needs. My wife and I are in the same boat as you in deciding between the Red Sea and Biocube. I have a 90 in storage but I don't want to set that up till we know we are staying somewhere for a while. If nothing else, maybe give some consideration to the Biocube due to the price and get your feet wet there first. 350 bucks to find out if you like the hobby and want to invest in it both time and money wise is a lot better than 1800 just to find out it might be too much.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30-50 gallon. The area it will go is 2 feet length. The dimensions of the Max E-170 would be perfect so anything in that range

I set up my 75g for less so you can definitely work in that range. However, biocubes are great for starters and you can easily upgrade it with a better light and maybe a hang on back refugium. I have no complaints about biocubes other than the amount of white lights they use in their hood compared to blue

Madonia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I can go back in time, I don’t think I would get the biocube 32. I bought it in late December and have already made many upgrades.

I would likely choose a setup that has a sump because there’s much more you can do for it and overall filtration is better. Also it’s much easier to work with a sump than stick your entire hand to the back of the filter.

I know the All in one setups look and sound appealing, but I believe you will (very quickly) find yourself wishing you would have pursued a sump setup.

in addition, I’ve spent ALOT of money on upgrades to the biocube. Custom lights, skimmer (which is difficult to find a decent one for the biocube), media baskets, UV light, etc. I could’ve likely done a custom setup, with a sump, and everything else for much cheaper.

OP
OP
R

Roxpics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try not to consider a fish sitter until you have the tank and get a feel for the maintenance, feeding and needs of the inhabitants. You also can alleviate a lot of worry and needs with a controller like an Apex as you go down the line and figure out your own needs. My wife and I are in the same boat as you in deciding between the Red Sea and Biocube. I have a 90 in storage but I don't want to set that up till we know we are staying somewhere for a while. If nothing else, maybe give some consideration to the Biocube due to the price and get your feet wet there first. 350 bucks to find out if you like the hobby and want to invest in it both time and money wise is a lot better than 1800 just to find out it might be too much.
If I can go back in time, I don’t think I would get the biocube 32. I bought it in late December and have already made many upgrades.

I would likely choose a setup that has a sump because there’s much more you can do for it and overall filtration is better. Also it’s much easier to work with a sump than stick your entire hand to the back of the filter.

I know the All in one setups look and sound appealing, but I believe you will (very quickly) find yourself wishing you would have pursued a sump setup.

in addition, I’ve spent ALOT of money on upgrades to the biocube. Custom lights, skimmer (which is difficult to find a decent one for the biocube), media baskets, UV light, etc. I could’ve likely done a custom setup, with a sump, and everything else for much cheaper.
So do you think you have over $1,400 in it? The Red Sea is $1600 and plumbed for a sump. Also 45g with amazing lighting. It seems that it would be easy to make any further updates.

OP
OP
R

Roxpics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sound advice.

OP
OP
R

Roxpics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The Red Sea Reefer 170, 35g, has a sump, lighting, height skimmer? ready for a refugium. Do you think this would be a better tank at $1,450

Madonia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do you think you have over $1,400 in it? The Red Sea is $1600 and plumbed for a sump. Also 45g with amazing lighting. It seems that it would be easy to make any further updates.
I’ll break down all the upgrades/extras that I actually use (for both you, and for myself...because I’ve never actually done it)

tunezee automatic top off was donated to me. But will normally run at least 150 (not a necessity)

Heater: 29
Intank media basket (improvement from original that comes with tank): 69
UV sterilizer (not a necessity): 45
Skimmer (not a necessity): 150
Digital thermometer: 8
New LEDs (biocube LEDs can’t grow certain coral): 375
3 power heads: 135

Approx 800 above. Biocube and the stand were approx 400. So 1200 (before cost of any rock, sand, coral, fish....before coat of any chemicals, salt, testing equipment, food).

for coral and fish alone I’ve prob spent about 1000.

this hobby is expensive. I’d go with a system that You plan on keeping for a long time and that you can get great years out of. I am already very limited by the biocube (especially regarding types of fish I can stock). I’d go with the bigger option.

OP
OP
R

Roxpics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll break down all the upgrades/extras that I actually use (for both you, and for myself...because I’ve never actually done it)

tunezee automatic top off was donated to me. But will normally run at least 150 (not a necessity)

Heater: 29
Intank media basket (improvement from original that comes with tank): 69
UV sterilizer (not a necessity): 45
Skimmer (not a necessity): 150
Digital thermometer: 8
New LEDs (biocube LEDs can’t grow certain coral): 375
3 power heads: 135

Approx 800 above. Biocube and the stand were approx 400. So 1200 (before cost of any rock, sand, coral, fish....before coat of any chemicals, salt, testing equipment, food).

for coral and fish alone I’ve prob spent about 1000.

this hobby is expensive. I’d go with a system that You plan on keeping for a long time and that you can get great years out of. I am already very limited by the biocube (especially regarding types of fish I can stock). I’d go with the bigger option.
OK, Thanks for that. I think I'll save some more money and try to go larger maybe the 70g.

Madonia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biocube is GENERALLY good for someone who is starting in the hobby and looking to ‘dabble’ with some salt water experiences. But whose on the fence in regards to how long/how invested they’ll be with the hobby.

Don’t get me wrong- I’ve seen some great looking biocubes growing high end coral. But not without massive upgrades (new lights (most important) , skimmer, possibly modifying it for a sump install, etc.)

If I had to redo it, I wouldn’t do the biocube because 1. 32 gallons is too small for the fish I want. 2. Needs to be modified way too much in order to accomplish what I want.

OP
OP
R

Roxpics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biocube is GENERALLY good for someone who is starting in the hobby and looking to ‘dabble’ with some salt water experiences. But whose on the fence in regards to how long/how invested they’ll be with the hobby.

Don’t get me wrong- I’ve seen some great looking biocubes growing high end coral. But not without massive upgrades (new lights (most important) , skimmer, possibly modifying it for a sump install, etc.)

If I had to redo it, I wouldn’t do the biocube because 1. 32 gallons is too small for the fish I want. 2. Needs to be modified way too much in order to accomplish what I want.
When I was doing freshwater I had 5 tanks going 65g, 20g, 10 g breeder, 10g quarantine and 10g plant quarantine . So I feel that I'll be in for the long run I just want to be smart and buy once and not end up like last time and have 5 tanks. If I would have started with the 65g I could have saved loads of cash!
So thank you for the break down it gives my a lot to think about and has helped my r/o the biocube now I'll think about the reefer and the 70g Max-E

rfgonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't help you decide what tank to go with since I have no experience with the Red sea. However I can tell you with a 32 Bio cube you don't need any fancy bell and whistle upgrades unless you get into SPS. You can grow softies and LPS with stock everything. No need for a single upgrade with proper husbandry. My 11 year old daughter has been growing LPS for over 2 years now with more growth then the tank is big enough for. Only Filtration is change out filter floss once per week. She has 4 fish in the tank 1 firefish, 1 green chromis, 1 clown and a royal gramma. the Bio load is easy to take care of this way. We might do a water change once a month. IMO I think it is a great first tank or a great tank for anyone not wanting to spend a ton of money.

TheStrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking in the 40-50 gallon range for something in between all in one and with enough grow out potential for a little more than a biocube could handle and found SCAquariums. I've been nothing but happy with everything so far. The price was great for a basic all in one setup and the owner Steve has been beyond amazing for customer service. There are a lot of threads here you can search for about them and you'll generally see that people are happy with them if its a direction you consider going.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back