"Biodiversity is dead, long live biodiversity" 10 month microbiome data from BRStv.

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FAQ / what interesting things does aquabiomics now know/believe?
I was stuck on a long solo drive recently, so I listened to a handful of talks, interviews and Q&As that Eli Meyer of aquabiomics has given in the last year and pulled out all the interesting (to me) bits that he now knows or believes based on looking back at a couple of years of hobby data.
These are the points I found interesting, and most are semi-relevant to this discussion.

Q1: what’s the typical community composition based on? / How similar to a real reef is it?
linkQ1
The picture of the “average” tank is based on hobby - not wild reefs, because hobby tank microbiomes look very unlike real reefs.
First - the pic of typical tank is based on all the tanks in the database that are “normal” reef tanks - not experimental, not aquaculture facilities, not tanks with any bad health issues, die-offs, nor any tanks where the sampling might have given low quality data. Beyond that it’s the average of the hobby. And the hobby shows clear repeatable dominant families - which are used to mark the balance score.

Q2 how is hobby “typical” different from Real reefs?
linkQ2
Real reefs are most dominated by 3 groups in the water: the largest is pelagibacteraceae, and then 2 kinds of single cell tiny planktonic cyanobacteria.(I think this is a reference to Synechococcus and Prochlorococcus). Hobby tanks can have the pelagibacteraceae as a major component, but they are true water-living types, so UV makes them disappear.

Q3 Does ____ affect bacterial diversity or the overall bacterial community enough to care about?

a) live rock: Some does - some doesn’t
LinkQ3a
Eli believes only dead coral skeleton is actually the correct material to provide the right microbial community. Some live rock looks very diverse - covered with life but in testing it didn’t create bacterially diverse system, and was solid inside. Live rock rubble that was actual porous dead coral skeleton did repeatably create bacterially diverse system in only 4 weeks, although it wasn’t as impressively “alive” visibly.

b) corals: huge coral with a stony base - probably. Coral frags - probably not

c) live sand and mud
LinkQ3c
Added when sand nuisance looks not good - written up as R2R article. Some live rock/sand/mud material tests positive for pathogens, like uronema.

linkQ3c2
Tested two sources of live sand. One was fine, one had a batch with high levels of uronema.

d) Carbon dosing?
linkq3d
Carbon dosing generally boosts 3 families: Alteromonadaceae, Fusobacteriaceae, and Oceanospirilliaceae. These 3 are families normally present, but carbon dosing increases their proportions. It’s not yet known which carbon sources experimentally drive which families, but if you carbon dose one or more of them, will bloom in large numbers.
Also, carbon dosing tanks tend to have low nitrifying communities, as the heterotrophic uptake of carbon also causes competition for ammonia.

e) bottled bacterial products
linkq3e
“There’s always a very short list of [bacterial] ingredients, 2 or 3 - maybe some might have 7. Almost none of those seem to persist very long in the aquarium.” and even if they all did, that small number of types would do almost nothing for measured diversity.

linkQ3e2
“The components of bottled bacterial products are not the components of a reef tank microbiome, in a venn diagram there’s little intersection between those two circles. The viewer can interpret that how they wish.”
These products DO have an effect on the microbiome of the tank. These effects are seen over and over. If you dose most bottled bacterial products, you will see a bloom in the family Fusobacteriaceae (one of the families Eli has said increase from carbon dosing). But this family is not a component of the bottled products. A lot of the effects that we see from bottled products probably come from the addition of nutrients in the bottles that feed bacteria resident in the tank already.
It seems they are selecting bacteria for the bottles intended for a specific purpose “consuming ammonia” “degrading polysaccharides form algal cell walls” but having those bacteria become part of the ongoing community is not an expectation and it doesn’t seem to happen.
Eli says he thinks they are overused in the hobby and adding to an established tank is probably not a sensible use of the products.

f) macroalgae fuge:
linkQ3f
No statistical difference in overall diversity in systems with/without fuges. Some major groups are affected, though. Flavobacteraceae are known from literature to be algal-surface associated, and they are measured to be higher in many tanks with macroalgae. Alteromonadaceae feed on carbohydrates, which are released by macroalgae, so in principle ought to be higher in systems with macroalgae (no mention if measured data supports that).

g) mixed reef vs SPS:
Don’t know if one is more diverse than another. No data.

h) barebottom vs sandbed
linkQ3h
No statistical difference found, but Eli believes that there wasn’t enough data and with more sandbed data - tanks with sandbeds will show more diversity than barebottom. There is a different microenvironment in the sand, so communities ought to be different. Sand has types of microbes not present in the water and/but… the diversity of aquarium sand itself is often kind of low - because sand contains big biofilms that are basically just one type.

i) skimmer?
linkQ3i
Tanks with skimmers still record good levels of pelagibacteraceae ( the most common bacteria in the water on real reefs), so it is not dangerously efficient at removing typical bacteria. Unlike UV, which can be dangerously efficient.
linkQ3i2
Hard to answer definitive statistical differences with/without skimmer, because the database of people with no skimming is so small.

j) UV ?
linkQ3j
UV strongly removes the single family common to tanks that is the most prevalent on real reefs - pelagibacteraceae. The effect is so strong that Eli can tell if your UV bulb needs replacing by whether you are running UV and still have this family. For that reason Eli likes to caution against running UV for no reason. But he always mentions that there are plenty of healthy coral tanks with UV, so it’s not an absolute need to have this group.

k) Trace elements?
LinkQ3k
Don’t know. No data on it, but the expectation from literature is that Iron certainly will. Other minor components of seawater may also.

Q4 if corals are having issues, should you check the bacteria?
LinkQ4
1st, check chemistry parameters yourself. 2nd, check ICP. 3rd then look at bacteria if no answers from the others. .

Q5 Do established tanks that are tested repeatedly show stable consistent results, or constant changes?
linkQ5
They will often test very stable month after month, and then something (a disturbance) changes and the microbiome will be totally different. These might represent nutrient shifts.

Q6 Have you tested ____ bacterial product, will you write an article?
LinkQ6
They’ve tested a bunch of products. Probably not going to be an article. He decided that making a bunch of companies mad was not a great business strategy to start with. But he is happy to run tests on products for any hobbyist who wants to know and share - he’s just not going to write an article listing the bacterial ingredients in all the hobby products.

Q7 Are some bacteria only in water, and others only on surfaces?
LinkQ7
Although some groups grow on surfaces, they are easily measured in the water. Likewise groups that live in the water are measured on surfaces. These distinctions aren’t absolutes, and the same applies to nitrifiers.

Q8 What coral pathogens are detected in the hobby?
LinkQ8
Of nine suspected pathogens responsible for Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease, four are found in the hobby, with a couple of them in 20% of tanks. (the strongest candidate - in 100% of wild diseased corals, was in 3% of hobby tanks.) It’s impossible to know if these pathogens affect our corals because we are mixing pathogens from the caribbean with corals that aren’t from the caribbean. So they would never meet in nature, thus there’s no data on them.
There’s also an R2R thread on aquabiomics nailing down Brown Jelly Disease to one particular bacteria.

Q9 how does diversity trend over time?
LinkQ9
Tanks over time (years) tend to trend down in bacterial diversity. Avoiding this - if that’s your goal, is probably easiest done by supplementation with small occasional amounts of live sand/mud. (Be aware some bags of these products test positive for fish/coral pathogens - so it’s not an activity with no downside.)

Q10 Tank start with ammonia or ghost feeding?
LinkQ10
Ghost feeding is what Eli does. Because the community of organisms that exists on reefs and in reef tanks is large and diverse and slow to establish. Ammonia-only delays that, compared to starting with a natural food so that the rest of the community can begin maturing at the same time as the nitrifiers.

Q11 How do we know that any particular family, or microbial diversity, or any other measured difference is important for corals?
LinkQ11
We don’t. No experiment demonstrates that, and you can always find some happy tank with an undetectable level of whatever particular bacteria you are interested in. The argument for these things is trying to mimic nature. Corals are bombarded with bacteria on real reefs and the majority of these are pelagibacteraceae.

Q12 what group of bacteria are most closely associated with coral?
LinkQ12
Vibrio, are a group that is often thought of as concerning because it’s got many known pathogens in it, but it’s also the group that is most associated with animal surfaces like coral flesh. Coral farms can have over 50% vibrionaceae in their water samples. That doesn’t mean they have pathogens, it just means there are a lot of good and bad bacteria in that same family.

Q13 Under what situations does Eli think that live rubble and live sand/mud are useful for the bacterial community?
LinkQ13
Eli has done experiments using live reef rubble (live rock in the form of dead coral skeletons) to establish a good community to start a tank and live sand/mud to enhance a community in an established tank. Perhaps the added surface area of sand/mud makes it more useful in a system already established. But it may be that both materials are good in both situations, but the experiments are as listed above.

Q14 Do corals eat bacteria?
LinkQ14
It’s contentious among coral scientists, but there’s good evidence from radio-labeling that coral ingest nutrients from bacteria, but we have no idea what bacteria they eat. By number they encounter pelagibacteriaceae the most - but no data to say that's what they eat.

[edit: maybe links work now]

Last edited:

mmoner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now should we accept this summary as empirical or conventional? Some years ago tanks which were seeded with NSW were looking much healthier and corals happier(might be related?).

Last edited:
OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now should we accept this summary as empirical or conventional?
I think these Qs are ones that aquabiomics had data that directly answered, with a few exceptions.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched some of those talks earlier. I find it interesting that despite the fact that mature reef tank bacterial biom consists of multiple bacterial families ( hundreds or more) but many reefers prefers to buy ready solution in a bottle, which accidentally not only carries just few families, but most probably not those which are represented in "average" mature reef tank. I understand that all this is new, mostly uncharted territory, but it becomes more and more evident to me that successful reef tank cannot be established by mixing few bottles of bacteria and coralline algae.
And then there is all meiofauna and other organisms, which are omitted from our talk. All of us want to have beautiful piece of nature, but not everyone understand that you need those pieces of nature with all creatures big and small to be introduced to your tank and not from the bottle, but rather on Live Rock, coral frags, hermit crabs, snails, rubble etc.
Happy Reefing everyone!

AquaBiomics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquabiomics is a joke. Not a lab. At hobby pricing nobody should really expect more, but that is not how they are presented.
I'm scratching my head at this comment, but can't really find the right emoji to express it.

When I'm extracting clients DNA, amplifying specific genetic markers, attaching synthetic oligonucleotides, and quantifying the products for sequencing -- where exactly do you suggest I'm doing this? In my garage or something?

AquaBiomics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've meant to start this discussion thread for a while... so here we go.

Reef hobbyists have a lot of ideas about biodiversity and what it means in a reef system. A lot of these ideas (mine included) are reasoning from personal experience of myself and others, and how we think it ought to work. Mostly this is because the concepts are fuzzy and we just don't have much data - so reasoning from collective experience is the best we've got in these data-sparse areas.
But that's changing - there are a lot of concepts in this discussion that we now actually have pretty good data to ground ourselves in and think more concretely about - surrounding the concepts of biodiversity, maturity, balance etc. BRS did a series of 11 videos (full playlist) in 2022 "Biome Cycling" involving 12 side by side aquaria run in parallel for 10 months, with detailed observations and data. This was done at a scale and expense that the hobbyist can't duplicate and I think the results are of good quality, and the data is worth digesting even if I don't buy all his reasoning and conclusions. Given how much we think and talk about these ideas like the "ugly phase", biodiversity, maturity, balance etc - this data deserves way more discussion than it has received so far. It's a ton of data, observations, and reasoning to sift through. Way more than one post,
So I'll try to occasionally pull one big idea at a time that I think is well demonstrated by the data, and is worth talking about.

Short summary of the overall exercise. (meet the tanks - Ep 3)
They started 12 tanks from different initial ingredients:
1) Dry sand and Rock - control
2) Dry sand and Rock + Coral frags/colonies
3) Dry rock, live sand in a bag
4) Synthetic live rock cured in seawater
5) Dry Rock and sand + live rock rubble cured in the dark, in dark sump
6) Live Rock and Sand directly from established tank
7) Dry rockand sand + 2 cups of established tank sand
8) Paper-wet indonesian live rock and dry sand
9) Gulf live rock shipped in water and dry sand
10) Dry rock and sand + Aquaforest reef mud
11) Dry rock and sand + 100% water from established system
12) Dry rock and sand + biobrick from established system

All tanks were given two clownfish and were kept dark for 4 weeks, then moderate "LPS lighting" from weeks 5-10, then high "SPS lighting" from weeks 11-15.
They tested each tank via aquabiomics at week 2, week 4, 10, and 15.
(What aquabiomics is and what was measured - Ep 4)

Idea 1: Biodiversity is dead, Balance is the new "biodiversity"
Aquabiomics gives two overall statistical measures/scores:
Biodiversity is a statistical measure of the bacterial families that make up more than 1% of the measured genetic material.
Balance is a measure of how much the present bacterial families look similar to those in established reef systems.

Here's the backwards thing that kills many ideas about biodiversity (like mine). In essentially every system that was started with any live material, The Biodiversity fell while the Balance rose. The biodiversity is initially higher especially in tanks started with a lot of live material like the live rock, but gradually falls. The Balance score - on the other hand, starts extremely low, but in every decent-looking tank climbs over time to more closely resemble typical reef tanks.
So early on, the high biodiversity likely represents a disturbed system, with many food sources of dead, disturbed and out of place organisms, and quick bacterial growth in response - but those early bacterial families look nothing like the eventual expected families that will make up a well-established tank.
Put another way, it is the death and loss of early bacterial diversity that helps shape the microbiome to look more like eventual reef systems. The Balance is a far better measure of this process of moving towards an established system than the biodiversity is, and perhaps the balance score isn't a terrible marker for biofilm maturity and system stability overall.
Ryan explains this idea of high biodiversity in tanks that look awful, and the balance being a better indicator here Ep 7 3:01-3:48

This data is in the videos Ep 5, 6, 7.

And here's Idea 2a and 2b in post 51

Idea 3 in post 73

here's a rundown of what aquabiomics has measured or concluded about many Frequently Asked Questions regarding hobby tank microbiomes in post 101

Hi taricha,

Just joining this conversation after a long time away.

The first and most important comment I want to make about this experiment is that, as you know from your experience running well replicated experiments, that we need to be careful drawing conclusions from unreplicated experiments.

With that said I agree in general with the model that I think you're suggesting. It seems to me that diversity may be valuable primarily so that we catch the right types that can eventually outcompete the others and lead to the development of the typical climax community -- as reflected in a high balance score.

We didn't do any formal statistical analysis of the treatments in this experiment - this was BRS' experiment - but my subjective impression was that this experiment provided nice evidence that high balance scores contributed to healthy communities. Which is just to say that having a typical community composition - a composition similar to that of mature reef tanks - is important.

I have to catch up on the rest of this thread but wanted to respond to the OP especially since I agree with a lot of what you're saying here. Thanks for starting this!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post 101 is so incredibly helpful T.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swote they did, they dont? Well then. That changes a lot

I see I have gotten that from some other posts on here, and took it as fact.

That gives me even higher regard for the micro biome series.
They sell algaebarn products though if that matters to you. You can buy the pods on the BRS website :)

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eli

I would like to know if you still feel we can't know if a set of rocks is cycled for basic ammonia control without testing them.

Not asking about in depth community + speciation analysis but just basic reefing: will my fish and system die or live as the assessment. We put a lot of work into testless reef tank cycling for years, thousands of assessments, to aid people who only have api kits (don't want to pay $200 for seneye) but can't wield them like pro chemists, we wanted a way to help the masses free of charge. I'm wanting your 2023 assessment of the basic start date analysis for common reefers, without testing at all. I don't want everything to be for charge in reefing, so I'm curious to know where you stand on that now

we have hundreds of ready examples of testless dry rock setups, and hundreds of ready examples of live rock visually verified skip cycles (at no time is a live rock covered in serupulid worms and coralline and little tufts of algae and wet pigmented slicks of growth unable to control ammonia-we can accurately gauge ready live rock due to its benthic inclusions without fail)

for dry rock ready calls we don’t need testing, we need to only know their cycling provisions and if they’ve waited ten days like the ammonia line on a cycling chart shows. All cycling charts have a ~ten day ammonia drop date for a reason / only reefers armed with api or Red Sea doubt those freely discernible wait times. When ten days is deemed too short with legitimate digital testing, a new set of cycling charts will roll out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idea 4:
Just because you add a bacterial type, doesn't mean it will become resident in the tank. Surprisingly, even if you add a bacterial type that is common to reef tanks, and you run reef tank conditions, doesn't ensure that it'll become a detectable part of the community.

As an example, take the bacterial family Vibrionaceae: In the BRS data, all of the established source tanks had significant amounts of this family, which is closely associated with animal and especially coral surfaces. It can be at very high levels in coral-packed systems.

But note the almost total absence of Vibrionaceae (hot pink bar on the bottom) by week 15 in all 12 treatment tanks.
NoVibrios.png

In each treatment in this chart, the rightmost bar is week 15.
Only the Gulf Rock has a tiny detectable amount of this family.
All the established BRS tanks had it, and many of the 12 experimental tanks had material pulled from those 3 tanks: rubble from dark sump, sand, rock & sand, 100% water, biobrick, and even corals.

So even if you know you are adding a certain type of bacteria, and even if you know it usually reaches significant levels in reef tanks, it's still not a slam dunk that it will become significant in any modest time frame.
It's apparently more complicated than that to add and meet all the requirements for a certain family to become a significant resident in a system.

(I suspect the coral added tank would have shown notable Vibrionaceae eventually, but apparently "eventually" is even longer than 15 weeks.
Recurring theme, some of these processes look way slower than the stuff we normally think of in starting a tank. )

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post 101 is so incredibly helpful T.
Thanks. Yep, some of those questions get discussed a whole bunch, but apparently they have some data-based answers.

mmoner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the nutrient parameters should be concerned on diversity as well. About the part that we do not catch any biome of "bottled" products in these experiments, but we also witness that when we start-up with some of them, the tank bottoms out N : P all the way from the beginning, then struggle to raising them back begins(avoiding nasties). They do their job and then perish ? So much to discover...

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How exactly does one use this information

are we all in agreement that these dna samples provide a very neat picture into some of the communities in the tank, but in the end we can’t respond whatsoever

it wouldn’t matter if we added or subtracted surfaces, bottled dosers even with the communities we want

in the end the variables that make up the microbial biota will shift as they will outside our control / we are helpless to impact long term communities- that’s my takeaway from the summaries

*once a given adjustment method is touted I can’t wait to see follow up testing in 10-20 reef systems across homes (other people’s homes as reported in the sampling. Not one persons assessment in a controlled lab) at the 3, 12, and 24 month mark for each system presented as a comparison grid like Taricha shows above. It’s fascinating to have this look into the residents of the tank, but we can’t do anything about it all- that makes the measurement less appealing to me so far though it’s fascinating to think of the changes that will come for dna sampling over the next five years. This V1 is fascinating but we can’t utilize it for anything. I would never think that a set of rubble or rocks or water deemed free of fish disease is truly free and that we’d use the test results to skip quarantine and fallow in someone’s $35K sps system with thousands in delicate fish in tow

we still need basic common and free fallow and quarantine to prevent vectoring / these tests absolutely can’t rule out fish disease vectoring…

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FAQ / what interesting things does aquabiomics now know/believe?
I was stuck on a long solo drive recently, so I listened to a handful of talks, interviews and Q&As that Eli Meyer of aquabiomics has given in the last year and pulled out all the interesting (to me) bits that he now knows or believes based on looking back at a couple of years of hobby data.
These are the points I found interesting, and most are semi-relevant to this discussion.

Q1: what’s the typical community composition based on? / How similar to a real reef is it?
linkQ1
The picture of the “average” tank is based on hobby - not wild reefs, because hobby tank microbiomes look very unlike real reefs.
First - the pic of typical tank is based on all the tanks in the database that are “normal” reef tanks - not experimental, not aquaculture facilities, not tanks with any bad health issues, die-offs, nor any tanks where the sampling might have given low quality data. Beyond that it’s the average of the hobby. And the hobby shows clear repeatable dominant families - which are used to mark the balance score.

Q2 how is hobby “typical” different from Real reefs?
linkQ2
Real reefs are most dominated by 3 groups in the water: the largest is pelagibacteraceae, and then 2 kinds of single cell tiny planktonic cyanobacteria.(I think this is a reference to Synechococcus and Prochlorococcus). Hobby tanks can have the pelagibacteraceae as a major component, but they are true water-living types, so UV makes them disappear.

Q3 Does ____ affect bacterial diversity or the overall bacterial community enough to care about?

a) live rock: Some does - some doesn’t
LinkQ3a
Eli believes only dead coral skeleton is actually the correct material to provide the right microbial community. Some live rock looks very diverse - covered with life but in testing it didn’t create bacterially diverse system, and was solid inside. Live rock rubble that was actual porous dead coral skeleton did repeatably create bacterially diverse system in only 4 weeks, although it wasn’t as impressively “alive” visibly.

b) corals: huge coral with a stony base - probably. Coral frags - probably not

c) live sand and mud
LinkQ3c
Added when sand nuisance looks not good - written up as R2R article. Some live rock/sand/mud material tests positive for pathogens, like uronema.

linkQ3c2
Tested two sources of live sand. One was fine, one had a batch with high levels of uronema.

d) Carbon dosing?
linkq3d
Carbon dosing generally boosts 3 families: Alteromonadaceae, Fusobacteriaceae, and Oceanospirilliaceae. These 3 are families normally present, but carbon dosing increases their proportions. It’s not yet known which carbon sources experimentally drive which families, but if you carbon dose one or more of them, will bloom in large numbers.
Also, carbon dosing tanks tend to have low nitrifying communities, as the heterotrophic uptake of carbon also causes competition for ammonia.

e) bottled bacterial products
linkq3e
“There’s always a very short list of [bacterial] ingredients, 2 or 3 - maybe some might have 7. Almost none of those seem to persist very long in the aquarium.” and even if they all did, that small number of types would do almost nothing for measured diversity.

linkQ3e2
“The components of bottled bacterial products are not the components of a reef tank microbiome, in a venn diagram there’s little intersection between those two circles. The viewer can interpret that how they wish.”
These products DO have an effect on the microbiome of the tank. These effects are seen over and over. If you dose most bottled bacterial products, you will see a bloom in the family Fusobacteriaceae (one of the families Eli has said increase from carbon dosing). But this family is not a component of the bottled products. A lot of the effects that we see from bottled products probably come from the addition of nutrients in the bottles that feed bacteria resident in the tank already.
It seems they are selecting bacteria for the bottles intended for a specific purpose “consuming ammonia” “degrading polysaccharides form algal cell walls” but having those bacteria become part of the ongoing community is not an expectation and it doesn’t seem to happen.
Eli says he thinks they are overused in the hobby and adding to an established tank is probably not a sensible use of the products.

f) macroalgae fuge:
linkQ3f
No statistical difference in overall diversity in systems with/without fuges. Some major groups are affected, though. Flavobacteraceae are known from literature to be algal-surface associated, and they are measured to be higher in many tanks with macroalgae. Alteromonadaceae feed on carbohydrates, which are released by macroalgae, so in principle ought to be higher in systems with macroalgae (no mention if measured data supports that).

g) mixed reef vs SPS:
Don’t know if one is more diverse than another. No data.

h) barebottom vs sandbed
linkQ3h
No statistical difference found, but Eli believes that there wasn’t enough data and with more sandbed data - tanks with sandbeds will show more diversity than barebottom. There is a different microenvironment in the sand, so communities ought to be different. Sand has types of microbes not present in the water and/but… the diversity of aquarium sand itself is often kind of low - because sand contains big biofilms that are basically just one type.

i) skimmer?
linkQ3i
Tanks with skimmers still record good levels of pelagibacteraceae ( the most common bacteria in the water on real reefs), so it is not dangerously efficient at removing typical bacteria. Unlike UV, which can be dangerously efficient.
linkQ3i2
Hard to answer definitive statistical differences with/without skimmer, because the database of people with no skimming is so small.

j) UV ?
linkQ3j
UV strongly removes the single family common to tanks that is the most prevalent on real reefs - pelagibacteraceae. The effect is so strong that Eli can tell if your UV bulb needs replacing by whether you are running UV and still have this family. For that reason Eli likes to caution against running UV for no reason. But he always mentions that there are plenty of healthy coral tanks with UV, so it’s not an absolute need to have this group.

k) Trace elements?
LinkQ3k
Don’t know. No data on it, but the expectation from literature is that Iron certainly will. Other minor components of seawater may also.

Q4 if corals are having issues, should you check the bacteria?
LinkQ4
1st, check chemistry parameters yourself. 2nd, check ICP. 3rd then look at bacteria if no answers from the others. .

Q5 Do established tanks that are tested repeatedly show stable consistent results, or constant changes?
linkQ5
They will often test very stable month after month, and then something (a disturbance) changes and the microbiome will be totally different. These might represent nutrient shifts.

Q6 Have you tested ____ bacterial product, will you write an article?
LinkQ6
They’ve tested a bunch of products. Probably not going to be an article. He decided that making a bunch of companies mad was not a great business strategy to start with. But he is happy to run tests on products for any hobbyist who wants to know and share - he’s just not going to write an article listing the bacterial ingredients in all the hobby products.

Q7 Are some bacteria only in water, and others only on surfaces?
LinkQ7
Although some groups grow on surfaces, they are easily measured in the water. Likewise groups that live in the water are measured on surfaces. These distinctions aren’t absolutes, and the same applies to nitrifiers.

Q8 What coral pathogens are detected in the hobby?
LinkQ8
Of nine suspected pathogens responsible for Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease, four are found in the hobby, with a couple of them in 20% of tanks. (the strongest candidate - in 100% of wild diseased corals, was in 3% of hobby tanks.) It’s impossible to know if these pathogens affect our corals because we are mixing pathogens from the caribbean with corals that aren’t from the caribbean. So they would never meet in nature, thus there’s no data on them.
There’s also an R2R thread on aquabiomics nailing down Brown Jelly Disease to one particular bacteria.

Q9 how does diversity trend over time?
LinkQ9
Tanks over time (years) tend to trend down in bacterial diversity. Avoiding this - if that’s your goal, is probably easiest done by supplementation with small occasional amounts of live sand/mud. (Be aware some bags of these products test positive for fish/coral pathogens - so it’s not an activity with no downside.)

Q10 Tank start with ammonia or ghost feeding?
LinkQ10
Ghost feeding is what Eli does. Because the community of organisms that exists on reefs and in reef tanks is large and diverse and slow to establish. Ammonia-only delays that, compared to starting with a natural food so that the rest of the community can begin maturing at the same time as the nitrifiers.

Q11 How do we know that any particular family, or microbial diversity, or any other measured difference is important for corals?
LinkQ11
We don’t. No experiment demonstrates that, and you can always find some happy tank with an undetectable level of whatever particular bacteria you are interested in. The argument for these things is trying to mimic nature. Corals are bombarded with bacteria on real reefs and the majority of these are pelagibacteraceae.

Q12 what group of bacteria are most closely associated with coral?
LinkQ12
Vibrio, are a group that is often thought of as concerning because it’s got many known pathogens in it, but it’s also the group that is most associated with animal surfaces like coral flesh. Coral farms can have over 50% vibrionaceae in their water samples. That doesn’t mean they have pathogens, it just means there are a lot of good and bad bacteria in that same family.

Q13 Under what situations does Eli think that live rubble and live sand/mud are useful for the bacterial community?
LinkQ13
Eli has done experiments using live reef rubble (live rock in the form of dead coral skeletons) to establish a good community to start a tank and live sand/mud to enhance a community in an established tank. Perhaps the added surface area of sand/mud makes it more useful in a system already established. But it may be that both materials are good in both situations, but the experiments are as listed above.

Q14 Do corals eat bacteria?
LinkQ14
It’s contentious among coral scientists, but there’s good evidence from radio-labeling that coral ingest nutrients from bacteria, but we have no idea what bacteria they eat. By number they encounter pelagibacteriaceae the most - but no data to say that's what they eat.

[edit: maybe links work now]

Nice summary, thanks!

Most or all of those comments seem to me to be indicative of a tool that is well suited to asking specific questions (such as whether bacteria in a bottle adds bacteria that continue to live in the tank or not), or in developing a better general understanding of bacteria in reef tanks in general, and not so much as a useful tool for an ordinary reefer checking to see if his or her husbandry practices are optimal or need a tweak of some sort.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an example where I feel DNA testing is misleading reefers into avoiding the tough work in disease preps

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is purely, solely, exclusively, a novelty window view into a reef

the rubble cannot be assured to be disease free, that's a gimmick hint being given to buyers

if the rubble is fallow prepped, that's what makes it disease free as best as possible and even that can't be assured totally disease free. the dna sampling can easily just be missing detection of other diseases.

dna testing is being subbed for all manner of actual thorough disease preps above. the novelty of it is being grossly oversold to buyers.

I know there's no statement advising customers to use the testing in place of basic disease preps, I also don't see lots of warning about the nonvalidity and nonutility of the testing for managing tanks either. that gray zone is a working sales gradient.

Last edited:

metalle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate all the work done so far to gain some better understanding and for free. I agree that more rigorous scientific approach is needed with clear peer review standards, however I’m also mindful of the cost. Would love more data… not complaining but taking all data and conclusions with caution. As the thread is a good start, anyone can also take the initiative and document their experiences. What other scientific bionomic measurement labs do we have?
Take your baseline build theory as you setup your aquarium, write down your plan and rationale and thoughts of what you believe for each measurement interval - take time and write up what you are supposed to do and what you did ( measure PAR,ICP etc), measure again at the time interval you like and then turn on lights(maybe measure par spectrum again).
Send to lab of preference, we can later design an inter lab study prepare a ASTM precision and bias statement for the method. I believe this is a good start and together we can all contribute to more data. Thoughts?

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in the end the variables that make up the microbial biota will shift as they will outside our control / we are helpless to impact long term communities- that’s my takeaway from the summaries
Maybe not.
There's a number of ways you can push the community in various directions. Some of them have been demonstrated in posted articles. Others are in the aquabiomics data (carbon dosing, UV etc).

It's worth asking why none of the BRS treatment communities looked like long-term established tank communities (diversity- and bacterial family-wise) - but that's a separate post....

Also, all this depends on your marker for a successful community. Like I mentioned earlier: if you are trying to get >=50%ile diversity, then the BRS data says it's a long hard slog with no guarantees.
If your goal is balance that looks like the typical tank, thenthere were many BRS treatments that got there, and some did it quickly, and some looked good in the process. A much Rosier picture.

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice summary, thanks!

Most or all of those comments seem to me to be indicative of a tool that is well suited to asking specific questions (such as whether bacteria in a bottle adds bacteria that continue to live in the tank or not), or in developing a better general understanding of bacteria in reef tanks in general, and not so much as a useful tool for an ordinary reefer checking to see if his or her husbandry practices are optimal or need a tweak of some sort.

Reminds me of a quote from a book about olympic level athletes and genetics.

"The best genetic test right now is the stopwatch."

There are all sorts of genetic factors that determine ability for being an Olympic level distance runner. In fact, you have to win the genetic lottery in multiple traits just to have a chance. It's pretty much hard-coded.
But the most accurate way to find out if you actually have those genes isn't a genetic test. It's the functional "go out and run" test.

The reef version of that stopwatch is that (beyond chemistry) we evaluate if our tanks can support happy coral communities by the functional test: "buy a few frags and find out"

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still confused on this from the above pls clarify

carbon dosing and UV were already in use and known to affect bacterial communities before dna testing was in place for reef tanks

you're saying without his data we're not able to know when to utilize those modes? I can see how his data shows changes after employing those modes, but reefers are in it for the physical expression within the tank...the visual changes we see after usage. getting to see it for cost as a printout / chart seems neat for sure but it's after the fact>

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back