biodiversity in FOWLR systems, how are you getting it?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
setting by the fire on this cold cold Dec. night and thinking....how do fish only systems get biodiversity in the tank?

I plan on using dry rock and sand. no frag plugs to get it. all tho i might try to macros but the tangs will prob. eat them.
I hope to culture white worms so some soil will no doubt will get in the tank.

but as a huge fan of biodiversity how does it work in FOWLR?

I know I can add a piece ot 2 of real live rock or some live sand think its helpful?
do the risk out weight the benefits?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding sand, rock, and biomedia from my reef tank. Today I got some new corals and saved many good hitchhikers that I also added to my FOWLR. I guess if you don't have that try and buy rock from different stores or people.
I did get aiptasia but then I was thinking of getting a butterfly anyway. I mean what's the point of a fowlr without getting some fish I couldn't put with corals.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may get surprised that the biodiversity is bigger than you think, even without corals.
You can add inverts, a variety of them. My tank was already a few years old, when I discovered brittle stars hidden in the sand, and then asterina stars. I have some indesirable algae, by many people standards, but I do not really mind. There are also some algae which are unpalatable to fish, and that you could add even with tang.
My rocks are constantly changing colors, depending on which coraline is extending, from lite purple to deep red. You also will get sponges, and some other creatures, more or less desirable depending on whom you ask.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding sand, rock, and biomedia from my reef tank. Today I got some new corals and saved many good hitchhikers that I also added to my FOWLR. I guess if you don't have that try and buy rock from different stores or people.
I did get aiptasia but then I was thinking of getting a butterfly anyway. I mean what's the point of a fowlr without getting some fish I couldn't put with corals.
I will have another tank a sea horse tank that will have live ocean direct gorgs. I could add the frag plug.
my FOWLR will be a butterfly domanate tank so I hope aiptasia will not be a problem. :)

You may get surprised that the biodiversity is bigger than you think, even without corals.
You can add inverts, a variety of them. My tank was already a few years old, when I discovered brittle stars hidden in the sand, and then asterina stars. I have some indesirable algae, by many people standards, but I do not really mind. There are also some algae which are unpalatable to fish, and that you could add even with tang.
My rocks are constantly changing colors, depending on which coraline is extending, from lite purple to deep red. You also will get sponges, and some other creatures, more or less desirable depending on whom you ask.
yeah there are a few macors tangs will not eat but that is going in my seahosre tank. trying to create a different look. I know it will get in there I will most likely add pods maybe some coraline from a few different tanks.

even thought about a 10# live rock shipment from either KP or TBS.
just wondering if other fish only people care about it and what they do to get it in.

Moomee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have another tank a sea horse tank that will have live ocean direct gorgs. I could add the frag plug.
my FOWLR will be a butterfly domanate tank so I hope aiptasia will not be a problem. :)

yeah there are a few macors tangs will not eat but that is going in my seahosre tank. trying to create a different look. I know it will get in there I will most likely add pods maybe some coraline from a few different tanks.

even thought about a 10# live rock shipment from either KP or TBS.
just wondering if other fish only people care about it and what they do to get it in.
This...10 lbs of KP rock will give you CRAZY biodiversity. I can't believe the things I see from mine that are still appearing after 2 months in the tank! I have a tank setup now with the KP/TBS rock seeding dry rock and sand for my future large FOWLR.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This...10 lbs of KP rock will give you CRAZY biodiversity. I can't believe the things I see from mine that are still appearing after 2 months in the tank! I have a tank setup now with the KP/TBS rock seeding dry rock and sand for my future large FOWLR.
did you get the overnight wet stuff or the dryer slower shipped rock?

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Howdy,
Ocean aquacultred live rock and sand are packed with micro-critters that will benefit your FOWLR tank. Mini brittle stars, sponges, pods, coralline, macro and worms provide snacks and a natural environment too.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,
Ocean aquacultred live rock and sand are packed with micro-critters that will benefit your FOWLR tank. Mini brittle stars, sponges, pods, coralline, macro and worms provide snacks and a natural environment too.
I have got your rock before you guys took it over. was great except it was heavy the heaviest rock I have ever seen. still useing the same rock for did you switch you a lighter rock like the FL. mined stuff?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is biodiversity?

(This isn't a retorical question, but rather its so poorly defined that I'm not sure what exactly you want)

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is biodiversity?

(This isn't a retorical question, but rather its so poorly defined that I'm not sure what exactly you want)
very good point.
helpful and beneficial micro and macro fauna to help stabilize and maintain a healthy marine environment. that is what I want. can I personally list them all and know what they do...nope I just believe its good.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very good point.
helpful and beneficial micro and macro fauna to help stabilize and maintain a healthy marine environment. that is what I want. can I personally list them all and know what they do...nope I just believe its good.

Then I think aquabiomics sand and rock would be a good option :)

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow $50 for a pound of sand and another $50 for 7 oz of of LR rubble.
but you get the DNA testing to see what you get so that is cool.

Yeah it's basically quarantined live rock from the ocean

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have got your rock before you guys took it over. was great except it was heavy the heaviest rock I have ever seen. still useing the same rock for did you switch you a lighter rock like the FL. mined stuff?
Hiya, we are harvesting both new Walt Smith rock that we planted and vintage rock that Richard planted, which is bahamian, Florida quarried rock and an assortment of others. One thing to keep in mind regarding the weight of rock, the longer it sits the more time it has to absorb lifeforms. There is some pukani on the site that is crazy heavy. The natural life cycle of organisms that live on live rock are part of the reef building process. Bivalves, worms, coralline, algaes, corals...

We did purchase a ton of the very light rock you are speaking of, let's see how it grows.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiya, we are harvesting both new Walt Smith rock that we planted and vintage rock that Richard planted, which is bahamian, Florida quarried rock and an assortment of others. One thing to keep in mind regarding the weight of rock, the longer it sits the more time it has to absorb lifeforms. There is some pukani on the site that is crazy heavy. The natural life cycle of organisms that live on live rock are part of the reef building process. Bivalves, worms, coralline, algaes, corals...

We did purchase a ton of the very light rock you are speaking of, let's see how it grows.

thanks for the replay and info!
when will you have the man made branch rock back in stock?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back