BioCube 32 Water Level

Hiker64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm trying to understand my water level.

Current setup is heater in chamber 1. Intank media rack with floss and phosgard on 1st shelf, carbon on 2nd shelf, purigen on bottom shelf along with Intank fuge and chateo in chamber 2. Stock pump and temp probe in chamber 3.

I have created a line with duct tape on the back glass after getting my salinity to 35ppt. However as my floss becomes dirty the level drops below my mark. Changing floss every other day. Pretty sure it's not evaporation because it dropped ~3/8" in 2 days and the salinity didn't change.

What am I doing wrong? Would like to experiment with an ATO in the future but it wouldn't be possible with this variation.

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s backing up into the tank because the floss is blocking the water from flowing through. If you check your tanks water level with and without the floss or whatever else is blocking it , you’ll notice the difference.

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 3/8 drop in a back chamber isn’t much water and could be evaporation. Before I got an ato if I let to much water evaporate the water in the chambers would get loud. A 3/8 drop in level may not be enough to cause a significant enough change in salinity to notice.

Also I’ve always kept my level higher than the max level mark on my 29g biocube. It’s a lot quieter and there is no issue doing it. I like to keep the level just below the spill over cutout between chambers 2 and 3.

An ato is going to add significant stability to your system. I was adding a half a gallon every morning to keep up with evaporation. Of course I removed my hood so that was a contributing factor to loosing more water.

OP
OP
Hiker64

Hiker64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 3/8 drop in a back chamber isn’t much water and could be evaporation. Before I got an ato if I let to much water evaporate the water in the chambers would get loud. A 3/8 drop in level may not be enough to cause a significant enough change in salinity to notice.

Also I’ve always kept my level higher than the max level mark on my 29g biocube. It’s a lot quieter and there is no issue doing it. I like to keep the level just below the spill over cutout between chambers 2 and 3.

An ato is going to add significant stability to your system. I was adding a half a gallon every morning to keep up with evaporation. Of course I removed my hood so that was a contributing factor to loosing more water.

I'll try raising the level in the morning. Right now it's a couple of inches below the divider

NanoNuvo16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem with my 32, the pump is pumping water out of chamber 3 faster than the water is coming into chamber 2. Mine was caused by the filter pad restricting the flow just like yours. And eventually would overflow the first chamber of my media basket. If it's not already, try lowering your water level just below the first divider in the media basket. This is what solved my issue.

OP
OP
Hiker64

Hiker64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem with my 32, the pump is pumping water out of chamber 3 faster than the water is coming into chamber 2. Mine was caused by the filter pad restricting the flow just like yours. And eventually would overflow the first chamber of my media basket. If it's not already, try lowering your water level just below the first divider in the media basket. This is what solved my issue.
Thanks, I'll give it a try

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this tread is very old however in case someone comes across it... when using the InTank media tank you do not need to keep a line... if your tank has a max line (the new 32’s do not) you just need to keep chambers 2and 3 to the bottom of the first InTank media slot that holds the floss... Do this by adding water to the 2nd chamber WITH the pump running.... it will allow the level to go up to the proper point and because you are using the InTank media rack (bottom of top shelf) as your reference point no need to make any marks on the tank... just simply do you top offs with your RO/DI water (no salt) it’s very easy and quick to check daily and takes about 3 seconds... you just make sure that the water is still at the proper point on the InTank media rack and that’s it.....
I’m not sure how the OP has her trays set up but you should really only keep floss in the top chamber and use the other chambers for your other media.... if you have larger media or too much media it won’t flow properly so they recommend tying the larger bags to one of the holes in the chamber above it to pick it up off the floor.... for example I will use floss on the top, then purigen in the second slot (tilt it diagonally so it can still flow through it) and then on the bottom rack chemipure elite... the chemipure elite (for my tank) will need to be tied up because I use the roughly 11oz bag and it’s a fair size... so it is tied up to one of the holes on the rack above it (the one with the purigen in it)

If you put too much stuff in it or the water can’t get through the holes properly it will back up... i think from what the OP has posted that this is most likely the problem....
Your salinity won’t change because it’s evaporated water... salt does not evaporate... just the water does so that’s why you need to make sure your top offs are done with plain RO/DI water...
InTank has some great videos on their site explaining all of this...

As I said I apologize to the OP as I know this is old but this stuff still comes up when people are googling looking for answers so I thought this may help a bit

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this tread is very old however in case someone comes across it... when using the InTank media tank you do not need to keep a line... if your tank has a max line (the new 32’s do not) you just need to keep chambers 2and 3 to the bottom of the first InTank media slot that holds the floss... Do this by adding water to the 2nd chamber WITH the pump running.... it will allow the level to go up to the proper point and because you are using the InTank media rack (bottom of top shelf) as your reference point no need to make any marks on the tank... just simply do you top offs with your RO/DI water (no salt) it’s very easy and quick to check daily and takes about 3 seconds... you just make sure that the water is still at the proper point on the InTank media rack and that’s it.....
I’m not sure how the OP has her trays set up but you should really only keep floss in the top chamber and use the other chambers for your other media.... if you have larger media or too much media it won’t flow properly so they recommend tying the larger bags to one of the holes in the chamber above it to pick it up off the floor.... for example I will use floss on the top, then purigen in the second slot (tilt it diagonally so it can still flow through it) and then on the bottom rack chemipure elite... the chemipure elite (for my tank) will need to be tied up because I use the roughly 11oz bag and it’s a fair size... so it is tied up to one of the holes on the rack above it (the one with the purigen in it)

If you put too much stuff in it or the water can’t get through the holes properly it will back up... i think from what the OP has posted that this is most likely the problem....
Your salinity won’t change because it’s evaporated water... salt does not evaporate... just the water does so that’s why you need to make sure your top offs are done with plain RO/DI water...
InTank has some great videos on their site explaining all of this...

As I said I apologize to the OP as I know this is old but this stuff still comes up when people are googling looking for answers so I thought this may help a bit
That is exactly what I was trying to find out. Thank you.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back