Biocube32, protein skimmer and return pump upgrade?

Circa916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all this is my first post so if I screw something up I apologize in advance. Im fairly new to this hobby, been running freshwater all my life and just recently decided to try my hand at a saltwater tank. Needless to say I have already found out how addicting this whole thing can be lol. Tank has been running for approximately 4 months give or take. I have removed the hood and added an AI Prime Hd, tunze nano ato, 2 hydor circulation pumps and controller (which need to be upgraded) and some random protein skimmer my lfs recommend that is literally the loudest part of my tank and barely produces anything other than some discolored water so I run it only at night for fear my old lady will end up breaking something cause of the noise.
I guess I am looking for recommendations as far as a solid (quiet) protein skimmer and a new return pump seeing as how the stock biocube pump is fairly weak and I want more flow in the tank. Ive tried adjusting the hydor's multiple times and all I seem to do is tick off the corals. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_1488.jpg

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Saltwater. It truly is addicting! Looks like you're coming along quite nicely there already!

Which chamber are you looking to put the skimmer in? More options in chamber 2 but you need to modify a little for them to fit.

You cant go wrong with either a Cobalt MJ1200 or Sicce 1.5 for the return. I've run both on my 32 but stuck with the Sicce.

An MP-10 is a great powerhead choice for the 32 whenever you decide to upgrade from the Hydors. Lots of varying flow patterns to choose from.

OP
OP
Circa916

Circa916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Saltwater. It truly is addicting! Looks like you're coming along quite nicely there already!

Which chamber are you looking to put the skimmer in? More options in chamber 2 but you need to modify a little for them to fit.

You cant go wrong with either a Cobalt MJ1200 or Sicce 1.5 for the return. I've run both on my 32 but stuck with the Sicce.

An MP-10 is a great powerhead choice for the 32 whenever you decide to upgrade from the Hydors. Lots of varying flow patterns to choose from.
I currently have the skimmer in chamber 1 but am totally open to adjusting as needed if it means I can get better function out of it. Does your 1.5 considerably stronger than the stock? I had my eye on the 2.0 but didnt know if it would fit or not. I have been looking at the mp10 and will definitely be buying one here shortly!

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 1.5 provides a noticeable jump from the stock pump and fits perfectly. The 2.0 might be a tad too much. As it is with 1.5 aimed towards the surface I'm bouncing flow off the front glass. I also noticed a slight uptick in water flow/trickling noise as it pushes water through the system. It's not loud by any stretch but being in our bedroom I do notice it sometimes at night.

The skimmer is a challenge in the biocubes. There's really only 2 choices for chamber two that I'd consider. The Tunze 9001 or the Icecap K2-50. Ive used both and like the Icecap a lot more. I was just never able to get any sort of consistency out of the Tunze though many folks say theirs works great.

Take a look at the "In Tank" add on's and modifications. You would need to do a little more modding for the Icecap Vs. Tunze but this video gives the gist of it.

Check out this video on YouTube:

OP
OP
Circa916

Circa916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 1.5 provides a noticeable jump from the stock pump and fits perfectly. The 2.0 might be a tad too much. As it is with 1.5 aimed towards the surface I'm bouncing flow off the front glass. I also noticed a slight uptick in water flow/trickling noise as it pushes water through the system. It's not loud by any stretch but being in our bedroom I do notice it sometimes at night.

The skimmer is a challenge in the biocubes. There's really only 2 choices for chamber two that I'd consider. The Tunze 9001 or the Icecap K2-50. Ive used both and like the Icecap a lot more. I was just never able to get any sort of consistency out of the Tunze though many folks say theirs works great.

Take a look at the "In Tank" add on's and modifications. You would need to do a little more modding for the Icecap Vs. Tunze but this video gives the gist of it.

Check out this video on YouTube:

Oh wow, yeh I wouldn’t want it pulling too much seeing as how my ato sensor is in chamber 3. Gonna go ahead and order that 1.5 then. Have you heard anything about the eshopps nano skimmer?

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't... Is Hang on Back an option for you since you're running topless or do you want to keep it IN the back chambers? That might open up some other options for you.

seaplane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice looking tank. Have you considered adding a sump? I added a 20g sump to my 29g Biocube, best move I've ever made. The extra water volume and space for an efficient skimmer and refugium has made a big difference.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+ 1 Really like Sicce 1.5; gives significant increase in flow over stock pump and is very quiet. I also added an Intank media basket (probably best thing I've ever done) and use the Aquaticlife 115 in second chamber, suspended by an acrylic coated magnet, so no cutting or squeezing in. Finally, have my water parameters where I want them and maintenance is easy.

Good luck.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have 2 MP40s in my 75 gal and would love an MP10 in my biocube 32 ... where did you place yours? With the back wall out I was looking at directional options.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 MP40s in my 75 gal and would love an MP10 in my biocube 32 ... where did you place yours? With the back wall out I was looking at directional options.
I have mine placed on the right hand pane (looking at the tank) about 1/3 of the way down more toward the front pane. Pushes water along the front glass and back around towards the overflow grates. My rock isnt pressed against the back wall and has multiple routes for water to pass. 1st shot through left pane towards right for placement. 2nd shot you can kind of see the swimthroughs for flow.

A0C253E3-54E0-4CD2-AEC0-2DFB59DF6151.jpeg

2860F5AE-F23E-42D6-B6E2-BDA8DA491A29.jpeg

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+ 1 Really like Sicce 1.5; gives significant increase in flow over stock pump and is very quiet. I also added an Intank media basket (probably best thing I've ever done) and use the Aquaticlife 115 in second chamber, suspended by an acrylic coated magnet, so no cutting or squeezing in. Finally, have my water parameters where I want them and maintenance is easy.

Good luck.
Are you running yours with or without the lid? I couldn't get the aquatic life skimmer to work with the lid closed to save my life, although I had it in chamber 1. It kept overflowing. When I tried to raise it high enough to prevent over
flow I couldn't close the lid.

Garrett Keller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine placed on the right hand pane (looking at the tank) about 1/3 of the way down more toward the front pane. Pushes water along the front glass and back around towards the overflow grates. My rock isnt pressed against the back wall and has multiple routes for water to pass. 1st shot through left pane towards right for placement. 2nd shot you can kind of see the swimthroughs for flow.

A0C253E3-54E0-4CD2-AEC0-2DFB59DF6151.jpeg

2860F5AE-F23E-42D6-B6E2-BDA8DA491A29.jpeg
What lighting are you using? I was told the stock lighting would only grow LPS and softies.

ArifTurzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I upgraded my biocube 32 pump with sicce 1.5, one icecap gyre 1k and Steve led. The recent problem I am facing is there is not enough water in my second chamber. I am using one intank media basket and one one intank fuge basket in the second chamber. But the water level is too low. Please help

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I upgraded my biocube 32 pump with sicce 1.5, one icecap gyre 1k and Steve led. The recent problem I am facing is there is not enough water in my second chamber. I am using one intank media basket and one one intank fuge basket in the second chamber. But the water level is too low. Please help
It sounds like you simply need to add additional salt water to bring the level up in chambers 2 and 3. My system runs with chambers 2 and 3 about 3/4’s full. Water level is an inch or two above the side view window of the return chamber if that makes sense? You could probably go even higher I simply chose that height so my skimmer functions best.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back