Biocube filter

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I recently set up my first tank. A biocube 32. It's currently cycling. The only filter media it came with was a filter sponge and a filter cartridge. Should I add anything else to the media basket or does it matter that much? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had a 29 bio cube I ran heater in first section then rubble rock in middle and carbon once in a great while if lazy on water changes. Small enough tank to not worry about any filtration other than live rock and sand.

OP
OP
Big_Mclargehuge

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had a 29 bio cube I ran heater in first section then rubble rock in middle and carbon once in a great while if lazy on water changes. Small enough tank to not worry about any filtration other than live rock and sand.
Thanks. That's kind of what I was getting from things I've read.

Grimreefer89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just my 2 sense but in my biocube i used an intank media basket with filter floss, chemipure blue, and had a fuge beside it in the 2nd chamber. my wife has it now and does the same with seahorses just no fuge now. the media basket is pricey but honestly it forces water through the filter so much better and imho its the best upgrade besides lighting for that tank. good luck it was my first tank as well and id bet you'll upgrade in few months so don't blow to much on that thing. lol

OP
OP
Big_Mclargehuge

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just my 2 sense but in my biocube i used an intank media basket with filter floss, chemipure blue, and had a fuge beside it in the 2nd chamber. my wife has it now and does the same with seahorses just no fuge now. the media basket is pricey but honestly it forces water through the filter so much better and imho its the best upgrade besides lighting for that tank. good luck it was my first tank as well and id bet you'll upgrade in few months so don't blow to much on that thing. lol
What's the difference between the rack thing that comes with the biocube and a media basket? Is a media basket more closed off? I don't really get what the difference is. Thanks.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the difference between the rack thing that comes with the biocube and a media basket? Is a media basket more closed off? I don't really get what the difference is. Thanks.
Those intank baskets are really well made not cheap plastic. Ultimately, it serves the same purpose but those intank baskets are worth it.

Grimreefer89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes it is closed off on four sides but the bottom is open. when your filter starts to clog the water level in the media basket will be higher to the point of over flowing (not out of the tank though) and was always my indicator when i NEEDED to change it. heres the link if you want to check it out its pricey but honestly worth it.

OP
OP
Big_Mclargehuge

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes it is closed off on four sides but the bottom is open. when your filter starts to clog the water level in the media basket will be higher to the point of over flowing (not out of the tank though) and was always my indicator when i NEEDED to change it. heres the link if you want to check it out its pricey but honestly worth it.

I may have filled my tank up incorrectly. I keep reading and seeing peoples pics and the three chambers have different water levels. Mine is the same from the filter area to the rest of the tank. I just fixed it in the display until it was just under the rim. I hope I didn't screw up and fill it too much. Here are some pics.

IMG_20200523_213100988.jpg IMG_20200523_213022725.jpg IMG_20200523_212943766.jpg IMG_20200523_213047459.jpg IMG_20200523_213010702.jpg IMG_20200523_212943766.jpg IMG_20200523_212958589.jpg

Grimreefer89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no you didn't screw it up just remember or mark where your water line is so you can add fresh water to it and maintain your salinity. as far as what levels to keep in the chambers i always kept my 2nd chamber half full and the third should be the same as the second. it makes the water actually fall through the filter. BUT this was with the intank media basket. sorry it took so long to get back to you i work a crazy schedule.

OP
OP
Big_Mclargehuge

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no you didn't screw it up just remember or mark where your water line is so you can add fresh water to it and maintain your salinity. as far as what levels to keep in the chambers i always kept my 2nd chamber half full and the third should be the same as the second. it makes the water actually fall through the filter. BUT this was with the intank media basket. sorry it took so long to get back to you i work a crazy schedule.
No problem at all. Thanks for the marking my water level advice I wouldn't have thought about that. I lowered some of the water in the second and third chamber and it's definitely flowing through better. I will probably lower it a little more. Thanks again

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back