Biocube Reboot!!

Blindzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
So I have 1 1/2 old Biocube 29. All fish and corals are doing fantastic, but I have been battling bubble algae for several months. It is to the point that 80 90% of all the rock is covered in it. I do weekly 5 gallon water changes with rodi water and have been doing Vibrant for 2 months and have had no changes. I started out with all Reef Saver dry rock so I'm figuring that it came in with a coral. Lesson learned, I will be dipping anything new that comes in the new set up. So my new plan is to order all new dry rock and start over. I actually picked up a used Biocube 32 in excellent shape yesterday If I'm tearing it down I might as well go a bit bigger right?? It will fit perfectly in the custom stand I built for the 29.

So here is my plan, any advice would be great. I will be curing the dryrock in a tub with a powerhead and heater. Will use Turbostart like I did with the original set up. It worked well. Will probably let that go for 2-3 weeks testing as it goes. Once that is ready I will move my 29 off the custom stand to the Biocube stand that I got with the 32 yesterday. Put the new 32 on the stand. Will move the fish and inverts over slowly. My questions start with the corals as most have bubble algae on the rocks or disk they are on (oh, did I mention I somehow got flatworms the last few weeks!!) I have treated the tank for the worms, but some are still hanging on. I will be treating for those a couple times over the next few weeks. So what would you all suggest for moving the corals (Softies, LPS, SPS and zoo's) over to the new tank. I figure I will be doing some dips, just not sure what to use at this time.

Thank you all!

Last edited:

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bubble algae is a natural occurring algae not hitchhiker not something you can avoid like aptasia . if your using vibrant an seeing no effect I would say there isn't enough export happening when you use vibrant thus it keeps coming back. instead of relying solely on vibrant get in there an pluck it out when ur doing water changes an siphon the ones that get away from you
bubble algae in my opinion is the best algae to get if you were able to choose which for an outbreak
as for your plans to tank swap I would use the current tank as a qt tank an nothing would go in the new tank that wasn't free of flatworms. period

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back